Walkie Talkie for Road Trip

Buzzzz

hi bros,

I am planning a road trip up north with few families.

about 3-4 cars and am considering we need the walkie talkie for the drive journey.

any bros here know is there anywhere we can find walkie-talkie for T-loan? need abt 3 sets for a week.

hope bros with experience can share. E.g. which range type is suitable etc.

thanks much.

Edited by Buzzzz
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

hi bros,

about 3-4 cars and am considering we need the walkie talkie for the drive journey.

any bros here know is there anywhere we can find walkie-talkie for T-loan? need abt 3 sets for a week.

thanks much.

Keep it out of sight of MIW when up north.

• Praise 2

hi bros,

thanks much.

Last time we use wt fr road trips. Mainly to keep in touch when we get seperated n all no gps.

Nowadays all got gps so no prob of getting lost n if really need to tok we just use our mobile phones as we just switch to roam.

If u still wan wt just get those basic motorola abt $100 plus a pair. Get 2pr if u need 4 sets n prog all to same channel.

Just remember range is not so good in built up areas n better in open areas. Carry spare batteries depending how much u using them.

Ty cn also b used when all groups seperate in shopping centre fr shopping n eating n cn contact when all wan to regroup n move to next location.

• Praise 1

keep it out of sight when going through custom clearance (sing and malaysia). most of the sets are not legal to used in Singapore and Malaysia. I was stop in Tuas check point some years ago for having walkie talkie in my car. they ask me to contact IDA and I was given a warning not to used it in Singapore.

• Praise 2

All drivers should not use walkie talkie in both SIN & MY immigration.

Also, no hp should be used. Respect the rules and regulations of immigration.

there is sign board refrain from using hp and talking at immigration. Walkie Talkie likewise.

If you caught using hp or walkie talkie, they will definitely interrogate you or make issue with your equipment.

• Praise 2

All drivers should not use walkie talkie in both SIN & MY immigration.

Also, no hp should be used. Respect the rules and regulations of immigration.

there is sign board refrain from using hp and talking at immigration. Walkie Talkie likewise.

If you caught using hp or walkie talkie, they will definitely interrogate you or make issue with your equipment.

oh did not know cannot use hp at immigration. Thanks

• Praise 2

Supercharged

If we wanna buy a set, how do we know that set is legal to use? Look out for the IDA sticker on the set?

• Praise 1

My driving kakis and I always remind each other to switch off our WTs before clearing immigrations, both ways.

And don't be seen using hp too. Give them your full attention to avoid looking suspicious.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

and also take note that cameras (including carcams) are a no-no at immigration counters too.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

If we wanna buy a set, how do we know that set is legal to use? Look out for the IDA sticker on the set?

as long as on FRS frequency, its not regulated so no need IDA approval.

anything more than 5w is regulated and needs to be registered (meaning you need to pay subscription)

• Praise 1

yes...must have IDA sticker on the set.

i kena once, and want me to send to IDA for approval....but i throw the set away....bot from simlim twr some times back...i ask why is it legal to be sold? and if not, why no enforcement? consumers like me i dunno wat???

• Praise 2

Twincharged

yes...must have IDA sticker on the set.

i kena once, and want me to send to IDA for approval....but i throw the set away....bot from simlim twr some times back...i ask why is it legal to be sold? and if not, why no enforcement? consumers like me i dunno wat???

just look at the market ... how many mobile phone handsets out there without IDA sticker ??

hi bros,

thanks much.

Can try rental but not cost effective.

If you have regular groups of friends that you drive up north with, it would be cost wise to purchase your own.

We ever tried the cheap Motorola ( <$110 ) sets but found that they are only suitable for those who drive close in a convoy.

For us, we are used to depart together but once we hit MY, we would drive independently to a preplanned

destination. So, we got the Yuzu sets that are comparable to Motorola ( >$400 ) but lower in cost.

Edited by TameDriver

Twincharged

Can try rental but not cost effective.

If you have regular groups of friends that you drive up north with, it would be cost wise to purchase your own.

We ever tried the cheap Motorola ( <$110 ) sets but found that they are only suitable for those who drive close in a convoy.

For us, we are used to depart together but once we hit MY, we would drive independently to a preplanned

destination. So, we got the Yuzu sets that are comparable to Motorola ( >$300 ) but lower in cost.

usually these FRS sets will give you about 30m 50m only ... the advertised 2km range is out of the question !!

even the Motorola Pacer can't give longer range.

but take note, when using FRS sets, the freq is a "free" so as long as someone else is using a set programmed to the same channel, TS will be making lots of new friends along the way.

TS want to borrow ? PM me .... my sets are sitting in the cupboard ... as too poor to buy the AAA batteries needed to run them.

:D:D those that need AA or AAA batteries quite ineffective except when driving one infront of the other.

The Yusu set uses rechargeable lithium batt and range is abt 5km. So, we just need to recharge every or alternate nights.

Usually our daily mileage is 500-600 km.

Twincharged

:D:D those that need AA or AAA batteries quite ineffective except when driving one infront of the other.

The Yusu set uses rechargeable lithium batt and range is abt 5km. So, we just need to recharge every or alternate nights.

Usually our daily mileage is 500-600 km.

maybe you can elaborate on the Yusu set ? model ? specs ? webby ?

maybe you can elaborate on the Yusu set ? model ? specs ? webby ?

Sori, wrong spelling . It's Yaesu. Loan out the set to a friend. Shall post the details once I get it back in abt a wk's time.

Actually TS can google the sets himself.....so many models. Some are cheaper if ordered in bulk.

↡ Advertisement