Where to buy cheaper cholesterol medicine?

Mustank

(edited)

I just did my health screen once every two years....

LDL

2013 177 mg/dL

2015 158

2017 174....

Triglycerides dropped though...

I just eat fish oil and 3in1 oats for breakfast.... signed up for gym , going to swim 3 times a week

Problem with me is my Uric acid is high too 9.1 mg/dL .. now got hip pain sometimes.. so many things cannot eat

Is instant oats Bad?

I am no expert

The following is Google one

The key trick in oat is fiber

Fiber is the highest in non instant oat

So trick is to eat the non instant one

Got rolled got steel cut

What’s the difference I donno

An Aspirin a day will keep stroke/heart attack away. An aspirin act as a blood thinner so that we won't get sudden attack. I think Some doctor prescribe aspirin to those above 65 years old. One month supply cost about $13 dollars. Buy in jb is even cheaper. Just don't take on empty stomach.

I can’t

I am g6pd deficient

Eat aspirin already straight away up lorry :XD:

Protein in urine?

:yeah-im-not-drunk:

There are many types of oats

But the best are the wild ones :XD:

Edited by Mustank
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I want to buy fishoil capsules, but so many controversies.

In the end I buy flaxseed oil to try. Not sure if it makes any difference.

• Praise 1

I recently went to do my health screening and was recommended by the GP to take cholesterol meds.

My readings

Year/Total Cholesterol/Blood Trig/HDL/LDL

2013/254/82/70/168

2015/258/84//74/167

2017/269/93/70/181

So it has been steadily increasing. However some folks tell me it's still ok, as it's not good to take meds. I'm 41 this year. Shd I try to control the diet first before resorting to taking meds?

An Aspirin a day will keep stroke/heart attack away. An aspirin act as a blood thinner so that we won't get sudden attack. I think Some doctor prescribe aspirin to those above 65 years old. One month supply cost about $13 dollars. Buy in jb is even cheaper. Just don't take on empty stomach.

can buy 1 box (1 mth supply) @$3+ fm mustafa

I just went to polyclinic to see doctor.

Medicine is heavily subsidised.

Cardiprin or aspirin (30 days, 100mg) is $7.70 at the pharmacy off-the-counter

If you get prescribed by the doctor, it's $1.80

If you're getting elderly and require long term medication for standard drugs, do check out the polyclinic.

Medicine after subsidy is cheaper than JB.

• Praise 3

If you're getting elderly and require long term medication for standard drugs, do check out the polyclinic.

Can use Medisave to pay for the medicine too.

• Praise 1

Can we buy cholesterol medicine from polyclinic pharmacy off the counter?

I recently went to do my health screening and was recommended by the GP to take cholesterol meds.

My readings

2013/254/82/70/168

2015/258/84//74/167

2017/269/93/70/181

So it has been steadily increasing. However some folks tell me it's still ok, as it's not good to take meds. I'm 41 this year. Shd I try to control the diet first before resorting to taking meds?

If your bp is normal, then start by managing diet.

If its high bp and high cholesterol, better start medication in addition to managing diet.

My $0.02.

• Praise 1

If your bp is normal, then start by managing diet.

If its high bp and high cholesterol, better start medication in addition to managing diet.

My $0.02.

Also must see if the high cholesterol is due to genetic or not. Cause if it is due to genetic, even your bp is normal and manage diet and exercise, the reading would probably will not come down to normal range.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

FYI flaxseed is not suitable for those with underactive thyroid. Makes the problem worse.

The high ALA in flaxseed oil is good. 

But just eat 2 spoons of ground flaxseed everyday lah if u really want the benefits.

1 small packet is just a few dollars at NTUC. Can last u quite a while as well. Just use a sealer clip and chuck it in the fridge. 

FYI flaxseed is not suitable for those with underactive thyroid. Makes the problem worse.

no real strong evidence of that IMO.

It's just a theory. No real studies have confirmed it.

My readings

2013/254/82/70/168

2015/258/84//74/167

2017/269/93/70/181

U can see your doctor and discuss your 10 year coronary artery risk assessment (based on your age, BP, cholesterol readings) and decide if it's worthwhile. This is from the Lipid guidelines of 2016. Whether u are low, intermediate or high risk.

U can see your doctor and discuss your 10 year coronary artery risk assessment (based on your age, BP, cholesterol readings) and decide if it's worthwhile. This is from the Lipid guidelines of 2016. Whether u are low, intermediate or high risk.

I belong to the low risk category, that's why the numbers are considered high for a low risk group...

Anw I need to take the test again in 3 months time, so maybe I will work with the diet first to see if it helps.

I belong to the low risk category, that's why the numbers are considered high for a low risk group...

Anw I need to take the test again in 3 months time, so maybe I will work with the diet first to see if it helps.

i would say your numbers are moderately high, even if u are categorised in low risk currently. 

You definitely need to bring them down.

• Praise 1

Your total cholesterol reading seems high to me, i see liao also scare. Cause my total cholesterol reading was around 220, i already scare liao. Lol.

i would say your numbers are moderately high, even if u are categorised in low risk currently. 

You definitely need to bring them down.

Are there any side effects for cholesterol med?

My readings

2013/254/82/70/168

2015/258/84//74/167

2017/269/93/70/181

My Polyclinic gives results in Mmol/l

One question I have about 'burning' off fat.

What is the mechanism for ridding the fat out of the body.

Does it go through the bloodstream and then liver.

If so won't the cholesterol in the bloodstream peak and maybe deposit on inside of arteries.

Just another thing after many tests at NUH cardio I was diagnosed with having had a silent heart attack.

In some ways I was pleased as after one HA odds on surviving another are higher?

Then I was in UK and had further tests and was told in no way had I had a silent HA.

I went back to NUH and showed them my UK results and they agreed no silent HA.

muscle and liver problems are the 2 side effects we are mostly concerned with. But a lot of people take this medicine, so only some of them will have issues.

as usual, it's not as scary as the internet makes it up to be, but there are always side effects with any medication.

Of course if u can improve with your diet and lifestyle change, that is 100% the bestest.

My Polyclinic gives results in Mmol/l

One question I have about 'burning' off fat.

What is the mechanism for ridding the fat out of the body.

Does it go through the bloodstream and then liver.

If so won't the cholesterol in the bloodstream peak and maybe deposit on inside of arteries.

Just another thing after many tests at NUH cardio I was diagnosed with having had a silent heart attack.

In some ways I was pleased as after one HA odds on surviving another are higher?

Then I was in UK and had further tests and was told in no way had I had a silent HA.

I went back to NUH and showed them my UK results and they agreed no silent HA.

It's very complicated for a layman. You can go read up. People can devote their PHD to understanding one component of lipid metabolism.

Even most doctors just understand the bare basics. 

• Praise 2

Yes I get very severe and I mean severe muscle cramps.

I was on 40mg Simvastatin and the doctor tried me on Atoravastatin with no change.

Then tried Pravastatin with no change.

So then went to Simvastain at 20 mg dose which my UK GP said will not make any difference to muscle cramps but the cholesterol will increase.

Anyway I went to another UK GP and he did change to 20mg Simvastatin and the cramps reduced significantly with only very small increase in cholesterol.

↡ Advertisement