MOM 'Making Things Better' for Foreign Workers

Gee

Turbocharged

Can email all the list main con SGX and ask who is the culprit?

If not, can email the listed developers on SGX?

All the CSR bulls**te...

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Wow, I think it's better for them to have one good, fresh meal a day, rather than 3 meals of the catered stuff served to them.

I understand employers want to cut costs, but surely if they pool the amount they spend on the 2 or 3 lousy meals per day and combine it into one good meal for their worker, even this is a better solution.

The workers are really being conned. Wonder how much they are being charged for such meal as shown in the article. Even for $2 they can get better stuff and fresher too.

Edited by Sosaria

Last time I come across some worker in the restaurant, the restaurant provide meal to the foreign workers and they are allowed to take what they want to eat (like buffet), but every time I see them take mainly white rice, pile up like mount Fiji but very little meat or veg. Maybe they need carbo for the job and other stuff may cause uncomfortable stomach.

Wow, I think it's better for them to have one good, fresh meal a day, rather than 3 meals of the catered stuff served to them.

I understand employers want to cut costs, but surely if they pool the amount they spend on the 2 or 3 lousy meals per day and combine it into one good meal for their worker, even this is a better solution.

The workers are really being conned. Wonder how much they are being charged for such meal as shown in the article. Even for $2 they can get better stuff and fresher too.

Is dinner also provided free in the dormitory?

Seen it for myself in those FW dorm at Murai farmway back in 2009... Very poor thing. Dunno what they cook cause those meat alrd chop and de-skin and I suspect its some big lizard/ rodent/ stray cat/ dogs from looking at the animal claw/ feet that they cook.

For BF and lunch, usually got caterer providing them food, cause they do not have time to prepare themself, The food is worst than what we feed to our dog.... and usually turn bad by noon (imagine curry packed with rice in paperbag for more than 8 hrs). They have no choice but to eat cause those food are bought using their hard earn money.

I remember back in early 90s.. where there were plenty of Thai worker get food poisoning eating rats. Its reported in the news and 20yrs down the road, same thing happen in SG... haiz.

• Praise 2

Pity those bangla, work so hard about 12 hrs per day yet has little rest.

Their container dormitories will be very cold at night and very hot in the day.

Their pay so little yet contribution so much.

At least give them proper meal

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Being mechanic in car workshop here not very exciting, IMHO.

Market is limited, and the kinds of mods that an owner can do to his cars here are heavily regulated by LTA.

So what kind of learning and what range of jobs can a car mechanic here do?? Change oil and other routine servicing only??

If the industry here was as vibrant and liberal concerning mods and allowing creativity such as what we see in customization workshops overseas... I think the mechanic will be a more respected profession, recognized as having higher level of skills, and draw bigger bucks! (something like a well-known architect, or fashion designer)

(edited)

each time i read this kind of news ... i found MOM is sibei toothless tiger

the world class million dollar condo is built on foreign worker tear and blood ?

KNN ... is there criminal offense on these heartless and ruthless companies, developer, main con, sub con?

simply fine and stop work order? who cares?

their usual tactic is delay FW pay and put them in shithole and worse is just declare bankrupt and leave the workers rot

disgusted and disgrace .... pui!

post-7984-0-45954100-1433248228_thumb.png

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 4

each time i read this kind of news ... i found MOM is sibei toothless tiger

the world class million dollar condo is built on foreign worker tear and blood ?

KNN ... is there criminal offense on these heartless and ruthless companies, developer, main con, sub con?

simply fine and stop work order? who cares?

their usual tactic is delay FW pay and put them in shithole and worse is just declare bankrupt and leave the workers rot

disgusted and disgrace .... pui!

plight of many such FWs gone untold....

• Praise 1

(edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5PAGSQoJI

MOM just woke up from sleep ...

昨暝的一陣大雨 打醒我的夢

打醒我一場好夢
雨呀雨呀叫你不通
你偏偏打醒我的夢

因為彼個人 這久無來給我夢
思思念念 思思念念 心愛彼個人
心愛彼個人 已經愛著別人
只有惦在 只有惦在 夢中才是我的人
為何你愛著別人

Edited by Kangadrool

I believe these workers should be given proper food. However, come to think of it, with our cost of living don't think much can be done. I don't know how much the workers pay for their catered food. I guess it could be pretty cheap. If you pay low price, of course you will get food for that price. How to get proper food, if workers pay so little for their food. Pay more, workers may not be able to afford to. Most want to skimp and sent more money back instead. So pass the cost to who ? Employers ? If this really work out, the cost will be pass to the consumers and that means us paying more.

(edited)

a $1M pigeon hole ... how much had gone to

1. land sale

2. tax

3. developer

4. property agent

5. lawyer

6. bank

7. main con

8. sub con

9. agency that bring in the workers

workers are at the bottom of the food chain ... they make a living from the leftover vege and scratch the bones for the meat ...

again and again we read news how workers were exploited with late payment, owe salary, inhuman living condition, obscene commissions they have to pay to agent to get here, the first 2 years working actually earn nothing except for pay back loan and send some money home, etc

those few success stories who made it ... must have worked in spore for > 5 years ... and how many of them?

I believe these workers should be given proper food. However, come to think of it, with our cost of living don't think much can be done. I don't know how much the workers pay for their catered food. I guess it could be pretty cheap. If you pay low price, of course you will get food for that price. How to get proper food, if workers pay so little for their food. Pay more, workers may not be able to afford to. Most want to skimp and sent more money back instead. So pass the cost to who ? Employers ? If this really work out, the cost will be pass to the consumers and that means us paying more.

Edited by Wt_know

a $1M pigeon hole ... how much had gone to

1. land sale

2. tax

3. developer

4. property agent

5. lawyer

6. bank

7. main con

8. sub con

9. agency that bring in the workers

workers are at the bottom of the food chain ... they make a living from the leftover vege and scratch the bones for the meat ...

again and again we read news how workers were exploited with late payment, owe salary, inhuman living condition, obscene commissions they have to pay to agent to get here, the first 2 years working actually earn nothing except for pay back loan and send some money home, etc

those few success stories who made it ... must have worked in spore for > 5 years ... and how many of them?

Labour is cheap. Consumers at the other gets it too. However, the other end is getting big fat profit. Sad that we have created a very self-centred environment. People work laboriously underpaid, but people work minimum paid more. This is how things moved. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3