Volkswagen Passat 1.8

Ario

Ytd i was at volkwagen centre. I spoken to one of the SE. He mention that the latest batch 7 speed DSG has no issue.

You already mentioned SE FROM VCS, you ask him to write black and white to back up his words and see if he dares. [;)]

May be no issue for 6 months. [:p]

• Praise 1

Apart from the DSG problem on the earlier batch of 7 speed DSG, I have really nothing to fault on the Passat ! It is a great vehicle ! I have the B6 1.8 Passat 7speed DSG.

It gives good fuel economy for it's size averaging 12 km/litre city/highway mix Singapore uncle driving style ! Up North....I get 14km/litre if I behave which I rarely do up there.... [:p]

Power wise.....it is sufficient for it's size....top speed is about 220 on the clock....solid as rock feeling at this speed !

7dec77f7.jpg

VCS stands behind their product and sent me a letter informing me of the 5 year 200,000 km warranty extension on the gear box ! Which car company did the same ?

The local VW office have their shortcomings.....but the majority of the folks there are nice if you are ! Like it is everywhere else.

Edited by Cbx750p
  • Praise 1

U r saying these because u already owned it..u think those warranty is a 'selling point'?.. . Tell me will u buy a new car with the same warranty deal but the sales guy write it down black and white the gear box for problem..... knowing it upfront and after is totally different deal..

• Praise 1

To be honest, The Passat was a fair & average performer, used to own the 1.8Turbo, a great car with moderate driving, once the turbo kicks in, it's a different story altogether, average fc too, a great car with sufficient driving pleasure on Sp road.

Today models has slightly higher spec and IT teckie, the gear issue depends on individual driving style and skills, so I do not encounter such issues.

Bottom line, Passat was a great car, to me I did not like the tame exterior look and sluggish interior design, I like car with character & added power & performance-valued.

The 1.8T will be good enough for city & Highway driving, only concerns is the low after sale value when one sell, so keep it in tip-top condition.

Most of my car are sold by me, used car dealer/s and owner are more than surprised how I kept my car after 3-4 years of driving.

I do not sent for car-wash - Only hand-washed myself

Regular servicing and maintenance is a MUST.

Enjoy your ride !

• Praise 1

I think the dsg problems happened randomly. My colleagues both driving mk5 jetta had no problems for past 100k mileage. Maybe problems happened to a small percent .

• Praise 1

Ytd i was at volkwagen centre. I spoken to one of the SE. He mention that the latest batch 7 speed DSG has no issue.

Does he recognize that past batches of 7 speed dsg have issues?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Does he recognize that past batches of 7 speed dsg have issues?

Went to check on the golf and asked the lady about DSG issues hoho she says no problem just flash the ecu and it's ok but my friend DSG died in the middle of nowhere of a traffic light and luckily the car behind did not slam into his, car has to be towed back to VW and changed mu and gearbox downtime 2 days. Funny thing is the tow guy ask my friend to push the car to the side, how to push an auto car in gear with the family members sitting in it's a safety issue.

Then lady sales swear i can check with the service counter that their 2011/12 batch DSG has no problem and that I did. True enough the service counter guy make a call and confirm YES it affects all their 7 speed dry clutch DSG!

After this sure VW will train their staff on what to politically say about their infamous DSG.

Bye VW I buy another car.

Edited by Mysnergy
  • Praise 1

I want manual passat, don't know got or not?

I don't think either the VW office or parallel importer have brought in the manual transmission Passat. Cars of this category below to lazy uncles or folks who have already had their share of manual transmission so.......the demand for a manual transmission Passat is probably very very low or next to Zero.

When the first GTI came out in 2005....there were tons of Megatronic Unit replacements ! The PIs were bleeding to the nose....replacing the MU ! The then agent Cars & Cars were also having the same problem.........subsequently...as the years lapse....the problem subsided. Now MU failures on the 6 speed wet clutch DSG units are very rare occurrence. Improvement made over the years by failure lessons learnt.

The first few batches of 7 speed DSG have problems...and loads of them. MU and clutches were common issue. Once the latest MU are used, the problem goes away.

My Passat MU was replaced last year in April and the Clutch just last week. I like the smoothness of the 7 speed DSG. Cannot seem to find another car which have the same kind of pricing, features, servicing cost, public acceptance etc.

• Praise 1

Apart from the DSG problem on the earlier batch of 7 speed DSG, I have really nothing to fault on the Passat ! It is a great vehicle ! I have the B6 1.8 Passat 7speed DSG.

It gives good fuel economy for it's size averaging 12 km/litre city/highway mix Singapore uncle driving style ! Up North....I get 14km/litre if I behave which I rarely do up there.... [:p]

Power wise.....it is sufficient for it's size....top speed is about 220 on the clock....solid as rock feeling at this speed !

VCS stands behind their product and sent me a letter informing me of the 5 year 200,000 km warranty extension on the gear box ! Which car company did the same ?

The local VW office have their shortcomings.....but the majority of the folks there are nice if you are ! Like it is everywhere else.

i thrash my car cvt gbox, 200k only 1 oil change, car warranty is 3 year or 60k.

u dare try? lol

the gbox damn problematic that y give u such a long warranty.

Edited by I-love-singapore
  • Praise 1

Reading this is like read horror story.......shits.....

I saw from the facebook today, long strings of complains on VW service and gearbox issues...

↡ Advertisement