VW Sharan 'drinks coolant.?

ER-3682

Hi Friends,my Brother in law's 1 year old Sharan 'drinks' 1.2L of coolant from new,now mileage is 12k Km,today went for 1 st service,Service Advisor told him it is normal for Turbo-charged cars to 'drink' a little coolant,which i don't think so,can any others VW car owners tell me is it true.??Esp those using the EA888 engine[GTI,GOLF R,Audi A5 or Skoda etc],thanks folks.

↡ Advertisement

1.2L consider little?? To me it is a lot. I think the mech try to smoke you. Obviously something is very wrong. Send back VW to double check.

I know alot,i bought so many new cars,none 'drinks' coolant,that's why i said VW service centre not honest,that's why i want some VW owners their opinion.

I just like to voice out something....

Another stupid Sg falling for the VWs gimmick, end up buying an expensive lemon car with tons of problems that yet to come and coming to the forum and complain despite warnings, threads on the un-reliability of Volks....

Love it when these stupid idiots think they are smart.....

Do not bother getting another Volks user comments....he/she will just recommend you to sell it off and get a Jap or Korean car....

• Praise 1

Another stupid Sg falling for the VWs gimmick, end up buying an expensive lemon car with tons of problems that yet to come and coming to the forum and complain despite warnings, threads on the un-reliability of Volks....

Do not bother getting another Volks user comments....he/she will just recommend you to sell it off and get a Jap or Korean car....

Already told my Brother in law before he bought the car,but he like the car performance & comfort.

Hi Friends,my Brother in law's 1 year old Sharan 'drinks' 1.2L of coolant from new,now mileage is 12k Km,today went for 1 st service,Service Advisor told him it is normal for Turbo-charged cars to 'drink' a little coolant,which i don't think so,can any others VW car owners tell me is it true.??Esp those using the EA888 engine[GTI,GOLF R,Audi A5 or Skoda etc],thanks folks.

Now get lemon law, so simple, just ask them to repair for free or put in writing if they consider is normal, and then sue based on lemon law.

Now get lemon law, so simple, just ask them to repair for free or put in writing if they consider is normal, and then sue based on lemon law.

Must gather more info before going into this...Hey,where are all the VW owners.???

Must gather more info before going into this...Hey,where are all the VW owners.???

Driving an R. Almost 30k now. Coolant was almost same level as at 15k servicing. I believe does consume a bit due to evaporation and maybe minute leaks at some seal areas.

The guy who told you that consumption due to turbocharging is BULLSxxT. Coolant flow is in a close circuit. At 1.2L, you have quite some leak somewhere.....

Driving an R. Almost 30k now. Coolant was almost same level as at 15k servicing. I believe does consume a bit due to evaporation and maybe minute leaks at some seal areas.

The guy who told you that consumption due to turbocharging is BULLSxxT. Coolant flow is in a close circuit. At 1.2L, you have quite some leak somewhere.....

My Brother in law also told the S.A. this,but he keep on saying is NORMAL....furthermore he drive quite slow,not like those who 'whack' their cars.

This loss of coolant has been discussed before, usually related to head gasket problem.

New car where got head gasket problem.?Well just ask my Brother in law to monitor the coolant level,today service already top up to the correct level,see how it goes.

haha... drive kelisa is best. 130k, still going strong, bullet proof

Two possibilities in my opinion

1.) No head gasket issue (better pray this is the case!). When the coolant main circuit pressure exceeds set point, instead of venting into expansion/overflow tank, it starts to vent off via the coolant cap. Check whether cap is tightened and inspect the rubber o ring. i think there should be one.

2.) there is a head gasket exhaust leak. Nothing wrong with main coolant tank cap. When coolant main circuit pressure exceeds setpoint, the coolant correctly vents into expansion tank. However the exhaust leak from the head gasket causes further pressurisation and the coolant is forced to vent off via the expansion tank cap. Inspect the expansion tank cap and its o ring. . May have to inspect head gasket too.

Any other symptoms besides topping up the coolant to the brim of the cap?

VW cars don't need to top up to the brim,the tank have a "MAX" mark,it is only up to there[engine cold].

A few people I know who drive cars with the EA888 engine (both Audi & VW) say that they lose a little coolant over time, but not as much as 1.2L. They may need to top up once or so between 15,000km services.

↡ Advertisement