S-league (Singapore professional soccer league)

LoverofCar

Oh...sorry I mixed them up with another team :wacko:

Yeah Woodlands Wellington finished second behind Geylang International...correct?

Oh...back then there wasn't any Home United, and no SAF Warriors as well.

There was also a team called Sembawang Rangers? [:/]

Home united was known as ''Police'' when the league started.....SAFFC was along there...

↡ Advertisement

Home united was known as ''Police'' when the league started.....SAFFC was along there...

Got it!

So in summary, these were the teams of 1996.

Geylang United

Woodlands Wellington

Balestier Central

Singapore Armed Forces

Tiong Bahru United

Police

Sembawang Rangers

Tampines Rovers

OMG...Tampines Rovers were the cellar dwellers :ph34r:

Got it!

So in summary, these were the teams of 1996.

Geylang United

Woodlands Wellington

Balestier Central

Singapore Armed Forces

Tiong Bahru United

Police

Sembawang Rangers

Tampines Rovers

OMG...Tampines Rovers were the cellar dwellers :ph34r:

that's correct...Geylang was the king then...follow by SAFFC...Woodland was also the top team...

I miss the days when Woodlands Wellington were a good team. Their stadium just outside my house only. And every match night can hear the cheers from my home when they score a goal. [:p]

Now Woodlands every year bottom. Also no cheer liao. [:(]

I miss the days when Woodlands Wellington were a good team. Their stadium just outside my house only. And every match night can hear the cheers from my home when they score a goal. [:p]

Now Woodlands every year bottom. Also no cheer liao. [:(]

I think they will rise up. Maybe they should try something like what those US leagues do.

They do draft picks, so as to balance out every team strengths (and make it a watchable league).

I think they will rise up. Maybe they should try something like what those US leagues do.

They do draft picks, so as to balance out every team strengths (and make it a watchable league).

Problem is draft pick from where?

Singapore no matter what is some place always lacking resources...

so unless the govt really pumps in the money... or some local companies start backing some local teams, then maybe we can see Singapore football rise...

Problem is draft pick from where?

Singapore no matter what is some place always lacking resources...

so unless the govt really pumps in the money... or some local companies start backing some local teams, then maybe we can see Singapore football rise...

Draft pick between the teams?

E.g. they must have 3 top players who are in the draft pick, and the lucky teams will select based on draft lottery.

That's what they do for a lot of US sports.

My only worry is that FAS decided to convert some of the foreigners to citizenship, so as to entice them to play in the local league.

That really defeats the purpose.

As what you said, there needs to be investments in local teams.

It makes sense if the teams were sponsored by local companies (but who would do it?)

e.g. Tampines Rovers sponsored by Hyundai, Home United by Coca Cola, Albirex by Canon etc.

I only see SAF being sponsored by STAR Automotive Centre & United Engineers Limited (of which STAR is part of ST Kinetics) [:/]

to be fair to FAS, the complaint on the usuage of FT i believe even FAS themselves know already, i don't see any new FT being added into the team, i think the latest is Qiu Li which was several years ago liao.

i think 1 step back is allowing more than 3 foreigners per team, this will reduce the number of locals that are trying a make a living thru football.

to be fair to FAS, the complaint on the usuage of FT i believe even FAS themselves know already, i don't see any new FT being added into the team, i think the latest is Qiu Li which was several years ago liao.

i think 1 step back is allowing more than 3 foreigners per team, this will reduce the number of locals that are trying a make a living thru football.

honestly the locals trying to be a professional footballers are struggling badly..

mainly due to the fact that they can just lose their jobs anytime...

eg. like Gombak pulling out... at least 20 players(At least those average ones) will be without a club and a job...

so honestly... its really hard in Singapore...

thats right, add to that the uncertainty of injuries ending your careers etc.

i remember lionel lewis being voted MVP in the AFF edition in 2004, but in recent years he was struggling with injuries and was already considering ending his football career at the age of just 29!

thats right, add to that the uncertainty of injuries ending your careers etc.

i remember lionel lewis being voted MVP in the AFF edition in 2004, but in recent years he was struggling with injuries and was already considering ending his football career at the age of just 29!

At the age of 29, they would be more than glad to end their footballing careers.

The amount of money they make is really... I would love to make those kind of money too!

Yeah players suffer various injuries throughout their career. The only ones who get injured rarely are the goalkeepers, that's why their footballing career spans 40-42 years.

They (S-League) have tried for many years, but never got it right

At the age of 29, they would be more than glad to end their footballing careers.

The amount of money they make is really... I would love to make those kind of money too!

Yeah players suffer various injuries throughout their career. The only ones who get injured rarely are the goalkeepers, that's why their footballing career spans 40-42 years.

They (S-League) have tried for many years, but never got it right

Local players earn slightly above average pay, but they not exactly paid well either. At least not compared to those in financial sector.

Local players earn slightly above average pay, but they not exactly paid well either. At least not compared to those in financial sector.

Of course not...I think they have bonus of 6 months (at least)? :wacko:

Shucks...that's peanuts to the heads

Turbocharged

wow....no such things as an easy job

http://www.todayonline.com/Sports/EDC13010...-flying-colours

Passing with flying colours

Footballers get near-perfect score at S-League's first 2.4km fitness test

by Deborah Ong

04:45 AM Jan 09, 2013

SINGAPORE - S-League officials had plenty of reason to smile yesterday morning after conducting the domestic league's first 2.4km running test, which has replaced the controversial Beep Test as a means of certifying players as fit to play in this season's competition.

Out of the more than 70 footballers from SAFFC, Tanjong Pagar United, Balestier Khalsa and Hougang United who turned up at the Bishan Stadium for the run, only one failed, with the rest clearing the 10min 15sec passing mark.

The S-League declined to name the player who did not complete the six rounds on the track.

The 2.4km running test is one of several changes the S-League has made for this season's tournament.

The mandatory Beep Test - a multi-stage 20m shuttle run test that required S-League players to reach Level 13.1 in order to pass - had been criticised by many in the football fraternity in the past. They see it as an inaccurate reflection of football-specific fitness - this, despite its widespread use in sports such as football, basketball, handball, netball, tennis and the different rugby codes.

After promising last year to review the Beep Test, S-League officials consulted with sports scientists from the Singapore Sports Council (SSC) and eventually decided on the 2.4km run as an alternative.

Following trials at two clubs, they settled on 10min 15sec as the passing mark. But they have also decided to add carrots to the test.

Players who run below 9min will get a S$100 reward, while those who clock below 8min 30sec will get S$200. Players who fail can retake the test as often as they want.