Scrapping 10 year old car.

Turbonetics

There are shops with lots of flies...try nego a flat rate to dekit n arrange a tow or flatbed to the yard. Hassle is you'll need transport n storage space to slowly sell the parts online to recover costs. I've heard of someone managed to recoup 10k from the dreadful exercise.

Wonder what are the parts that can recoup 10K? Engine, Transmission......?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hey guys, I have a Lexus GS300 super luxury, due to scrap in 2 weeks times. Parf plus body selling around $30k+, COE PQP is $60k, total $90k+ for 10 years, yearly depreciation only $9k+. Super good deal! Lexus depreciation now minimum also $16-18k per year. Some more, my car condition is very very good, car is built like a tank, super reliable, no problems or whatsoever. Mileage is 150k+ km. I was seriously considering to renew COE, until I decided to get myself an upgrade (BMW 7 series). Anybody keen to takeover to renew COE please contact me at 86 06 83 66. Thanks!

• Praise 1

One of my cars ( Murano ) due for deregistering middle of next month. I'm still deliberating whether to scrap it or export as it's still in good working condition with <90k mileage.

Anyone here knows the est amt for the scrap body or if export, how much should I ask for? TIA

Hmm.. I haven't do any scrapping before but I am wondering if we as owners actually have the right to ask for the vehicle to be scrapped or export? Since exporting the car usually means we receive more money than scrap right?

I always have this mentality that once we "scrap" the vehicle, the scrap yard guys will then decide whether to really scrap the car or export base on their lobang.

• Praise 1

Hmm.. I haven't do any scrapping before but I am wondering if we as owners actually have the right to ask for the vehicle to be scrapped or export? Since exporting the car usually means we receive more money than scrap right?

I always have this mentality that once we "scrap" the vehicle, the scrap yard guys will then decide whether to really scrap the car or export base on their lobang.

Strange that u asked about having right to scrap or export. Ok, after my dealings with this issue for one of my cars. I became more informed.

Car is yours to scrap and u get back $100 max or less for the body & wait for LTA to return PARF to u.

But, if decided to renew it, u lose the min PARF (simple explanation - eaten, swallowed by LTA).

For cars with low PARF, it makes sense to renew COE if condition still good.

I think this policy is one way to ensure continuing business for car dealers of new cars, especially for high end cars with higher min PARF, IMO.

U can't insist on exporting your car......it has to be in good condition, low mileage, and in demand by importing countries. And, even if the car is slotted for export, it can also be scrapped by the exporter due to reasons like no demand, excess stocks of same model & storage constraint.

The above are my sharing of ongoing experience in regard to deregisterion of my car. Shall give updates once process is completed.

Strange that u asked about having right to scrap or export. Ok, after my dealings with this issue for one of my cars. I became more informed.

Car is yours to scrap and u get back $100 max or less for the body & wait for LTA to return PARF to u.

But, if decided to renew it, u lose the min PARF (simple explanation - eaten, swallowed by LTA).

For cars with low PARF, it makes sense to renew COE if condition still good.

I think this policy is one way to ensure continuing business for car dealers of new cars, especially for high end cars with higher min PARF, IMO.

U can't insist on exporting your car......it has to be in good condition, low mileage, and in demand by importing countries. And, even if the car is slotted for export, it can also be scrapped by the exporter due to reasons like no demand, excess stocks of same model & storage constraint.

The above are my sharing of ongoing experience in regard to deregisterion of my car. Shall give updates once process is completed.

Thanks for the info!

I asked because your initial post was saying that you are deliberating whether to scrap or export which makes me wonder if we have such options.

Thanks for the info!

I asked because your initial post was saying that you are deliberating whether to scrap or export which makes me wonder if we have such options.

Oic.....I posted it at a time when I was getting sentimental about that old car, but didn't realised that I would be losing my PARF if I renewed COE.

Hi guys,

I am scrapping my car for the first time in 2 weeks so I am really unsure.

It is a Honda Edix 1.7

OMV: $23k

COE ends mid Nov 2015

PARF: $12,668

Total rebate: $12,695

Will I get back the total rebate amount plus a small excess for body parts if I scrap directly with LTA?

A second hand dealer offered me 6k for my car when I enquired, is he trying to kaput my money :(

Thank you!

Edited by noobcardriver

Hi guys,

I am scrapping my car for the first time in 2 weeks so I am really unsure.

It is a Honda Edix 1.7

OMV: $23k

COE ends mid Nov 2015

PARF: $12,668

Total rebate: $12,695

Will I get back the total rebate amount plus a small excess for body parts if I scrap directly with LTA?

A second hand dealer offered me 6k for my car when I enquired, is he trying to kaput my money :(

Thank you!

Lol that dealer must think you're a fool.

If you drive it down to a scrapyard to deregister, you are assured 100% of getting back $12,668. That money is coming from LTA. What is uncertain is how much the scrapyard will offer you for the body, which could be $100+++++.

• Praise 1

Hi bro and sis,

If you are scrapping your Toyota Wish/Honda sream or toyota rush soon, please PM me. i am looking to renew COE. ..no $ to buy new car :.(

Thanks

• Praise 1

i just scrapped my Latio on 23 Sep.

1) Go get the LTA PIN from LTA on the spot at 10 Sin Ming Drive. If not, do it a week before and they post the PIN to you or:

Immediately dereg your car LTA on the spot at 10 Sin Ming Drive. 

