What is the diff btw Starhub Cable and Fibre broadband ?

Spiderman302

pre-installed smart tv app is free

when you run the netflix app to watch of course need subscription la

just run the apps and it will bring you to netflix website

no diff compare to access via mobile or ipad

i bought a Hisense smart tv ... and along with it, there is a netflix app in the tv s/w.

i have not used it before coz i am worried might have to pay for the access.

anyone else bought TV with pre-installed netflix ? is it chargeable ?

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

I stopped watching Free-to-air > 10 years.

I killed Starhub TV > 5 years

I am watching online streaming.

For US drama, I am using a service that’s better than Netflix.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Said this b4, with Smart TV and fiber broadband, all these boxes should phase out!! The various apps inside the Smart TV replaces all these boxes. Can watch Toggle, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video in 4K quality and soon to come Disney streaming app. All these using 1 remote control.

• Praise 2

Said this b4, with Smart TV and fiber broadband, all these boxes should phase out!! The various apps inside the Smart TV replaces all these boxes. Can watch Toggle, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video in 4K quality and soon to come Disney streaming app. All these using 1 remote control.

Set top boxes are so 1980s.

:D

Set top boxes are so 1980s.

I forgot to add

wired is also so 1980's.

Who brilliant idea is this?

Wired set top boxes.

How to be a smart nation with dumb ideas?

• Praise 1

I just do what my boss says.

He says wired boxes I just follow.

I have no idea, I have no initiative

I just work in senior management

don't ask me so many difficult questions.

Thinking give me a headache.

If people want to know why our economy is

not growing faster and wages are not rising more.

This post says it all.

the problem with smart tv apps is they are not updated fast enough by the maker

the tv also very slow in loading program, switching apps, not fully support HTML5

smart tv apps are not truly android apps that can be downloaded and installed from google play

smart tv apps are apps designed and released together with the tv

if the TV is 12-18 months old ... the smart tv apps are outdated liao

Edited by Wt_know

There is nothing wrong with cable TV.

Nobody watching cable TV is saying

my TV is obsolete I want to go to Fibre.

They should just renew the lease for another 3 years.

SH needs to work harder and not just get pushed around.

the problem with smart tv apps is they are not updated fast enough by the maker

the tv also very slow in loading program, switching apps, not fully support HTML5

smart tv apps are not truly android apps that can be downloaded and installed from google play

smart tv apps are apps designed and released together with the tv

if the TV is 12-18 months old ... the smart tv apps are outdated liao

Most TV speakers CMI.

Even I am watching streaming drama in stereo, every sound also very clear including dialogue

i am using apple tv ... sibei clear sibei smooth

also using iphone and ipad for screen mirroring

i am apple whore ... lol

Me too. Plus home theatre

Nowadays I also use MacBook Pro for AMDK drama.

Edited by Davidtch

Here's the thing about internet that many may not be aware.

IP packets are best effort service.

So when you're surfing the net or downloading, and traffic congestion comes in, you see a slow down in your webpage appearing or downloading. But after a delay, you still get it all. This doesn't bother most people, they just get used to it.

But with video data, a slow down is quite obvious. You get buffering, pixelation or dropped frames.

This generally bothers most people watching a video. So to get around this, video data must be given priority. Every 10 msec or so, it must get something.

ISP usually will try to accommodate priority for video data. That is, for their own video datastream.

For 3rd parties like Netflix or Amazon prime, either they negotiate with the ISP to provide such priority for video packets or they don't and rely on best effort service.

So the video quality may be there or not.

If you try to watch those free live stream, like world cup, or whatever, you get the picture.

• Praise 2

So when you're surfing the net or downloading, and traffic congestion comes in, you see a slow down in your webpage appearing or downloading. But after a delay, you still get it all. This doesn't bother most people, they just get used to it.

But with video data, a slow down is quite obvious. You get buffering, pixelation or dropped frames.

This generally bothers most people watching a video. So to get around this, video data must be given priority. Every 10 msec or so, it must get something.

ISP usually will try to accommodate priority for video data. That is, for their own video datastream.

For 3rd parties like Netflix or Amazon prime, either they negotiate with the ISP to provide such priority for video packets or they don't and rely on best effort service.

If you try to watch those free live stream, like world cup, or whatever, you get the picture.

I have no problem with HK and Korean drama free streaming

Turbocharged

The most important thing about loading video streaming is highly dependent on your source. Those free illegal live stream usually comes from dubious sources, that's why they are patchy and laggy. Those reputable paid streaming apps like Netflix have an expected level of service to meet, so their streaming servers NEED TO support that. I doubt so much as in how ISP actually throttle the speed lah.

• Praise 1

i am using apple tv ... sibei clear sibei smooth

also using iphone and ipad for screen mirroring

i am apple whore ... lol

Actually apple tv is just a box to watch netflix and other apps right? 

I don't own one so just wondering whether got anything else special. except maybe can watch movies off their library or what.

Edited by Lala81

Anyone tried this:

http://support.smartdnsproxy.com/customer/portal/articles/1339974-samsung-tv-setup-for-smart-dns-proxy

I know it works in Malaysia but wonder if someone has got it to work here.

Apparently if you change in the router rather than the individual TV then all devices will be set up.

Edited by Neutrino

For android users, just get a chrome cast II and bypass all the limitations of TV's inbuilt media interface and apps. 

As mentioned by some, the performance of the apps and streaming depends very much on the cpu and ram the TV model comes in. Also depends on how often the apps are updated by the TV manufacturer.

I cast/stream my movies and drama from my NAS using my synology apps. I also stream the Netflix Ultra HD to my TV with my 2011 Sharp TV with rudimentary media capability which I bypassed with my Chromecast. Every runs smooth and lag free in ultra HD quality.

Caveat: am using wired connection to my NAS and router. 

The most important thing about loading video streaming is highly dependent on your source. Those free illegal live stream usually comes from dubious sources, that's why they are patchy and laggy. Those reputable paid streaming apps like Netflix have an expected level of service to meet, so their streaming servers NEED TO support that. I doubt so much as in how ISP actually throttle the speed lah.

SH does control IP packets passing through its routers.

They have big enterprise class Cisco routers, capable of doing this.

Packets can be tagged to have higher priority, most often their own video packets.

In other words, within its own network, such packet prioritization can takes place.

However, once the packets leave its network to the internet gateway which is controlled by a 3rd party, they will not have such control.

Singtel will have such capability as well.

And ISPs does throttle speed. There are machines capable of dropping packets as you programmed them. Typical example is bittorrent.

It can consume half of all your available bandwidth. So what do you as an ISP ? You control them and put the brakes on them. It's like ERP in reverse.

And remember whatever you do on your end, your data packets passed through ISP switches and routers before it hits the vast internet. They basically own all your data packets, they can do whatever they like with it.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement