Taiwan: Holiday in Taipei & Tainan

Picnic06-Biante15

nice pics you have there but was these photos enhances on computer after taking in raw?

your contrast and colours are very nice and sharp too..

mind sharing what lens you are on?

i only do a S curve adjustment. didn't really need to do much PP :D

using 5DMKII + Carl Zeiss 21mm + 35L + 135L (yes! this portrait lens for those mountain shots at Alishan)

i only do a S curve adjustment. didn't really need to do much PP :D

using 5DMKII + Carl Zeiss 21mm + 35L + 135L (yes! this portrait lens for those mountain shots at Alishan)

Refer to signature guidelines and remove your personal advertising.

thank you.

Yes starry minsu at cinjing at night can have a drink outside and the sky is very clear can see plenty of stars if you are lucky.

i went at march this year..v nice place and super nice owner..and the husky is cool..

morning woke up and sat at the balcony with cloud moving past u...awesome

i just came back from taiwan last week. some info which might be useful to u :

it gets dark early now. ard 5~5:30.

before you leave for taiwan, you can drop by the SG taiwan tourism office at chevron building to get some freebies. this time they only have NT50 vouchers (NT100 per person) for use in the night markets (you can use them at shilin). just show your air ticket and hotel receipts. previously they had free tickets to theme parks but the offer ended liao.

u can buy the 大哥大 pre-paid card (available various durations and plans type eg data + call, or call only or data only etc). i bought the 10 day one for NT800. comes with unlimited 3G data plan, free incoming calls and NT550 worth of calls including international calls (can call to SG ~1hr). i got it from the airport once you exit the customs.

you can travel very easily by their MRT. suggest you buy the card (deposit NT100, value of either NT100 or NT400) and then top up if necessary. they also have tourist MRT card but many of my friends prefer the normal card (the card system is like our MRT). before going back to SG, can refund unused balance and deposit. There is a admin fee of NT20 (regardless u refund 1 or more cards). alternatively, taxi is not expensive but by law they can only take 4 pax. if you are travelling short distances (e.g. ard 4~5 MRT stops) you can consider taking taxi esp if you have 4 pax.

i got someone to fetch my family to and from the airport for NT1200 each way. if you take cab from airport to hotel, it is also around NT1000 but cabs can only take 4 pax. on my last day, i got her to bring me to buy the taiyang biscuits and stuff before heading to the airport. those biscuits and pineapple tarts are made fresh and so best is to buy on last day. if you buy in large qty (i think min 12 packets) they will pack into box for you to check in as luggage. i also got the driver to bring me for 1 day tour out of taipei. went to jiufen old town, shifen (waterfall and old mine) and then to pingxi to light the tiandeng (sky lantern - NT150 for one hugh one. you can light fireworks at pingxi too but it costs almost NT1000 but the fireworks display is worth it... multiple bursts. i did not try it but some kid did so everybody enjoyed the 'free' fireworks ! ). I paid NT3500 for the whole day ~8-9 hrs trip (10 seater van). i had known the driver previously and have recommended her and her husband to my friends. if you need the contact can pm me.

besides the usual night markets of shilin, you may want to consider going to shida night market where it is more hip as it is near to the university and lots of young ppl (ahem..mei mei) go there compared to shilin. there are small shops selling v up to date clothings and stuff for the young crowds, and also nice street food. must try the polo pao there. my dad says its the best he has eaten even compared to hk. personally i prefer shida to shilin.

danshui is now very popular as well and if you go on weekends, expect hugh crowds. but it adds to the atmosphere of the old town and the street food is also yummy ! takes almost an hr of train ride from taipei.

another place worth going is maokong gondola. it is at the taipei zoo (take MRT there). the gondola is actually part of the public transport system. you can take the gondola(actually cable car) from outside taipei zoo all the way to the mountain top. the journey is very long and is 30min one way and costs only NT50 (you can use the MRT card to buy the tickets). choose the cable car with clear glass bottom. same price! at the mountain, there are tea plantations and cafes for you to chillax and watch the taipei night lights (if you stay till dark. anyway now is winter so it gets dark by 5~5:30pm).

plenty of things to do in taiwan. just google or use tripadvisor and you can find out a lot more places of interest which other bros have shared.

can take kuo kuang bus from airport to taipei main station. 100+ntd per pax iirc. Get the easycard to travel ard. 100 deposit refundable with 20NTD deducted. Freego bus goes to XMD from airport but its after 10am.

Sim card can be gotten from airport.

Wherever u travel, u will find cab drivers outside train station providing u 8 hrs service. Pok heng suay. However, not needed for taipei as everywhere is accessible via train/metro.

Actually dun need to book all the hotel online, sometimes its much expensiver. I went there and walk-in to check rooms first before booking. Normally minsu can nego price.

