All things W124 :-)

W124

If Im driving a rare Merc, yes I will consider it a status symbol. The W124 is far from rare and is a dime a dozen. Actually there are a lot on sale, but at crazy prices. It does have a place in the history book as being one of mercedes most over engineered car. But how many people actually know this? Most don't care. Even if you tell me yours is the special masterpiece edition in 1995, no one really cares. Hardly anyone knows about this special edition. You may find some value in the W124 because you can appreciate it. I used to be able to appreciate the things that came with the W124, but now it seems meh. Maintenance is super cheap with the W124, parts are easily available from tye soon and they're super cheap as well.

Any mercs is a status symbol.

Dun agree?

Look how comfortable a mb driver is able to merge into another lane or filter out from a minor road.

It's the respect given by most motorist.

They actually not many 124 around even in its heyday.if there is,most are hidden in landed property & what have u.

Now it's getting rarer,u see more in sg carmart than on the road.likewise,u see it poping up in propel than anywhere else!

Masterpiece?

Dun even go there.

every other 200E / E200 on the road is a M.P

Owners are so passionate dey are willing to cough out lots juzz to convert to a face lift model.

My eighty nine 8v, not v8 mind u have so many changes,bonnet,headlight,grille & of coarse the M.P badge,realli

can't tell what is what now.

Most are glad to pay to look like a M.P

Its passion personified !

Compare to now,ppl juzz attached an amg here & an amg there,dats abt it.

Some realli takes takes the cake by removing the 7gtronic,dat I'm afraid it's only for the w205 owner,shame on u.

↡ Advertisement

The W212 is a far better car than the W124. New is usually better. The exception to this was the w210 and the w211. The W210 had the worst crash tests until the re-engineered the car and had facelift versions in the early 2000s. The W211 is a joke. The interior is so much smaller than the w124. It makes you wonder what mercedes was thinking. The w212 was much better built compared to the previous generations.

The 8V engine has less power than the 16V. I've driven both before thats why I feel the 16V engine is far superior. It's smoother and more powerful. Go try thr 16V and you will feel like the 8V engine is crap. Yeah its a 29 year old car which makes me wonder who in the right mind would want such a car? Unless you're someone who just got his license and needs a beater car, yeah get a w124. Otherwise it's always better to upgrade and get better things. Old isn't always gold. I'm glad I sold my W124 when I had the chance. It was a rotting pile of garbage. I think I still have the break down triangle from the W124, anyone here wants it? It's free. Take it off my hands.

Yup the 212 makes 200 horses & more.

Power corrupt & @ 200 plus, absolute corrupt.

The marketing ppl will welcome u with open arms when u says New is usually better.

Dis is of coarse a natural progression but is it realli better.

Philosophy change , concept change dats the reason y the 124 is

the last of the Mohicans.

Last of the over engineer car,as we speak.

To the person who keeps disliking my posts, I just don't give a f**k. Freedom of speech! But I can understand why, you feel super butt hurt every time I criticise your car and call it a pile of garbage. Now that the COE is cheap, get yourself a new car. Don't waste time on the W124. It's an underpowered piece of German garbage. Think of it, the car is so old that it's literally impossible to do a simple sound system upgrade. You have puny speakers in the front and back. Aftermarket speakers that small aren't gonna give you any significant improvements in sound. I used to think the W124 was the best thing in the world when I had the car. But I was stupid as I had yet to drive better cars.

Given the W124s age and number of owners, I would avoid the car like plague. Think of it as a divorcee with children. All worn out and old. Skip!

Totally agree. If one wants to keep an old car, then it should be something more rare and collectible. The effort put into keeping an old car is not too much different. They all break and need time and energy to put right.

No doubt a more collectible like a Porsche is more expensive to upkeep but at least you get some returns if one should one day sell. Dumping money into a bread and butter like a w124 and expecting it to be much loved isn’t that worth. I’m glad I had the foresight not to dump more money into the w123. A rust bucket it was.

Dun agree?

Look how comfortable a mb driver is able to merge into another lane or filter out from a minor road.

They actually not many 124 around even in its heyday.if there is,most are hidden in landed property & what have u.

Now it's getting rarer,u see more in sg carmart than on the road.likewise,u see it poping up in propel than anywhere else!

Masterpiece?

Dun even go there.

Owners are so passionate dey are willing to cough out lots juzz to convert to a face lift model.

My eighty nine 8v, not v8 mind u have so many changes,bonnet,headlight,grille & of coarse the M.P badge,realli

Some realli takes takes the cake by removing the 7gtronic,dat I'm afraid it's only for the w205 owner,shame on u.

Nope. Respect on the road is given if you're gracious, not because you own a Benz.

Its good that more W124s are getting scrapped. I'm loving it. 

If your W124 is not a real masterpiece but has masterpiece badge, it is still not a masterpiece. 

What kinda weed are you smoking dude?

There are certain features that are only available on Masterpiece editions. You cannot replicate it on a normal w124.

Shame on me? I don't know what I have to be ashamed off. I no longer drive the piece of crap you have.

• Praise 1

Nope. Respect on the road is given if you're gracious, not because you own a Benz.

Its good that more W124s are getting scrapped. I'm loving it.

If your W124 is not a real masterpiece but has masterpiece badge, it is still not a masterpiece.

What kinda weed are you smoking dude?

There are certain features that are only available on Masterpiece editions. You cannot replicate it on a normal w124.

Shame on me? I don't know what I have to be ashamed off. I no longer drive the piece of crap you have.

Dun tell me u are one of those 205 owner?

Ceratain cars have the presence,the merk is one of them.

I notice immediately ,when I got my first mercs.

