All things W124 :-)

W124

Reckon stretching to 60k is a bit of a gamble,I Wun take.

many wshop do speedy oil change,places like AutoBaccs close quite late & for various Budget level.

Its NOT can feel or cannot feel ,MB a premium Brand,veri comfortable,the feel is onli minor.

its juzz dun make sense to me.

8v 16v definitely the new ones better,it realli boils down to Budget realli.

I owns a E250(212)which have more than 200 horses under my bonnet!

When I go for a test drive ,I will able to feel a huge difference in power but surprising NO.

The biggest issue with ppl who first drive the early 124 is the stiff accelerator pedal & more than usual free play.

I'm changing the accelerator cable & adjusting the free play as we speak,so watch dis space?

Yup,the 8v feels alrite ,with 100 horses & a little bit.

when I pick up the car from the dealer,tot I will b horn by other road users but surprise surprise I can keep up with traffic & perhaps a bit more.

Its not for everyone ,definitely not for a first time user & I dun recommend dat for the Budget conscious either.

More for a leg into the world of classic & especially for the love of mercedes Benz.

U gotta set aside 4-5k on TOP of what u paying to sort it out ,dun wait for it to happen,its a 30yrs car man for crying out loud.

Its a piece of sophisticated machinery,the last of the overengineer car.

Its especially dis era where The best or nothing war cry sounds louder than ever.

As my dad used to say dey dun make car like dis anymore.

LOL after so many years this topic is revived again. After driving a number of different cars since I last posted here, I can say the W124 is garbage. It has absolutely no power. The handling of the W124 is crap. You are very prone to spinning the car unless you put good tires on. The design of the car rubbish. It looks like some turd from the 90s. If i had the chance to go back in time, I would get the E34 BMW 520i instead. The BMW inline 6 is much smoother than the crappy inline for inside the W124. The E34 handles and looks better than that old piece of crap I used to drive. Then again I'm very critical of the cars which I used to drive because I always upgrade to something better. So take what I say with a pinch of salt. I've got an E89 BMW. Who knows, maybe I'll be critical of it once I get another car. After driving so many BMWs and Mercs (these don't include my own cars), my heart will remain with BMW. 

To be fair, the W124 is cheap to maintain and fix. But that's about it. Not a car I would want to drive.

↡ Advertisement

LOL after so many years this topic is revived again. After driving a number of different cars since I last posted here, I can say the W124 is garbage. It has absolutely no power. The handling of the W124 is crap. You are very prone to spinning the car unless you put good tires on. The design of the car rubbish. It looks like some turd from the 90s. If i had the chance to go back in time, I would get the E34 BMW 520i instead. The BMW inline 6 is much smoother than the crappy inline for inside the W124. The E34 handles and looks better than that old piece of crap I used to drive. Then again I'm very critical of the cars which I used to drive because I always upgrade to something better. So take what I say with a pinch of salt. I've got an E89 BMW. Who knows, maybe I'll be critical of it once I get another car. After driving so many BMWs and Mercs (these don't include my own cars), my heart will remain with BMW.

To be fair, the W124 is cheap to maintain and fix. But that's about it. Not a car I would want to drive.

Like buying property,its all abt location location loc

Likewise buying a car,u gotta research research re...........

If u ever contemplate German marque,it's realli onli Stuttgart or Munich.

Lately dis two giants have been a bit confused crossing over to each other territory but as far as I noe,one have always about drive the other driven.

If u are not aware no much ranting here gonna help u.

The thread starts again cos *lately theres's a resurgence on the 124 ,either with ppl scraping it or renewing the Coe.

*i bought one!

There's still life in the old girl yet,I should says but Guess ppl are still sore cos dey jump in without doing their homework.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Like buying property,its all abt location location loc

Likewise buying a car,u gotta research research re...........

If u ever contemplate German marque,it's realli onli Stuttgart or Munich.

Lately dis two giants have been a bit confused crossing over to each other territory but as far as I noe,one have always about drive the other driven.

If u are not aware no much ranting here gonna help u.

The thread starts again cos *lately theres's a resurgence on the 124 ,either with ppl scraping it or renewing the Coe.

*i bought one!

There's still life in the old girl yet,I should says but Guess ppl are still sore cos dey jump in without doing their homework.

Im glad you like your W124. But I'm glad I got rid of mine in 2013 when its COE was up. It's time for me to try other things. Now COE is cheap might as well get a newer car. The W124 only has value in that it was one of mercedes' most over engineered car. But there really isn't anything special. I would still take a new merc over the old w124. The only reason why I would get a w124 now is because i am broke and need a budget and reliable car to get around. Parts are cheap and easy to find. But the car looks ugly as f**k. I'm in my 20s. I don't want to drive something that makes me look like I'm in my 40s to 50s. As long as I have cash to buy a newer and better car, I will choose that option. I'm not ranting. I'm just saying there are better cars out there and that one shouldn't waste time with an old car unless one really loves the car to death.

Besides most of the W124s have gone thru so many hands, you sure you still want it? Most of those high owner cars are usually cars which are bought by broke people who couldn't afford to keep the car and tossed it to the next person to deal with the problems the car had. I personally don't like cars with too many previous owners. It's like a girl who was a slut and screwed a ton of guys. You still want such a girl? My 93 W124 only had 2 owners before me so I'm pretty happy with that buy. Most of the W124s in the market have more than 5 owners. I will only buy a car with at most 2 previous owners before me. A lot of W124s also have super high mileage by now. You sure you want to be the one rebuilding the engine if anything happens. 

• Praise 1

Im glad you like your W124. But I'm glad I got rid of mine in 2013 when its COE was up. It's time for me to try other things. Now COE is cheap might as well get a newer car. The W124 only has value in that it was one of mercedes' most over engineered car. But there really isn't anything special. I would still take a new merc over the old w124. The only reason why I would get a w124 now is because i am broke and need a budget and reliable car to get around. Parts are cheap and easy to find. But the car looks ugly as f**k. I'm in my 20s. I don't want to drive something that makes me look like I'm in my 40s to 50s. As long as I have cash to buy a newer and better car, I will choose that option. I'm not ranting. I'm just saying there are better cars out there and that one shouldn't waste time with an old car unless one really loves the car to death.

Besides most of the W124s have gone thru so many hands, you sure you still want it? Most of those high owner cars are usually cars which are bought by broke people who couldn't afford to keep the car and tossed it to the next person to deal with the problems the car had. I personally don't like cars with too many previous owners. It's like a girl who was a slut and screwed a ton of guys. You still want such a girl? My 93 W124 only had 2 owners before me so I'm pretty happy with that buy. Most of the W124s in the market have more than 5 owners. I will only buy a car with at most 2 previous owners before me. A lot of W124s also have super high mileage by now. You sure you want to be the one rebuilding the engine if anything happens.

Obviously ,the 124 is not for u.

Still see the bitterness in purchasing one.

As I says previously ,it's not for anyone & everyone ,definitely not for someone who looks for a cheap ride,lowest depreciation ,blah blah blah.

Its for somebody who's into the heritage of the 3 pointed star,somebody who wans to live his childhood dream.Das beste oder nichts(the best or nothing)

I was always fascinated by the mb,I was a vehicle Mechanic in ns & was task to meddle with the 3 toner.i was amazed @ the construction & the built quality of the in line 6 Diesel engine & I always tell myself,one day,one of dis day?

On my big day(wedding)I was given a rented 124 & it juzz looks so poised & sophisticated on the day,itself.

I make a vow ,one day,one day I will fulfill my dream.

Well,I'm Glad to say ,I' ve done it,

Dis is my 3rd mercedes & two of them is park next to each other @ the mscp.

Live the dream,my Friend,as the Gallagher Brother will tell u,'dun look back in anger'

As I says previously ,it's not for anyone & everyone ,definitely not for someone who looks for a cheap ride,lowest depreciation ,blah blah blah.

Its for somebody who's into the heritage of the 3 pointed star,somebody who wans to live his childhood dream.Das beste oder nichts(the best or nothing)

I was always fascinated by the mb,I was a vehicle Mechanic in ns & was task to meddle with the 3 toner.i was amazed @ the construction & the built quality of the in line 6 Diesel engine & I always tell myself,one day,one of dis day?

On my big day(wedding)I was given a rented 124 & it juzz looks so poised & sophisticated on the day,itself.

Live the dream,my Friend,as the Gallagher Brother will tell u,'dun look back in anger'

• Praise 5

You serviced the old Mercedes Benz 811 3 tonner in NS?

It isn't for me. It was a car which was meant for me to make mistakes in since I got it after I got my license.

And I'm sure most people keep the car because it is cheap and easy to maintain. Unless you really love the W124, I see no point in keeping it. The new Mercs are a better and nicer drive. There is more luxury that comes with newer mercs. But if people want to get the W124, at least get the 16V engine. The 8V engine feels like shit to drive. I'm all about performance numbers. If the car can't meet my expectations, it's trash to me. 

• Dislike 1

You serviced the old Mercedes Benz 811 3 tonner in NS?

Yup

Not realli services them,did some huge job(me reckon).

Loves to adjust the tappets of those in line 6 diesel.

If I remember correctly or might not b ....135624,the TDC firing sequence.

Another issue is the brake binding,u hit the anchor & the beast will lock & move to one side.

But realli hates to change the battery of those Monster truck,the battery is heavy & resides below the co driver seat(I think)when u are task to do dat,guarantee yr whole overall will b drenched!

Memory a fading Liao.

Think I return all those skills to my Encik alrady.

Now I can only talk the talk no more walk the walk.

But realli admire the solid construction & the intricate of the mb power plant.

I dun have a license then but I noe I gotta buy a merk,one day.

Their understated beauty, outspoken elegance, evident stateliness and solidity, pursuit of perfection and the accompanying underlying power all spoke to me .

It isn't for me. It was a car which was meant for me to make mistakes in since I got it after I got my license.

And I'm sure most people keep the car because it is cheap and easy to maintain. Unless you really love the W124, I see no point in keeping it. The new Mercs are a better and nicer drive. There is more luxury that comes with newer mercs. But if people want to get the W124, at least get the 16V engine. The 8V engine feels like shit to drive. I'm all about performance numbers. If the car can't meet my expectations, it's trash to me.

Always reckon it's the singer not the song.

I got the 8v one,absolutely no problem,whatsever.

My, the other merk have more than 200 horses in the bonnet & the 124 got probably half.

Still no issue.

When I pick up the car from the dealer,tot I will b horn at or I will b flash constantly.

But no & it's a 29yrs old car for crying out loud.

Well Well ,surprising it can keep up with traffic .

The only problem I hate is the heavy throttle,u gotta realli step on the accelerator pedal.

Heard during dat era,its the real men toys.

Always reckon it's the singer not the song.

I got the 8v one,absolutely no problem,whatsever.

My, the other merk have more than 200 horses in the bonnet & the 124 got probably half.

Still no issue.

When I pick up the car from the dealer,tot I will b horn at or I will b flash constantly.

But no & it's a 29yrs old car for crying out loud.

Well Well ,surprising it can keep up with traffic .

The only problem I hate is the heavy throttle,u gotta realli step on the accelerator pedal.

Heard during dat era,its the real men toys.

The W212 is a far better car than the W124. New is usually better. The exception to this was the w210 and the w211. The W210 had the worst crash tests until the re-engineered the car and had facelift versions in the early 2000s. The W211 is a joke. The interior is so much smaller than the w124. It makes you wonder what mercedes was thinking. The w212 was much better built compared to the previous generations.