2) Go to your scrapyard with your ride. Bring some mozzie repellent so that mozzies dont bite you while u wait LOL

3) Pass them the LTA PIN or dereg documents. They check everything and pay you $xxx for your ride.

4) Go back home and wait for confirmation and then login to one motoring to encash PARF

Hi sry bro i am confused, once u de-register your vehicle at LTA on the spot, it is still ok to drive to the scrap yard to scrap after you de-registered or need to tow your functional car there?

And also where do i cancel the HDB season parking?

Rebate of Road Tax, Insurance must be done before scraping?

newbie here! =X

Edited by Senny
  • Praise 1

Hi sry bro i am confused, once u de-register your vehicle at LTA on the spot, it is still ok to drive to the scrap yard to scrap after you de-registered or need to tow your functional car there?

And also where do i cancel the HDB season parking?

Rebate of Road Tax, Insurance must be done before scraping?

newbie here! =X

Seeing as I just cabbed home from the scrapyard, let me share what happened.

Most of it is as per what bro @metalslug2 said, but I didn't dereg before driving to the scrapyard. Had a little fun with the old girl before her send-off.

1. Get LTA PIN as how @metalslug2 said.

2. Go to http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/de-register/scrap_yard_operators.html

Find which scrapyard is nearer to you. This is the official LTA approved scrapyards. I didn't bother with the two at Benoi and Gul, as I stayed in the north. One of the scrapyard wanted to keep my NRIC til the next day and then return it to me, the other one just made a photocopy, so I went to the one who wasn't going to keep my NRIC. (The first said they didn't want to transfer the vehicle to themselves to dereg. Go figure).

Call them and ask how much they will pay for your car. (Accident car get lesser, I got $200 for a non accident 1.6M Lancer GLX).

3. Find a day nearest to your intended scrap date (make sure it's not Sunday / PH, unless you're going to the one that's open even on Sunday / PH).

4. Bring your LTA PIN (I didn't open mine, left it sealed), a filled up D01 form (I think the scrapyard should have too), and your NRIC. They will dereg your car for you (at least the one I went to did that for me), and gave me a cheque for my car body, called a cab for me, and here I am, typing this out for you. =P

WRT to your qn, I think it's not ok to drive the car after you dereg it online, that's why I only let the scrapyard handle it. They will give you a slip of paper saying when it was dereg, so your PARF is secured. Save the money on towing, let them dereg for you.

I think road tax, PARF, COE will be automatically calculated by LTA and refunded to you, my insurance was just nice, so no excess. HDB, I'm still finding out. Let me know when you got the info!

Seeing as I just cabbed home from the scrapyard, let me share what happened.

Most of it is as per what bro @metalslug2 said, but I didn't dereg before driving to the scrapyard. Had a little fun with the old girl before her send-off.

1. Get LTA PIN as how @metalslug2 said.

2. Go to http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/de-register/scrap_yard_operators.html

Find which scrapyard is nearer to you. This is the official LTA approved scrapyards. I didn't bother with the two at Benoi and Gul, as I stayed in the north. One of the scrapyard wanted to keep my NRIC til the next day and then return it to me, the other one just made a photocopy, so I went to the one who wasn't going to keep my NRIC. (The first said they didn't want to transfer the vehicle to themselves to dereg. Go figure).

Call them and ask how much they will pay for your car. (Accident car get lesser, I got $200 for a non accident 1.6M Lancer GLX).

3. Find a day nearest to your intended scrap date (make sure it's not Sunday / PH, unless you're going to the one that's open even on Sunday / PH).

4. Bring your LTA PIN (I didn't open mine, left it sealed), a filled up D01 form (I think the scrapyard should have too), and your NRIC. They will dereg your car for you (at least the one I went to did that for me), and gave me a cheque for my car body, called a cab for me, and here I am, typing this out for you. =P

WRT to your qn, I think it's not ok to drive the car after you dereg it online, that's why I only let the scrapyard handle it. They will give you a slip of paper saying when it was dereg, so your PARF is secured. Save the money on towing, let them dereg for you.

I think road tax, PARF, COE will be automatically calculated by LTA and refunded to you, my insurance was just nice, so no excess. HDB, I'm still finding out. Let me know when you got the info!

hdb can refund... I assume you mean parking

• Praise 1

Hi bro and sis,

If you are scrapping your Toyota Wish/Honda sream or toyota rush soon, please PM me. i am looking to renew COE. ..no $ to buy new car :.(

Thanks

Do you have a date or timeline for this? 

I have tentatively decided to scrap my wish mid Jan 16, when it reaches expiry date...

How come accident car get lesser? Thought the car will be eventually crash into scrap metal?

Don't know, I just overheard the scrapyard company side of the phone. They also said depends on how bad the accident was..

hdb can refund... I assume you mean parking

Thanks! I have another ride for now, so no need to cancel just yet. But in the interest of knowledge, where do I cancel it at?

• Praise 1

Don't know, I just overheard the scrapyard company side of the phone. They also said depends on how bad the accident was..

You mean the scrapyard people will check the car thoroughly if the car got accident before?

Edited by 13177

Thanks! I have another ride for now, so no need to cancel just yet. But in the interest of knowledge, where do I cancel it at?

Just go to http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/car-parks/season-parking/season-parking-ticket/termination-procedure

Type in your bank details if you are cancelling the season parking. 

There are other options in the drop down boxes that you can select based on your needs. 

↡ Advertisement