Where to buy cheaper cholesterol medicine?

Mustank

polyclinic and govt hospital subsidised med most likely cheaper than GPs. they make a hell lot more $ on the med too. volume purchase...

↡ Advertisement

If the medicine is not subsidized, is the price same as private GP? I believe for medicine like cholesterol is quite common for many people even for young people, cause some people have cholesterol problem due to genetic and not from foods.

Knn, my loctor says it's genetic. No amount of exercise and diet can Lower my cholesterol.

I Beri sad....got to pop pills for the rest of my life....

If the medicine is not subsidized, is the price same as private GP? I believe for medicine like cholesterol is quite common for many people even for young people, cause some people have cholesterol problem due to genetic and not from foods.

Still cheaper. Polyclinic don't need to pay rent mah.

Even storage space costs money u know.

If u store less, the drugs cost more every time u order smaller batches. If u store more, then u also need to factor how much u can store and you need to factor in your rent.

it's like a mom & pop mama store competing with NTUC.

• Praise 1

Now my ldl 190 but heng kidney and liver ok

ate oat and banana for dinner yesterday

Kena asked to eat Crestor Liao

maybe report to Polyclinic to deal with this at a lower cost

Gonna to stop all kinds of crazy food

Just to share... last year, Oct 2016, I did a checkup at GP and gotten the shocking result:

HDL = 36 mg/dl (ideal is >40, I'm below the range, higher HDL is ideal)

LDL =  Cannot be estimated due to interference from elevated triglycerides level (as stated in the report)

Triglycerides = 1333 mg/dl (ideal is <40, my triglycerides level is considered as extremely high)

Total Cholesterol = 351 mg/dl (ideal is <200, too high in total cholesterol too)

Seeing the result, I was like seeing the end of the world... [dead]    [angel]

I'm 1.68m and 70kg, slightly over weight but didn't expect my cholesterol level was so bad. I quickly went to polyclinic and was then referred to hospital. The doctor saw my blood test result and said I might get stroke easily at this extremely high cholesterol/triglycerides level. Doctor also said my issue was probably due to inherited gene as both my parents are having high cholesterol too.

Long story short, I was given medicines and fish oil. I also cut all junk food, reduced sugar, plus do exercise everyday (I started to exercise everyday and cutting junk food since seeing the result in Oct).

Three months later, did the blood test again. The result was very encouraging: (hospital uses different measurement units as from GP)

HDL = 1.43 mmol/L (desirable 1.0-1.5, I'm at the recommended marking, higher is better)

LDL =  1.97 mmol/L (desirable 2.6-3.3, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Triglycerides = 0.89 mmol/L (desirable 1.7-2.2, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Total Cholesterol = 3.40 mmol/L (desirable less than 5.2, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Till date, after about a year, my cholesterol level are still in desirable level (check up in Mar, May and July 2017).

I continue to exercise daily (eg: 300 situp, 100 pushup, walk staircase for 50mins, or cycling for 2hours, or slow jogging for an hour. Cut junk food (eg: fried chicken, soft drink, bbq pork, ice-cream, sweet coffee/tea, etc),  consumed healthier food (roasted meat instead of fried meat, more veggie, less sweeten coffee/tea with low fat milk, increase more meals with lesser portion of food, etc)

Although I'm still taking the medicine, my target is to eventually able to stop taking medicine (with doctor's advise). 

Hope this sharing shed some light to others who are having high cholesterol that, medication, exercise and food are the right way to gain back your health. Cheers!  :D

Edited by M3oso
  • Praise 4

Just to share... last year, Oct 2016, I did a checkup at GP and gotten the shocking result:

LDL = Cannot be estimated due to interference from elevated triglycerides level (as stated in the report)

Triglycerides = 1333 mg/dl (ideal is <40, my triglycerides level is considered as extremely high)

Total Cholesterol = 351 mg/dl (ideal is <200, too high in total cholesterol too)

Seeing the result, I was like seeing the end of the world... [dead][angel]

I'm 1.68m and 70kg, slightly over weight but didn't expect my cholesterol level was so bad. I quickly went to polyclinic and was then referred to hospital. The doctor saw my blood test result and said I might get stroke easily at this extremely high cholesterol/triglycerides level. Doctor also said my issue was probably due to inherited gene as both my parents are having high cholesterol too.

Long story short, I was given medicines and fish oil. I also cut all junk food, reduced sugar, plus do exercise everyday (I started to exercise everyday and cutting junk food since seeing the result in Oct).

Three months later, did the blood test again. The result was very encouraging: (hospital uses different measurement units as from GP)

HDL = 1.43 mmol/L (desirable 1.0-1.5, I'm at the recommended marking, higher is better)

LDL = 1.97 mmol/L (desirable 2.6-3.3, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Triglycerides = 0.89 mmol/L (desirable 1.7-2.2, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Total Cholesterol = 3.40 mmol/L (desirable less than 5.2, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Till date, after about a year, my cholesterol level are still in desirable level (check up in Mar, May and July 2017).

I continue to exercise daily (eg: 300 situp, 100 pushup, walk staircase for 50mins, or cycling for 2hours, or slow jogging for an hour. Cut junk food (eg: fried chicken, soft drink, bbq pork, ice-cream, sweet coffee/tea, etc), consumed healthier food (roasted meat instead of fried meat, more veggie, less sweeten coffee/tea with low fat milk, increase more meals with lesser portion of food, etc)

Although I'm still taking the medicine, my target is to eventually able to stop taking medicine (with doctor's advise).

