Do officials still check the 3/4 tank rule at causeway?

Zxcvb

Turbocharged

SINGAPORE: Singapore Customs said the number of people who violated the three-quarter-tank rule doubled last year.

It said the figure went up to about 4,000 compared to that the year before.

The rule, which has been in place since 1991, requires all motorists travelling north out of Singapore, to fill their petrol tanks to at least three-quarter full.

One driver said: "The (petrol) prices are pretty high right now. If I'm going to Malaysia, I will go with a three-quarter tank, and top up to a full tank before returning to Singapore.

"I think that's the norm -- a lot of people do that".

Another said: "Most of the time, I go in with three-quarter tank or more than three quarters, depending on the situation. I mean, since I'm going to Malaysia, I might as well top up there".

In Singapore, petrol costs about two dollars per litre, while in Malaysia, it's about RM1.90 or about 80 Singapore cents.

The price difference is why Singapore motorists are heading north to fill up their tanks.

Singapore Customs said the number of people violating the three-quarter-tank rule has been on the rise between 2008 and 2010.

Offenders face a maximum fine of S$500.

Some motorists go even further by tampering with their fuel meter.

Last year, 23 car owners were charged with that offence, down from 24 in 2009.

In 2008, there were only four such cases.

Offenders who tamper with their fuel meter face a S$5,000 fine or a year's jail. - CNA

↡ Advertisement

actually, i think the fuel meter tampering is very common among the petrol shopper in JB.

I know that there are many Singaporean vehicle go into Malaysia just to pump petrol... and make a turn back to SG. i have seen sub 1.6L ride like Vios, Altis, Lancer, picanto, sunny & etc... pumping more than 30L petrol after coming out from the custom, if these car fuel level is 3/4 tank, there is no way to pump so much petrol into the fuel tank (exceptional case some mdel, eg hyundai matrix) .....

If LTA increase the random to check on the fuel meter tampering, Im very sure the numbers is not gg to be 23 in 2010.

very obvious quite many cheated..thinking logically..how will it be worth to go in with a 42-50 litres tank for most cars and follow the 3/4 tank rule..the savings are very little..for myself only $5.50 +/- savings per trip after deducting toll charge..not even enough for a meal..hence i stop going already [;)]

very obvious quite many cheated..thinking logically..how will it be worth to go in with a 42-50 litres tank for most cars and follow the 3/4 tank rule..the savings are very little..for myself only $5.50 +/- savings per trip after deducting toll charge..not even enough for a meal..hence i stop going already [;)]

i can save approx $10.. but normally go in to eat supper + wash car..

if purely go in just to pump and U-turn.. i think not worth the time taken..

In Singapore, petrol costs about two dollars per litre, while in Malaysia, it's about RM1.90 or about 80 Singapore cents.

Wrong information. SG (foreign) registered car can only pump RON97 at RM2.50/L, which is around S$1.05/L.

This implies that the writer has not been JB before [laugh].

Regards,

I still go in quite often to pump, though only half tank. I didn't tamper the meter or sort, coz I have a friend who works at the custom and he said that they actually close one eye on slightly more than half tank! Did stopped a few times for them to check wit a slightly more than half tank and no problem faced.. :D

I still go in quite often to pump, though only half tank. I didn't tamper the meter or sort, coz I have a friend who works at the custom and he said that they actually close one eye on slightly more than half tank! Did stopped a few times for them to check wit a slightly more than half tank and no problem faced.. :D

This one I agreed. So far, I only been checked twice so far, touch wood. Between 1/2 and 3/4 mark, they will wave you on one. They where got the time to stop every car. Moreover, they just stare it from an angle not like they ask you to get out and they sit on your car to check.

Regards,

Anyway, I believe there are more high tech tempering that cant be caught just by visually inspecting the car right? Like maybe the remote control is from the mobile phone or something?

Anyway, I believe there are more high tech tempering that cant be caught just by visually inspecting the car right? Like maybe the remote control is from the mobile phone or something?

yea definitely. i just find that theyve got a weird habit of checking passports to verify that. imo they tend to pull over ppl who frequent JB. i mean it should be more logical to check ppl who frequent JB WEEKLY instead of every other day. doing it weekly can only mean u are going in on an empty tank whereas doing it every other day is hardcore law abider.

Twincharged

I know there are some very simple methods of tampering with the fuel gauge and even harder to detect also. But have to sacrifice having ur fuel gauge.

Wrong information. SG (foreign) registered car can only pump RON97 at RM2.50/L, which is around S$1.05/L.

This implies that the writer has not been JB before [laugh].

Regards,

Further correction, foreign registered vehicle can pump 95 if driver can produce Malaysian NRIC (i.e. MyKad).

They will catch even more of those flaunting the 3/4 tank rule if the officers at the immigration would stop playing with their mobile phones or talking to girls or MIA totally.

Further correction, foreign registered vehicle can pump 95 if driver can produce Malaysian NRIC (i.e. MyKad).

There is no black and white that say so. As usual, the law has loophole and it doesn't mean it has been approved officially. The law says specifically all foreign registered cars, didn't say who is the driver (whether foreigner or Malaysian). Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement