Young pple got no hope

Ahtong

Dear Gilbert,

I am writing to you because i think I need help.

I graduated from NUS engineering, and back while in school, I thought that I would be highly employable with people rushing to give me job offers.

However, I could not be more wrong.

When I graduated, we were facing the aftermath of the 2007-2009 financial crisis.

It was hard to get employed and the future wasn

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

i find it strange he had to emphasize he was from NUS. so what? once you go out into working life, you may realize your boss only got a poly dip, but he is more successful than you. plus .. a lot of the stuff we've done in school doesn't necessarily prepare us for working life ... and I think this guy might have an issue since he couldn't stay at one job for very long ..

not sure what his best bet is, but maybe he should try something different (property / insurance agent etc) and see how those people leg it. (i could be wrong about this though .. but we dont know what the real issue with him is)

as usual there are many things to blame, it was not his fault but his life happen to be tougher than others, then again this is life!

Dear Gilbert,

I graduated from NUS engineering, and back while in school, I thought that I would be highly employable with people rushing to give me job offers.

When I graduated, we were facing the aftermath of the 2007-2009 financial crisis.

No regulating on number of students vs the real industrial needs. That's the problem of previous local UNI. Except medical and law. During my time, I have a friend got into plastic technology back in late 80's. After he graduated. The industries disappeared and most moved out of Singapore and Malaysia. Over the years, we have too many engineering graduates flooding the market. As for my friend, now ended up in F&B business and luckily he is doing all well.

Now we have many going after banking, finance, media and law. A matter of time, this will be flooding the market. Good for bosses, bad for individuals.

next time no need to quote a long message ok? :D

Dear Gilbert,

If a person always face problem at workplace, even after switching jobs a few times - it's time to take a good hard look at himself, because very likely that's where the real problem lies! [laugh]

Turbocharged

Bro. It could be your personality problem. Best talk to someone that you trust and willing to tell you where goes wrong. You just have to start reflecting and accept those opinions of you, that meant you good. I am not saying you are a typical strawberry generation. But the problem, I faced in employing Gen-Y and getting them in full gear is rather difficult. They choose job to do, rather than the company's needs.

I don't know you. I advice, is try to sensitive of company's directions and be pro-active. [:)]

easier said than done le. the other day i go for property maintenance. got some leaking ... the contractor busy send down the assistant. young fella ... need to go up into the ceiling check source of leak ... he dont want le. tenant standing there, so i just roll up sleeves, take 1 newspaper and crawl into ceiling le. the idiot contractor must be only 2-3 years younger than me ... but he say dun wan .. later his TSHIRT dirty (i wearing shirt and trousers le ...)

*sigh*

Turbocharged

If a person always face problem at workplace, even after switching jobs a few times - it's time to take a good hard look at himself, because very likely that's where the real problem lies! [laugh]

I also think so...

But again, we only his side of the story.. so maybe he's just suay..

Anyway, Engineer, if you're not particular about work/life balance, working environment.. Many shipyards and construction companies are constantly hiring..

easier said than done le. the other day i go for property maintenance. got some leaking ... the contractor busy send down the assistant. young fella ... need to go up into the ceiling check source of leak ... he dont want le. tenant standing there, so i just roll up sleeves, take 1 newspaper and crawl into ceiling le. the idiot contractor must be only 2-3 years younger than me ... but he say dun wan .. later his TSHIRT dirty (i wearing shirt and trousers le ...)

*sigh*

Are you referring to strawberry generation? :huh:

Turbocharged

Are you referring to strawberry generation? :huh:

nope .. he 26 or 27, i 29 le. but then again, i think people my generation also dont like to do this kind of job. they sit in aircon 9-5 happy liao :P

nope .. he 26 or 27, i 29 le. but then again, i think people my generation also dont like to do this kind of job. they sit in aircon 9-5 happy liao :P

Job matching problem [;)]

Turbocharged

no luck....luck plays very important part....

btw who is gilbert???

its like those dear aunt aggie thing ... gilbert is the recipient of the letter ...

its like those dear aunt aggie thing ... gilbert is the recipient of the letter ...

then why send to gilbert? not albert? :huh:

next time no need to quote a long message ok? :D

Too short, khew bo. [cool] May end up taking the puppy as the laughing point. :D

Edited by HP_Lee