What is the diff btw Starhub Cable and Fibre broadband ?

Spiderman302

Starhub Broadband cable 100mps cost more than fibre 150mps.

Any idea what are the diff interms of real performance ?

The guy in the shop told me the following :

1. Cable have higher speed when access international sites. Slower for local sites.

2. Fibre slower when access international sites, but faster for local sites.

I cant understand the rational. How fast is fast etc...

Can some one explain ?

thks

↡ Advertisement

I'm guessing the guy is bsing. you..... Put it this way, for a long time, only StarHub cable network and if they lower the price of the top tier, they must lower the price of the lower tier too, whixb I eleven there are still quite a number of subscriber locked up in contract. As for fiber, they lanlan need to match up the priceof the competitor, so that's. why you see such weird pricing.

For nest subscribers, I really don't see the point of subscribing cable anymore....

I used to subscribe to Starhub cable but made the switch to M1 fibre 2 yrs ago.

I must say that Fibre broadband is faster in ALL aspects. Much much faster.

Even overseas websites, the loading speed is faster (if, not, the same)

IMO, Fibre is the way to go now. Cable will soon follow ADSL and the 56k modem.... =p

Starhub Broadband cable 100mps cost more than fibre 150mps.

Any idea what are the diff interms of real performance ?

The guy in the shop told me the following :

1. Cable have higher speed when access international sites. Slower for local sites.

2. Fibre slower when access international sites, but faster for local sites.

I cant understand the rational. How fast is fast etc...

Can some one explain ?

thks

Why don't you ask him how many Internet Gateway/exchange are there in SG?

Most of the time, the slow speeds are due ISP throttling/capping.

In time to come when majority of the people are using fiber, cable speeds will not improve either. The ISPs will not invest much in equipment replacement/maintenance on the cable infrastructure when the user base is low.

Can someone help answer a few questions from me thanks. Currently I using Starhub cable Maxonline.

1.do I need to purchase another modem for the fibre?

2.i got SCV too so how to connect?

3.opennet got install the point in my living room next to Starhub the round(old) connecter point(for TV and Internet)

4.currently I pull a extended wire all the way to my master room from the TV connecter point(living room) so the set top box is in my room and Internet router too.

5.outside got sell the extended wire for fibre(around 10m long)

6.if I recontract I can go for 100mps using my current modem+router but is fibre really good to use now?

Hypersonic

Can someone help answer a few questions from me thanks. Currently I using Starhub cable Maxonline.

3.opennet got install the point in my living room next to Starhub the round(old) connecter point(for TV and Internet)

4.currently I pull a extended wire all the way to my master room from the TV connecter point(living room) so the set top box is in my room and Internet router too.

6.if I recontract I can go for 100mps using my current modem+router but is fibre really good to use now?

Starhub got a plan that comes with both cable and fibre mah. Fibre definitely need another modem but that should be included in the contract assuming you are getting one.

TS definitely got bsed by Starhub guy. I was previously on M1 cable plan (I know M1 bought bandwidth from Starhub, just that I dislike Starhub service) then one day I received a letter from M1 stating that they are going to phase out cable plan and move to Fibre. So if I insist on staying on Cable, eventually I will have to pay more. Hence they were giving promotion on fixing my house with optic point terminal for free and if i signed up 2 years, I will be given free modem and cheaper subscription. I jump at the opportunity without looking back until now. basically having fibre kills my TV completely. My wife and myself prefers watching shows on youtube and other mode of streaming....

Trust me... Fibre Optic is freaking FAST!!!

ps I am on 200Mbps plan.

Starhub got a plan that comes with both cable and fibre mah. Fibre definitely need another modem but that should be included in the contract assuming you are getting one.

So if taking the dual than don't nd another modem?

Hypersonic

So if taking the dual than don't nd another modem?

Still need lah. Both are different. So got 2 modems.

Still need lah. Both are different. So got 2 modems.

Ok I saw it in their Web and it's 69.90(Internet cost only) but if I upgraded to 100mps cable its only cost me 58.80 include SCV, home line.

That y I checking if around this price should I opp for fibre instead?

And it's 100mps cable around fibre 100mps speed?

Hypersonic

Ok I saw it in their Web and it's 69.90(Internet cost only) but if I upgraded to 100mps cable its only cost me 58.80 include SCV, home line.

That y I checking if around this price should I opp for fibre instead?

And it's 100mps cable around fibre 100mps speed?

Cable 100 and fibre 100 should be almost the same. For higher fibre speed, the improve is mainly for local contents. Overseas website will not see such a big improvement.

1) They'll include a ONT or maybe also an AC DLink Modem.

2)Same lor, the cable point.

3)Then the fibre cable will connect the Opennet TP to the ONT they provide.

4)Use your extended ethernet cable to connect from the router. (PC>Router>ONT>TP)

5)Got.

6) Not sure.... Most has already jump boat to fibre since prices are getting more affordable than it used to be.

Edited by Holdenutessv
  • Praise 1

Cable 100 and fibre 100 should be almost the same. For higher fibre speed, the improve is mainly for local contents. Overseas website will not see such a big improvement.

If not much diff in fibre and cable 100mps than I just take the cable 100mps,at least don't need spend more money on 10m cable from living room point to room set top box and router.

Thanks bro

1) They'll include a ONT or maybe also an AC DLink Modem.

2)Same lor, the cable point.

3)Then the fibre cable will connect the Opennet TP to the ONT they provide.

4)Use your extended ethernet cable to connect from the router. (PC>Router>ONT>TP)

5)Got.

6) Not sure.... Most has already jump boat to fibre since prices are getting more affordable than it used to be.

Bro u using fibre?

There was a time saw alot of pple complaining in this forum.

Bro u using fibre?

Yep, Maxinfinity fibre 100mbps + SCV.

Only a few slowdowns, no significant problems happening...yet. [sweatdrop] Thinking of jumping boat to another ISP after contract ends.

Edited by Holdenutessv

Yep, Maxinfinity fibre 100mbps + SCV.

Only a few slowdowns, no significant problems happening...yet. [sweatdrop] Thinking of jumping boat to another ISP after contract ends.

Ok I will ask the sales person more details when they call me.

U not hub club?

I can't jump ship cos all my 4 mobile line is enjoying 30%discount.

Actually the cost of my Internet+SCV is free cos the 30% from all my 4 lines alr more than that amount.

cable 100 is not the same as fibre 100.

fibre 100 (or GPON) uses a dedicated fibre to connect the ONT (via 1 or 2 splitter) to the OLT (installed in ISP/exchange).

so you can be sure to get 100Mbps from ONT to OLT - assuming ISP did not overbook the fibre link

every households in a block taps onto the cable 100 and share the bandwidth.

since it is a shared link, you may not get 100Mbps if a lot of users login concurrently.

in short, I think fibre is better

• Praise 1

If not much diff in fibre and cable 100mps than I just take the cable 100mps,at least don't need spend more money on 10m cable from living room point to room set top box and router.

Thanks bro

Bro u using fibre?

Problem with cable is that it lose RF energy, the longer the wire. It'll come to point where the RF is iffy, then the Internet connection becomes too noisy and you keep getting drop packets or slow down...

Fibre is relatively free of noise. You can extend 100s of metres with little loss.

But it is more expensive per metre.

Both fibre and cable terminates at the modem. The modem connects to the router (via ethernet) which then distributes all your Internet connection via ethernet cable or wifi.

Everyone will have complain every now and then. Don't expect 100% perfect uptime.

Whether it's cable or fibre, eventually they will all join the same Starhub backbone network for local or international bandwidth.

↡ Advertisement