Hope this sharing shed some light to others who are having high cholesterol that, medication, exercise and food are the right way to gain back your health. Cheers! :D

Support!!!!!

LDL = Cannot be estimated due to interference from elevated triglycerides level (as stated in the report)

Triglycerides = 1333 mg/dl (ideal is <40, my triglycerides level is considered as extremely high)

Total Cholesterol = 351 mg/dl (ideal is <200, too high in total cholesterol too)

Seeing the result, I was like seeing the end of the world... [dead][angel]

I'm 1.68m and 70kg, slightly over weight but didn't expect my cholesterol level was so bad. I quickly went to polyclinic and was then referred to hospital. The doctor saw my blood test result and said I might get stroke easily at this extremely high cholesterol/triglycerides level. Doctor also said my issue was probably due to inherited gene as both my parents are having high cholesterol too.

LDL = 1.97 mmol/L (desirable 2.6-3.3, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Triglycerides = 0.89 mmol/L (desirable 1.7-2.2, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

Total Cholesterol = 3.40 mmol/L (desirable less than 5.2, I'm better than the recommended marking, lower is better)

I continue to exercise daily (eg: 300 situp, 100 pushup, walk staircase for 50mins, or cycling for 2hours, or slow jogging for an hour. Cut junk food (eg: fried chicken, soft drink, bbq pork, ice-cream, sweet coffee/tea, etc), consumed healthier food (roasted meat instead of fried meat, more veggie, less sweeten coffee/tea with low fat milk, increase more meals with lesser portion of food, etc)

Hope this sharing shed some light to others who are having high cholesterol that, medication, exercise and food are the right way to gain back your health. Cheers! :D

The improvement in triglycerides is amazing. Thanks for sharing the methods that works.

many go JB to buy, think 1/3 of the price here.

the best is-

can easily buy over the counter without the need of black n white docs, so u can hitch ur friends to buy for u

high blood pressure medication too

easily available at KSL 

Just curious, is this number correct.

I've never seen such a high level ever in my experience.

Even among totally uncontrolled diabetics.

It seems like a typo to me.

Triglycerides = 1333 mg/dl (ideal is <40, my triglycerides level is considered as extremely high)

Edited by Lala81

Knn, my loctor says it's genetic. No amount of exercise and diet can Lower my cholesterol.

I Beri sad....got to pop pills for the rest of my life....

Last year I had a blood test done at polyclinic and a few days later got call from polyclinic that Dr wanted wanted to see me ASAP !!!  :a-SOS:

A Dr looked at me very stressed and said my readings were off the charts.  :a-confused:

I was very surprised and I felt perfectly OK. 

Did another blood test and 2 days later went back to polyclinic and another Dr attended to me. He looked at the results and looked at me and asked "You got go gym ?".

By then the readings were somewhat back to normal levels so no further action required.

Googled a bit and found out that gym workouts will affect blood test results for some people. So happens I was in the gym just a day before the first blood test.

This was new to me so just sharing my personal experience. So now I do not do any form of strenuous exercise 2 - 3 days before my blood test. 

• Praise 2

hmmm what was the abnormality?

Last year I had a blood test done at polyclinic and a few days later got call from polyclinic that Dr wanted wanted to see me ASAP !!!  :a-SOS:

A Dr looked at me very stressed and said my readings were off the charts.  :a-confused:

Did another blood test and 2 days later went back to polyclinic and another Dr attended to me. He looked at the results and looked at me and asked "You got go gym ?".

By then the readings were somewhat back to normal levels so no further action required.

Googled a bit and found out that gym workouts will affect blood test results for some people. So happens I was in the gym just a day before the first blood test.

This was new to me so just sharing my personal experience. So now I do not do any form of strenuous exercise 2 - 3 days before my blood test. 

hmmm what was the abnormality?

Offhand I cannot remember.

Either Total or Triglycerides or both.

It was just a once off thing and I was satisfied that it was due to my gym session prior so I did not keep a copy of the report.

Again, doesn't happen to everybody. Just some. Moi is some.  [:p]

I read somewhere that strength/weight workouts will raise the liver enzymes in the liver function tests, as your muscle break  down due to the heavy lifting. So to get accurate blood reading, best is not to train on the day before the blood test.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

Thought exercise will do good your body and health? How could the blood test will ended up abnormal?  :o

It was just a once off thing and I was satisfied that it was due to my gym session prior so I did not keep a copy of the report.

hmmm

Usually when some people exercise, u can get blood in the urine. I guess your Creatine kinase can get elevated temporarily if you lifted enough heavy weights.

never saw TG/cholesterol being affected by exercise.

hmmm

Usually when some people exercise, u can get blood in the urine. I guess your Creatine kinase can get elevated temporarily if you lifted enough heavy weights.

never saw TG/cholesterol being affected by exercise.

May be he alien
  • Praise 1

never knew that. thanks for informing.

edit: Found this after googling. not sure how correct since it is not from a medical article or source.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/439521-can-strenuous-exercise-before-a-cholesterol-test-increase-ldl/

Edited by Kxbc
↡ Advertisement