Causes of Food poisoning

Darthrevan

wa1310e.jpg

It might be safer to give the right amount of money to food sellers, and not get back any change from them.

A local study has found two types of bacteria on currency notes and coins obtained from a local canteen. The bacteria found are of the S. aureus and B. cereus species, which are among the most common bacteria types that lead to food poisoning.

The canteen cannot be named due to an agreement it has with the researchers.

Ten two-dollar notes, five one-dollar coins and five 10-cent coins were acquired from the canteen on a day in July for the Lifebuoy Germ Protection Study. Conducted by an independent microbiology laboratory, it found both the notes and coins had bacteria, though the amount was not measured.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...-study-20121013

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Don't need a rocket scientists to tell me that,,.. it's well known since my grandfather time that money is dirty, full of bacteria or viruses....

• Praise 2

while it may be obvious..not many pple are bothered to wash their hands after handling $$..especially the food preparers..and certainly not many bothered to pay exact amount

we're becoming quite a mysophobic society.

Maybe that's why each newer generation gets weaker?

In 2012, we can reasonably expect our children to see 80.

In 1900, the children likely wouldn't have seen 50.

Yes, things were just so much better then. [:/]

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

They should show this article to hawkers. I still see stall operators handle uncooked foods and money with bare hand...

Also that day saw a washed n ready for use bowl laid a leftover beansprout inside. [dead]

If we want them to have tip top high end hygiene habits, expect longer waiting time and prepare to pay more. Alternatively, eat at restaurant (although not necessary cleaner). Better still if more people dine at restaurant, then i no need queue so long for my favourite hawkers.

Edited by Xanavi
  • Praise 1

Money may be dirty, but I like them all the same! Anyone dun want can give me... i go wash clean clean [laugh]

wash money ! :huh: I go report police :D

Anybody here knows where can buy UV C sanitizing wand for killing germs and virus and dust mite ?

I am searching for this but only available overseas

Neutral Newbie

Perhaps it could be due to advancement and availability of medical care?

Neutral Newbie

Actually, what I've learnt while I was in virology and immunology back then was... Being too clean has other detrimental effects too.

For example, you don't see Auto-Immune diseases in countries like Africa, but in developed countries, auto-immune diseases exists.

While it may be a trade off that we live longer, it doesn't necessarily mean we live healthier.

I'd say the old grandmother saying that " a little of dirt is good for you " ^_^