Scrapping 10 year old car.

Turbonetics

in your case, the stealer dealer will usually keep a few % of the parf rebate.

better DIY if wanna save a few hundred dollars. Call up a few scrapyards for quotes and drive there yourself on the last day. Not too difficult right? Certain cars hv good export value, so if yours belong to that catergory, call those car exporters.

Tks all who have contributed to my question......ya, my mindset on getting it done with a dealer has changed abit. Time for me look for scrap dealers contacts.

My car, Camry 2.0 (MIJ) - condition quite good, mileage below average....if anybody want to buy to continue, let me know ( but COE extention is exp now). Exporting to Msia is also not an option as the cars there are cheap.

Sad, such a reliable car will be off the road in 6mths time.

↡ Advertisement

Tks all who have contributed to my question......ya, my mindset on getting it done with a dealer has changed abit. Time for me look for scrap dealers contacts.

My car, Camry 2.0 (MIJ) - condition quite good, mileage below average....if anybody want to buy to continue, let me know ( but COE extention is exp now). Exporting to Msia is also not an option as the cars there are cheap.

Sad, such a reliable car will be off the road in 6mths time.

Didnt consider extending her life? Since it's a reliable car

Mine Accord (MIJ) i'm considering :D

Edited by Dfx16

Didnt consider extending her life? Since it's a reliable car

Mine Accord (MIJ) i'm considering :D

Not worth continuing...

Assuming prevailing COE is 90K, have to pay 45K for 5 years.

+ loose 18K in parf rebate

+ more rd tax every year

= > $11,000 loss per year. Grrr ..LTA want the car to get lost!!

Hmmm....thought parf 18k can be used to offset the 45k 5-years coe? So u actually need to pay only $27k....that's like $5.4k depreciation pa?

No? Me not correct?

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Hmmm....thought parf 18k can be used to offset the 45k 5-years coe? So u actually need to pay only $27k....that's like $5.4k depreciation pa?

No? Me not correct?

Safe ride

Cheers

looks deceptively seductive.....but actual cost is still 45+18.

me not correct? mcf please comment.

Yes. Actual still 45k +18k cos if you scrap, you get back 18k. Extend got to forego the 18k and add coe cost for 5 years. Bo hua..... Higer road tax also.

Ah ic. Mistaken that scrap value can be used to offset coe extension.

Thnx for e clarification.

Safe ride

Cheers

grrr...hope they dun give 'extra' rebate to encourage ppl to scrap car after my turn is over. ha

Yes. Actual still 45k +18k cos if you scrap, you get back 18k. Extend got to forego the 18k and add coe cost for 5 years. Bo hua..... Higer road tax also.

So it cheaper to renew the COE for 10 years, you can still sell or scrap the car after driving a few years.

The new Japanese cars CAT B is double the price.

Actually if the scrap value is low, it is cheaper to renew COE and scrap it when COE price is stable.

Anyway it is prorated for the Coe only lose the scrap value.

I agree with your point, if the parf value is low ie. <10k or so, it may be worth renewing COE and drive a few more years till COE prices stablise.

So it cheaper to renew the COE for 10 years, you can still sell or scrap the car after driving a few years.

Maybe must depends what car you are driving currently?! Some cars if renewed COE for 10 years and sell later, might not have any value or no takers?!

Edited by 13177

Maybe must depends what car you are driving currently?! Some cars if renewed COE for 10 years and sell later, might not have any value or no takers?!

dealers sure willing to take one lah...

Yea depends on the car part value like for example small Korea car parf value is 6 or 7k. So it may be cheaper to renew COE.

Edited by Princey_anne

u mean if extend coe 5yr cost 45k - the parf 18k = fok out another 27k for the 5yr coe renewel?

Edited by Texas5

Just a rough example:

a. Extend 2.0 car by 5 yrs: depreciation per year is >10K ..... because ( pay 45K coe + loose 18K parf)/5 years

b. 2nd market, abt 80K asking price, $9K dep p.a. may get a 1.6 jap car ( Mar 2010 reg ). Just have to fork out $17K more ( 45 + 18 + 17 = 80K )

Option B seems better......unless the COE crash to 20K level. Is my maths correct.

↡ Advertisement