Of coarse respect have to b mutual.

Anwae ,reckon I m always gracious on the road.

As I mention,first owner have done quite a considerable job of updating its pre face lift

model,it almost like a masterpiece for the Uninitiated.

• Praise 1

Totally agree. If one wants to keep an old car, then it should be something more rare and collectible. The effort put into keeping an old car is not too much different. They all break and need time and energy to put right.

No doubt a more collectible like a Porsche is more expensive to upkeep but at least you get some returns if one should one day sell. Dumping money into a bread and butter like a w124 and expecting it to be much loved isnât that worth. Iâm glad I had the foresight not to dump more money into the w123. A rust bucket it was.

The choice of car is veri subjective.

One man dream is another one poison.

Rare & collectible needs bigger outlay.

The 123 & 124 are classic,u wun go far wrong if u choose those.

I have my reason to choose the 124,scroll thru my post,u probably can get it.

The 200E is posh enuff to start as a classic & realli it's not abt return, resell value or worth.

Its all abt LOVE.

As the saying goes,one day..................u will understand.

The choice of car is veri subjective.

One man dream is another one poison.

Rare & collectible needs bigger outlay.

The 123 & 124 are classic,u wun go far wrong if u choose those.

I have my reason to choose the 124,scroll thru my post,u probably can get it.

The 200E is posh enuff to start as a classic & realli it's not abt return, resell value or worth.

Its all abt LOVE.

As the saying goes,one day..................u will understand.

well. been there and done that... did not understand. probably never will. no loss to me.

its your money. spend it how you wish, but don't impose it on others.

anyway on a side note, its tough reading your post with all the short forms and abbreviations.

Edited by Mkl22

i am so privileged to have owned a 2L W124. Its no speed demon obviously but the ride comfort and the seats are so memorable for me.

Cars in S'pore juzz dun makes sense.

In life ,in Football ,u win some,u lose some,the rest is draw

Cars,u loose all the way!

Its a big ticket item somemore so homework gotta do.

Earlier I buy new but no more,yes I lose MORE!

But one thing I nvr do ,is to slag my car or my ex car.

U cannot drop the cash & found out its a pile of shit.

It juzz reflects badly on yrself or how u realli value yr own money.

Remember my previous post abt research research research.

Once u sign on the doted line & find its not to yr liking.

Even for a day,u loose a chunk.

So all I can say is stop ranting &more homework.

As dey all said?

Fail to prepare,prepare to FAILED.

Dun tell me u are one of those 205 owner?

Ceratain cars have the presence,the merk is one of them.

I notice immediately ,when I got my first mercs.

Of coarse respect have to b mutual.

Anwae ,reckon I m always gracious on the road.

As I mention,first owner have done quite a considerable job of updating its pre face lift

model,it almost like a masterpiece for the Uninitiated.

Dude have you not been paying attention? I do not own a Merc any more. I traded up for a BMW Convertible.

The only W124 I will consider a classic is the coupe version of the car. Now that is rare and a collectors item.

The regular W124 is a dime a dozen. Im pretty sure if I low ball some of the sellers on sgcarmart, they will sell.

Btw, what's wrong with W205 owners? They've got the cash to get a new car and you're not happy?

Edited by Fastfive1

Dude have you not been paying attention? I do not own a Merc any more. I traded up for a BMW Convertible.

The only W124 I will consider a classic is the coupe version of the car. Now that is rare and a collectors item.

The regular W124 is a dime a dozen. Im pretty sure if I low ball some of the sellers on sgcarmart, they will sell.

Btw, what's wrong with W205 owners? They've got the cash to get a new car and you're not happy?

If u dun own a merk no more ,good on ya.

Hope u dun slag yr current ride when its time to trade up or was it trade down.

well. been there and done that... did not understand. probably never will. no loss to me.

its your money. spend it how you wish, but don't impose it on others.

anyway on a side note, its tough reading your post with all the short forms and abbreviations.

I dun impose it on anyone.

As I mention it's all subjective.

I love coffee, I love tea

I love the java jive and it loves me

Coffee and tea and the jiving and me

Haha

• Dislike 1

Still deciding if I should get a 9.5 year old Nissan Teana or a 27 year old W124 for 10 year COE renewal.

Depends on Condition,9.5 Years Car,you must pay the Owner the Paper Value,while the 27 Years W124 only "Body" cost,about $1,000.

Depends on Condition,9.5 Years Car,you must pay the Owner the Paper Value,while the 27 Years W124 only "Body" cost,about $1,000.

My worry is that the condition of a 27 year old car is generally worse than a 9.5 year old car. More repairs might be needed for W124 down the road for 10 years COE renewal. Not too sure if there are still parts available and spares obtained from scrapyards might be too old to fit or work properly in the car. Edited by Albeniz

My worry is that the condition of a 27 year old car is generally worse than a 9.5 year old car. More repairs might be needed for W124 down the road for 10 years COE renewal. Not too sure if there are still parts available and spares obtained from scrapyards might be too old to fit or work properly in the car.

If the W124 Body sell to you is very cheap like $1,000....just take it pay COE,if not happy with it just scrap it,LTA will refund you the left over COE,the most you lose only $1,000,if you get the Teana,you pay COE,anything major,you will lost the "Paper" Value...

• Praise 2

I am hoping somebody would sell me a good condition W124 at $1000, so that I could renew COE and drive for another 10 years.

If you have one for me, do let me know. Thks.

• Praise 1

Dun agree?

Masterpiece?

Dun even go there.

How could one tell if the W124 belongs to the masterpiece version?

What are the key differences from the normal w124?

↡ Advertisement