Neutral Newbie

before you leave for taiwan, you can drop by the SG taiwan tourism office at chevron building to get some freebies. this time they only have NT50 vouchers (NT100 per person) for use in the night markets (you can use them at shilin). just show your air ticket and hotel receipts. previously they had free tickets to theme parks but the offer ended liao.

u can buy the 大哥大 pre-paid card (available various durations and plans type eg data + call, or call only or data only etc). i bought the 10 day one for NT800. comes with unlimited 3G data plan, free incoming calls and NT550 worth of calls including international calls (can call to SG ~1hr). i got it from the airport once you exit the customs.

you can travel very easily by their MRT. suggest you buy the card (deposit NT100, value of either NT100 or NT400) and then top up if necessary. they also have tourist MRT card but many of my friends prefer the normal card (the card system is like our MRT). before going back to SG, can refund unused balance and deposit. There is a admin fee of NT20 (regardless u refund 1 or more cards). alternatively, taxi is not expensive but by law they can only take 4 pax. if you are travelling short distances (e.g. ard 4~5 MRT stops) you can consider taking taxi esp if you have 4 pax.

i got someone to fetch my family to and from the airport for NT1200 each way. if you take cab from airport to hotel, it is also around NT1000 but cabs can only take 4 pax. on my last day, i got her to bring me to buy the taiyang biscuits and stuff before heading to the airport. those biscuits and pineapple tarts are made fresh and so best is to buy on last day. if you buy in large qty (i think min 12 packets) they will pack into box for you to check in as luggage. i also got the driver to bring me for 1 day tour out of taipei. went to jiufen old town, shifen (waterfall and old mine) and then to pingxi to light the tiandeng (sky lantern - NT150 for one hugh one. you can light fireworks at pingxi too but it costs almost NT1000 but the fireworks display is worth it... multiple bursts. i did not try it but some kid did so everybody enjoyed the 'free' fireworks ! ). I paid NT3500 for the whole day ~8-9 hrs trip (10 seater van). i had known the driver previously and have recommended her and her husband to my friends. if you need the contact can pm me.

besides the usual night markets of shilin, you may want to consider going to shida night market where it is more hip as it is near to the university and lots of young ppl (ahem..mei mei) go there compared to shilin. there are small shops selling v up to date clothings and stuff for the young crowds, and also nice street food. must try the polo pao there. my dad says its the best he has eaten even compared to hk. personally i prefer shida to shilin.

danshui is now very popular as well and if you go on weekends, expect hugh crowds. but it adds to the atmosphere of the old town and the street food is also yummy ! takes almost an hr of train ride from taipei.

another place worth going is maokong gondola. it is at the taipei zoo (take MRT there). the gondola is actually part of the public transport system. you can take the gondola(actually cable car) from outside taipei zoo all the way to the mountain top. the journey is very long and is 30min one way and costs only NT50 (you can use the MRT card to buy the tickets). choose the cable car with clear glass bottom. same price! at the mountain, there are tea plantations and cafes for you to chillax and watch the taipei night lights (if you stay till dark. anyway now is winter so it gets dark by 5~5:30pm).

plenty of things to do in taiwan. just google or use tripadvisor and you can find out a lot more places of interest which other bros have shared.

Bro how much does it cost to book a car with driver to jiufen and shifen? Thanks!

Thanks, very detail informations .... [wave]

(edited)

Was in taiwan a week ago for a 7days trip. Place went was taichung>nantou>cingjing>hehuansan>taroko gorge>hualien>suhua highwayand back in taipei.

You can expected wet wet days everyday in taipei now, better luck to see a little of sunlight if go southward!

If you go cingjing stay on top, be well prepared for winter wears cos the temp there at night can dropped to as low as 6 degrees celsius!! We stayed 2 nights up there in 2 different minsu. There is heater inroom for first night but luck was down when realised 2nd night minsu don have heater and we have to sleep without that at 6 degree celsius. So do check with your hotel is any heater provded( must).

The scene above cingjing/hehuansan/tarogo gorge and along suhua highway was great!!

If you are there for many days, try to explore southward rather than stay just in taipei!! Taipei now rain all days, so it might be quite spoiling if whole trip affected by rains.

Hope u enjoy your taiwan trip!!

Those places in red will visit next year.

Thanks for the informations and photos... [wave]

Edited by Picnic06

Since I'm going next week and knowing that it will be cold.

I wonder if next year re-visit in June school holidays, would the weather be fine? (around 24 ~ 28 degrees or like SG, 30 ~ 33 degrees)

Look likes have to plan a 14 days trip next time round. -_-

Since I'm going next week and knowing that it will be cold.

I wonder if next year re-visit in June school holidays, would the weather be fine? (around 24 ~ 28 degrees or like SG, 30 ~ 33 degrees)

Look likes have to plan a 14 days trip next time round. -_-

Early June is rainy season and try to avoid the Computex week, which is around the first week of June....

Early June is rainy season and try to avoid the Computex week, which is around the first week of June....

Okie, thanks.... [wave]

Today in office can plan and book my leave for 2nd half of June. -_-