Darth Vader now works for Mickey Mouse.

Ahtong

Disney just bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion and will do an Episode 7 due 2015.

I am not sure wheather this is good news or bad news.

LOS ANGELES - Walt Disney agreed to buy filmmaker George Lucas' Lucasfilm and its Star Wars franchise for US$4.05 billion (S$5 billion) in cash and stock, a blockbuster deal that includes the surprise promise of a new film in the series in 2015.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said yesterday that the plan is to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter. The last Star Wars picture was Revenge of the Sith in 2005 and Mr Lucas has, in the past, denied any plans for more.

Mr Lucas, a Hollywood icon known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain as a creative consultant on the new films.

"It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," he said in a statement. Mr Lucas will become the second-largest individual holder of Disney shares, with a 2.2-per-cent stake.

Disney will pay about half the purchase price in cash and issue about 40 million shares at closing.

"This is one of the greatest entertainment properties of all time," Mr Iger said. Like Disney's purchases of Marvel Entertainment and Pixar studio, LucasFilm will "drive long-term value to our shareholders", he said.

Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said the deal would lower Disney's earnings per share by a low single-digits percentage in fiscal 2013 and 2014. He also said Disney would repurchase all of the issued shares on the open market within the next two years, on top of planned buybacks.

This agreement marks the third time in less than seven years that Disney has signed a massive deal to take over a beloved studio or character portfolio.

From a fan's perspective, critics said there was sure to be at least some excitement at the prospect of episode seven in the saga of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

"Do I want to see more Star Wars movies? Not really, but they're not making these movies for me," film writer Mr Beaks wrote on Ain't It Cool News. "There's a whole new generation of Star Wars fans, and they worship the prequels like folks my age worshipped the original trilogy." REUTERS

↡ Advertisement

If they can make 3 movies from timothy zahn's books. that would be great.

Thrawn Trilogy! [pirate]

But I think they need expensive CGI to de-age Ford, Hamil and Fisher

[laugh]

which story they going to make?

Luke's Nephew become sith lord??

Disney just bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion and will do an Episode 7 due 2015.

I am not sure wheather this is good news or bad news.

LOS ANGELES - Walt Disney agreed to buy filmmaker George Lucas' Lucasfilm and its Star Wars franchise for US$4.05 billion (S$5 billion) in cash and stock, a blockbuster deal that includes the surprise promise of a new film in the series in 2015.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said yesterday that the plan is to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter. The last Star Wars picture was Revenge of the Sith in 2005 and Mr Lucas has, in the past, denied any plans for more.

Mr Lucas, a Hollywood icon known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain as a creative consultant on the new films.

"It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," he said in a statement. Mr Lucas will become the second-largest individual holder of Disney shares, with a 2.2-per-cent stake.

Disney will pay about half the purchase price in cash and issue about 40 million shares at closing.

"This is one of the greatest entertainment properties of all time," Mr Iger said. Like Disney's purchases of Marvel Entertainment and Pixar studio, LucasFilm will "drive long-term value to our shareholders", he said.

Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said the deal would lower Disney's earnings per share by a low single-digits percentage in fiscal 2013 and 2014. He also said Disney would repurchase all of the issued shares on the open market within the next two years, on top of planned buybacks.

This agreement marks the third time in less than seven years that Disney has signed a massive deal to take over a beloved studio or character portfolio.

From a fan's perspective, critics said there was sure to be at least some excitement at the prospect of episode seven in the saga of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

"Do I want to see more Star Wars movies? Not really, but they're not making these movies for me," film writer Mr Beaks wrote on Ain't It Cool News. "There's a whole new generation of Star Wars fans, and they worship the prequels like folks my age worshipped the original trilogy." REUTERS

If they can make 3 movies from timothy zahn's books. that would be great.

prefer new jedi order

Vong invasion should be interesting to watch on big screen

^_^

Edited by Enye

Thrawn Trilogy! [pirate]

But I think they need expensive CGI to de-age Ford, Hamil and Fisher

[laugh]

interesting read but

may be difficult to portray Thrawn's military genius in movies

:D

i want to see Mara Jade!

errr, i stopped at 1st few books of new jedi order. Lost its allure to me.

I like timothy zahn and kevin j anderson's books. Rest are just average fiction.

Lots of fun being made about this! [laugh]

C3PO - E

Song of the Sith

20,000 Gungans Under the Sea

Mr Solo, my name is Nick Fury. I'd like to talk to you about something called The Avengers Initiative.

These aren't the dwarves you're looking for.

Snow white and the 7 droids

The Mighty Ewoks

star-wars-mickey-6401.jpg

art-disney-princesses-leia-620x349.jpg

6144204c22f611e2b529123138106288_7.jpg