Advertisement Using Car Without Owner's Consent

for example if one was to have his car polished and the grooming center takes a photo of the owner's car and post it on their website, advertising their products or services, without the owner's consent, despite masking out the number plate, is that legal?

anyone encountered this issue before?

care to share...

↡ Advertisement

for example if one was to have his car polished and the grooming center takes a photo of the owner's car and post it on their website, advertising their products or services, without the owner's consent, despite masking out the number plate, is that legal?

care to share...

Whats the big deal? U scare your wife complain that you spent unecessary $$$ on your car? Scare she scold?

This is very commonly done by groomers. As long as they mask out the car number, nobody is complaining.

I do not know whether it is legal or not, but i do have alot less trivial issues to worry about everyday.

well, what if one owns a one of a kind car and let's say if he goes to a shop and buys a set of rims, which the shop owner uses the exotic car as a free advertising tool to promote his products.

if the owner do not allow that, can he request lawfully for the shop owner to remove the advert? or take legal actions against the person if he refuse to comply?

anything taken in public place with no special regulation will be legal

Taking pic and using it for a certain purpose are 2 diff things, dun confuse the 2 issues.

Twincharged

well, what if one owns a one of a kind car and let's say if he goes to a shop and buys a set of rims, which the shop owner uses the exotic car as a free advertising tool to promote his products.

if the owner do not allow that, can he request lawfully for the shop owner to remove the advert? or take legal actions against the person if he refuse to comply?

I think for pictures of people, they need to have a model release form before they can use it for commercial purposes. For cars or other property I never heard of any kind of form like that before. So I guess if you allowed him to take, it means that he can use it.

Edited by Nzy

Once i rent a exotic sports coupe car for wedding...some family with kids went over n take picture, they can do whatever they want with the pic, upload to FB, flickr, as long as it is for non-profit n non commercial use its ok.

From what i knw If the picture is used for commercial purposes in any way to increase their profit, then you have a right to request them to take it down...if they still dont want take it down then you can engage a lawyer

Edited by Ooosh

If the service is good, I don't see why we can't support their business a little...I mean I am always appreciative of good service whether it is a $500 oil change or just a $10 packet of candy given out for free at the dealer...

Taking pic and using it for a certain purpose are 2 diff things, dun confuse the 2 issues.

that's why I mentioned special regulations. depending on the usage. there's a lot of different laws covering different things.

Edited by Dafansu

care to share...

You should be happy cos they have have spent a lot of effort on your car to use in their adverts... cheers !

↡ Advertisement