The 8V engine has less power than the 16V. I've driven both before thats why I feel the 16V engine is far superior. It's smoother and more powerful. Go try thr 16V and you will feel like the 8V engine is crap. Yeah its a 29 year old car which makes me wonder who in the right mind would want such a car?  Unless you're someone who just got his license and needs a beater car, yeah get a w124. Otherwise it's always better to upgrade and get better things. Old isn't always gold. I'm glad I sold my W124 when I had the chance. It was a rotting pile of garbage. I think I still have the break down triangle from the W124, anyone here wants it? It's free. Take it off my hands.

• Dislike 1

To the person who keeps disliking my posts, I just don't give a f**k. Freedom of speech! But I can understand why, you feel super butt hurt every time I criticise your car and call it a pile of garbage. Now that the COE is cheap, get yourself a new car. Don't waste time on the W124. It's an underpowered piece of German garbage. Think of it, the car is so old that it's literally impossible to do a simple sound system upgrade. You have puny speakers in the front and back. Aftermarket speakers that small aren't gonna give you any significant improvements in sound.  I used to think the W124 was the best thing in the world when I had the car. But I was stupid as I had yet to drive better cars. 

Given the W124s age and number of owners, I would avoid the car like plague. Think of it as a divorcee with children. All worn out and old. Skip!

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

I do owned a 93 16 valve W124 before about 10 years back. Doing it up need patience and $$. Importantly a good workshop who know basic car.

Of cos back in the 80s and 90s the W124 is considered very well built. I love the W124 for comfort and cruising on highway.

Agreed that a good unit is very very hard to come by now. Unless you really love this car and have all time n money to get it right if not skip as most about 30 years of age.

For now I don’t wish all the trouble so i just see those beautiful picture of W124 and the station wagon variant S124 on Instagrams.

• Praise 2

To the person who keeps disliking my posts, I just don't give a f**k. Freedom of speech! But I can understand why, you feel super butt hurt every time I criticise your car and call it a pile of garbage. Now that the COE is cheap, get yourself a new car. Don't waste time on the W124. It's an underpowered piece of German garbage. Think of it, the car is so old that it's literally impossible to do a simple sound system upgrade. You have puny speakers in the front and back. Aftermarket speakers that small aren't gonna give you any significant improvements in sound. I used to think the W124 was the best thing in the world when I had the car. But I was stupid as I had yet to drive better cars.

Given the W124s age and number of owners, I would avoid the car like plague. Think of it as a divorcee with children. All worn out and old. Skip!

As the saying goes dun let the system(Coe)control u.

U control the system,haha.

I buy new bcos of something I like not bcos of dat piece of certificate is cheap.

If u do dat,I can assure u will use that car for a Long Long time.

Exactly dat,the first owner of my 124 use it for 29yrs!

Beat it?

We have been there before buying NEW & lose a bundle in depreciation!

In S'pore context,if u dun need to entertain clients from overseas,in a regular basis,u dun realli need to buy new.

And if u do have customers from Taiwan or hk,a 124 will b a perfect fit,it show CLASS.

Dis Two countries have a vibrant classic scene,dey noes their stuff.

As the saying goes dun let the system(Coe)control u.

U control the system,haha.

I buy new bcos of something I like not bcos of dat piece of certificate is cheap.

If u do dat,I can assure u will use that car for a Long Long time.

Exactly dat,the first owner of my 124 use it for 29yrs!

Beat it?

We have been there before buying NEW & lose a bundle in depreciation!

In S'pore context,if u dun need to entertain clients from overseas,in a regular basis,u dun realli need to buy new.

And if u do have customers from Taiwan or hk,a 124 will b a perfect fit,it show CLASS.

Dis Two countries have a vibrant classic scene,dey noes their stuff.

The thing about me is this, if i see something newer and something that excites me, I'll buy. I don't like long term commitments. I'm in my 20s so the W124 doesn't seem very age appropriate for me. Driving the w124 when you're in your 20s is like dating a 40 year old woman who is all wrinkled and worn out. Given that you're way older than me, the W124 is probably age appropriate for you. 

Yeah I love to show off. That's why I have a convertible even though I rarely open the top. If I do, it's just so I can impress those girls I'm bringing back to my place. 

The thing about me is this, if i see something newer and something that excites me, I'll buy. I don't like long term commitments. I'm in my 20s so the W124 doesn't seem very age appropriate for me. Driving the w124 when you're in your 20s is like dating a 40 year old woman who is all wrinkled and worn out. Given that you're way older than me, the W124 is probably age appropriate for you.

Yeah I love to show off. That's why I have a convertible even though I rarely open the top. If I do, it's just so I can impress those girls I'm bringing back to my place.

Juzz normal human traits,newer,faster,prettier,more powerful,blah blah blah.

By going thru dis route u are not gonna last or was it yr wallet not going to last.

U gotta decide for yrself what u need or what u wans?

For a 20 something to buy a 124,Two thing strike my mind,d fella probably juzz got his license ,he wans some wheels with a status.

Nothing wrong with dat,as with many things in life, u LEARN as we go along.

Ppl make mistake(s)u probably with the 124,did u read my earlier post abt research research?

So continue ranting, not gonna do u good,learn from it ,move on, remember thing(s)happen for a reason!

Like various product in dis world ,the 200E is not meant for everybody,its for the rich then , more for the enthusiast now & definitely for those who's not afraid to get his fingernail dirty.im look @ u, ody 2004

Me?

I'm juzz Glad dat I have Gone thru a time tunnel to buy my wedding car!

Perhaps later,can hook up with a studio&get some instagram fotos for old time sake(how sweet)

Convertible?

Yup,I have dat too.

Ya,rarely gone topless too.

But I noe dat if I wan,I CAN.

• Praise 2

The W124 doesn't give any status to a guy in his 20s. It is just makes him look broke. Yeah this car was my first car after I got my license. Yeah it was reliable but it was not fun to drive. It certainly didn't turn heads. It was a car for me to screw up in before I got my hands on more expensive cars. I learnt a lot from driving the W124. I learnt how to fix things, take things apart. But if you ask me if I want to own or drive it again, the answer is hell no.

The W124 doesn't give any status to a guy in his 20s. It is just makes him look broke. Yeah this car was my first car after I got my license. Yeah it was reliable but it was not fun to drive. It certainly didn't turn heads. It was a car for me to screw up in before I got my hands on more expensive cars. I learnt a lot from driving the W124. I learnt how to fix things, take things apart. But if you ask me if I want to own or drive it again, the answer is hell no.

The 3 pointed star is a status symbol even until NOW.

Especially for impressionable teenagers , specially for ppl who juzz passed!

As I say ,it's not for everyone ,back then(nobody can afford)& now(ppl worries abt maintenance)

To me its a classic from years gone by.

Like it or not,it got its place in the history book.

And nobody can change dat,haha.

The 3 pointed star is a status symbol even until NOW.

Especially for impressionable teenagers , specially for ppl who juzz passed!

As I say ,it's not for everyone ,back then(nobody can afford)& now(ppl worries abt maintenance)

To me its a classic from years gone by.

Like it or not,it got its place in the history book.

And nobody can change dat,haha.

If Im driving a rare Merc, yes I will consider it a status symbol. The W124 is far from rare and is a dime a dozen. Actually there are a lot on sale, but at crazy prices. It does have a place in the history book as being one of mercedes most over engineered car. But how many people actually know this? Most don't care. Even if you tell me yours is the special masterpiece edition in 1995, no one really cares. Hardly anyone knows about this special edition. You may find some value in the W124 because you can appreciate it. I used to be able to appreciate the things that came with the W124, but now it seems meh. Maintenance is super cheap with the W124, parts are easily available from tye soon and they're super cheap as well.