LTA Sets Operating Requirements for Taxi Companies

Gee

Of course taxis must Clock proper long enough mileage

Otherwise companies always say there's demand and keep buying COE to expand fleet.

On the other hand, public always wait and wait no cab

as if congestion is not enough..

or missed out the underlying message. :huh:

LTA sets operating requirements for taxi companies

By Dylan Loh | Posted: 23 November 2012 1137 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Land Transport Authority (LTA) has set minimum standards for taxi availability.

From January 2013, 70 per cent of all taxis, per cab company, will have to reach a minimum daily mileage of 250 kilometres.

This translates to around eight to nine hours on the road per day, five days a week.

Cab companies will also need to ensure that 70 per cent of their entire fleet are on the roads during the morning and evening peak periods.

Based on these indicators, authorities will evaluate if taxi firms are allowed to grow their fleet.

- CNA/xq

↡ Advertisement

i just find it funny that ppl want to take away basic human rights just so that they can take a taxi easily....

the drivers are probably doing their own things because they have work hard during the rest of the days and earn enough....

thats how i see it.... and they are entitled to rest...

i just find it funny that ppl want to take away basic human rights just so that they can take a taxi easily....

the drivers are probably doing their own things because they have work hard during the rest of the days and earn enough....

thats how i see it.... and they are entitled to rest...

+1

you guys are really something, coming up with almost outlandish scenarios. is this really going to affect the typical taxi driver? I don't know of any taxi driver that doesn't clock such mileage. and this requirement is levied on the cab. So for those cabbies which have relief drivers, the requirement is nothing!

what they are really going after, are the mavericks. the errant ones who don't genuinely rent a cab for the purpose of conveying passengers. surely amongst you, tales of how certain individuals abuse the cheap taxi rentals as a personal transport tool have been shared and regaled.

or those who hide during rainy days to cherry pick customers who make bookings instead of dutifully trawling the roads.

in a nutshell, the majority of the taxi driving crowd will be unaffected. why would they care that the company won't be allowed to expand the fleet? like its their problem! :D

Edited by Happily1986

Motivated cab drivers have nothing to worry from these measures because they will attain it easily.

If you park at Pearls Centre on a Saturday afternoon, you can see up to 20% of the car parked are cabs, the reason being there is a jockey club simulcast there, so those cabbies are obviously there to gamble on horses rather than picking up shopping customers on busy Saturday.

I think LTA aim at these people, rightly so.

If they want to enforce, then the cab companies should hire these drivers as their own staffs with the same kind of benefits with basic pay + commissions per passenger trip.

The scorlers up there should use their brains (if they have any in the 1st place) to see how they can overhaul the industry between the cab companies and drivers.

This new law wouldn't affect the big company one la. 70% of the fleet working? Checked. Run 250km per day? Checked. 250km is nothing to our cab. Our cab driver daily smelly smelly clock 300km and upwards for one shift. What is 250?

When satellite ERP kicks in, do you think it'll be more difficult to get a cab if taxis are not given any special concessions?

Or will the taxi operators absorb the costs for the tolls when the taxis are running empty?

Come out with 1 not so excellent "solution", but create more problems later.

Next time all taxi drivers will be waiting at carparks to wait for calls or if we need cabs will have to go carparks look for them.

When satellite ERP kicks in, do you think it'll be more difficult to get a cab if taxis are not given any special concessions?

Or will the taxi operators absorb the costs for the tolls when the taxis are running empty?

+1.. Yes, agree.. The scholars never think thru all the scenarios before declaring this rule..

Crowdsource the data first la.. or they dun care??? [rolleyes]

you guys are really something, coming up with almost outlandish scenarios. is this really going to affect the typical taxi driver? I don't know of any taxi driver that doesn't clock such mileage. and this requirement is levied on the cab. So for those cabbies which have relief drivers, the requirement is nothing!

what they are really going after, are the mavericks. the errant ones who don't genuinely rent a cab for the purpose of conveying passengers. surely amongst you, tales of how certain individuals abuse the cheap taxi rentals as a personal transport tool have been shared and regaled.

or those who hide during rainy days to cherry pick customers who make bookings instead of dutifully trawling the roads.

in a nutshell, the majority of the taxi driving crowd will be unaffected. why would they care that the company won't be allowed to expand the fleet? like its their problem! :D

Very good assessment. [thumbsup]

But a bad example of a policy flip flop U turn....allowing cabs to stop anywhere in CBD...

Minimum mileage and peak shoulder period rules for taxis to be scrapped next month

SINGAPORE — From January, taxi drivers will no longer be required to clock a minimum daily mileage and ply the roads during peak shoulder hours, following the review of the taxi availability framework.

Since January 2013, a certain proportion of an operator's taxi fleet has to clock at least 250 km each day, and be on the roads during both peak and peak shoulder periods to improve the availability of taxis for commuters. However, taxi drivers have spoken out against these rules, especially in recent years after the entry of private car hire service providers such as Uber and Grab which are not subjected to the framework. 

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/minimum-mileage-and-peak-hour-rules-taxis-be-scrapped-next-month

• Praise 1

This one don't think so. They harmonise to their advantage.  [laugh]

Ideally, there should be no peak or mid-night surcharge just like HK.

But, between two devils (variable surge charging vs peak/fixed mid-night surcharge), the latter is lesser evil.

So means peak hour and midnite surcharge also scrap?

Edited by Kangadrool

With so many rules and ever changing rules not only frustrates our overworked taxi drivers but also passengers.

Eg when I take a taxi ride I truly don't know if I had been taken for a ride with so many level of surcharges.

It seems a real problem or habit for authorities to implement something then quickly change. They don't realize that they are playing with people's lives.

Even then with so many rules and added new rules, the problem still exist.

The need for taxi services steps from the following:

1. genuine need like transporting emergency use, elderly, physically challenged individuals

2. Inadequate public transport service including buses and mrt which does not connect well

3. Operating hours of our public transport, people working in service industry have grave yard shift and not every body can afford their own BMW 5 series to collect bodies.

4. Others finding owning a private car just too expensive and need to rely on taxi

5. Some just adhoc use

I cannot understand why authorities keep imposing financial penalties to solve our transport problem such as satellite ERP soon. These systems cost billions to install and maintain. Why don't they use these money to invest in a good comprehensive net work of our public transport system.

I truly wondered what is the impetus to spend a one off major upgrade to our public transport system so the citizens would or will use them on a daily basis for almost everything. Thus making it a second nature.

If you think about the amount of money spend on our new express highway (servicing just how many % of our population which cost billions), electricity cost of our garden by the Bay (tens of millions) and military spending etc.

Personally I believe an efficiency public transportation system in any city is important because it is the life line for everything that goes on in the city.

• Praise 7

So means peak hour and midnite surcharge also scrap?

no lah, basically just the 250km per day thingy.

and you take taxi at midnight why ?  [sly]

Policy shift/u-turn/3-point-turn?

What for want Uber/Grab to clock minibun haulage? Want lice bow broking?>

Uber made them rethink.

Right or wrong, dunno. Just see how things play out.

Actually not sure whether the 250km thingy was effective in the first place in meeting public transportation needs. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1