• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
116 replies to this topic | 45 praises

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Sugar
  • Sugar
    Banned

I am thinking of getting a hybrid car.

I just want to find out if it is common for the battery to give problems after a few years.

Now that hybrid is no longer new in the market, anyone got any feedback?

I hope it is not like handphone battery, after few years, battery beomes weak...

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I just want to find out if it is common for the battery to give problems after a few years.

I hope it is not like handphone battery, after few years, battery beomes weak...

Maybe you will want to do a search on google, there are plenty of Hybrid cars all over the world being use as Taxi which have clocked over 500k km within years and no difference in FC from the first day.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Leafable
  • Leafable
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Own 2 before. Gen 2 & Gen 3 Prius. Best cars I've ever owned. Since 2006 these 2 cars don't give even a single problem. Toyota is the king of Hybrid. I've own Insight before and its crap.

Don't worry about the batteries. They will last very long, as long as you don't park it under the sun constantly.

Just about to buy a PI Prius Plug-in. This is the one you need to get (unless you live in HDB nowhere to charge it).

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Sugar
  • Sugar
    Banned

Thanks for the replies.

Quite often i have to pick up my kids from classes etc...so i will always be waiting in the car park with the engine on (sometimes up to 30min) while waiting for them.

Will this be a problem?

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Leafable
  • Leafable
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Nope. Ditto get the plug-in model. It can move A to B without using a single drop of petrol as long as you don't floor it or travel above 80kpm. A full 90mins charge can last for about 26km. You can waiting for you little angels for 30min without using a single drop of petrol.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Own 2 before. Gen 2 & Gen 3 Prius. Best cars I've ever owned. Since 2006 these 2 cars don't give even a single problem. Toyota is the king of Hybrid. I've own Insight before and its crap.

Don't worry about the batteries. They will last very long, as long as you don't park it under the sun constantly.

Just about to buy a PI Prius Plug-in. This is the one you need to get (unless you live in HDB nowhere to charge it).

Didnt know hybrid cars not good to park under the sun as the battery might not last long. blink.gif But how often do we have shelter carpark at our workplace, usually is park under the sun?!
When you arise in the morning think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive, to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

The Prius Plug-in able to run 230VAC?

It does have a gas tank as well or am I wrong?

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Thanks for the replies.

Quite often i have to pick up my kids from classes etc...so i will always be waiting in the car park with the engine on (sometimes up to 30min) while waiting for them.

Will this be a problem?

Should not be a problem, last time when I drove a Matrix, I will always shut the engine off and wait outside the car with sweat, now I always wait in the car with aircon and radio, the best part of Prius is it only charges the battery every 5 mins while I'm waiting in the car.

A wait for 30 mins with everything on will only cause the ICE to run about 6 to 7 times per min. After a wait of 30 mins, I'm still able to achieve 22km/l.

Anyway battery will be the last thing to worry if you buy from BM, they giving 10 years batt warranty.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Didnt know hybrid cars not good to park under the sun as the battery might not last long. blink.gif But how often do we have shelter carpark at our workplace, usually is park under the sun?!

My car most of the time don't sun tan sunny.gif

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Leafable
  • Leafable
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

If you put any batteries under the sun for a while they will definitely diminished very quickly.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Taipan49
  • Taipan49
    5th Gear
    Author Image

If you put any batteries under the sun for a while they will definitely diminished very quickly.

Same with cold weather, but, we don't have that problem at all in Singapore.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Leafable
  • Leafable
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

The Prius Plug-in able to run 230VAC?

It does have a gas tank as well or am I wrong?

Yes. Its just like your Iphone with a main socket. Just plug it in and take 90mins to fully charge.

Yeap its got a 45litre petrol tank to support the 1.8 litre Atkinson.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Yes. Its just like your Iphone with a main socket. Just plug it in and take 90mins to fully charge.

Yeap its got a 45litre petrol tank to support the 1.8 litre Atkinson.

Cool, but the thing is need a power socket which only if you stay landed or the place where you park comes with the power socket...

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Leafable
  • Leafable
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Cool, but the thing is need a power socket which only if you stay landed or the place where you park comes with the power socket...

Its not for everyone in Singapore. I'm getting it because we've got plug in the MSCP. You just need to speak to your management.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

By the way, there's a 2nd hand one on sale now at Ubi BM, gold colour, low mileage, quite cheap given that it's only 1 year old and the current price for brand new is sky high, the only thing is the colour super orbiang IMO.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Wolf2801
  • Wolf2801
    1st Gear
    Author Image

come down for the green/hybrid meet up on December 29 at Kallang Leisure Park, Car Park F at 2PM.

If it rains at/after 1pm... meetup auto cancel.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

SGCMniceguy
  • SGCMniceguy
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Went to genting highland with friends in hybrid C toyota...a bit weak when going uphill...but save fuel...most of the time you will see cars passing by fast on karak highway..

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Went to genting highland with friends in hybrid C toyota...a bit weak when going uphill...but save fuel...most of the time you will see cars passing by fast on karak highway..

It's the driver not the car I believe, go Lowyat forum and look at their prius c forum, most of them drive over 150 to 170. Anyway, the main purpose of the car is to save fuel, not for power.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Unfazed
  • Premium member
    Unfazed
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks for the replies.

Will this be a problem?

While many r encouraging to go green, here u r telling us that u left ur engine on for 30 mins waiting for kids?! blink.gif U cant be more wastefully idiotic...totally oblivious of wats happening ard u. Big frogs not even knowing they r in shallow wells..

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Rezorn86
  • Premium member
    Rezorn86
    5th Gear
    Author Image

my uncle's having a infiniti m hybrid n most of the time have to rest under the sun, till now not issue.
The Stig's Singapore Cousin!!
I Love Lada!!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

While many r encouraging to go green, here u r telling us that u left ur engine on for 30 mins waiting for kids?! blink.gif U cant be more wastefully idiotic...totally oblivious of wats happening ard u. Big frogs not even knowing they r in shallow wells..

Don't be so harsh lah, at least he's looking at Hybrid so that when car is left on for 30 mins, not much fuel will be burn, better than conventional cars.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Mockngbrd
  • Mockngbrd
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

90mins for full charge? not bad le
Garage36.com

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Audi655
  • Audi655
    1st Gear
    Author Image

you are buy hybrid to save the environment or FC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Friendstar
  • Friendstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Guys ......

I know there are arguments on 10 years warranty etc

Battery can last a long time blah blah.

The truth is..... battery life is a genuine everyday problem. Heat kills the battery. Charging and recharging also. No two ways about it. If any genius can counter that, u wont have battery problem in iphone or ipad.

But unlike phones, the worsening state of a battery in a hybrid vehicle is not so drastically felt.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

Friendstar
  • Friendstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Basically. The day u drive out ur hybrid, u will .... in a very gradual fashion get a worsening battery.

My feel is.... hybrid is perfect for the first 5 years.

Just like a handphone battery is good for first 1 year

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

engine off=no aircon.

u like to wait in the heat? rolleyes.gif

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

Wormvirus
  • Wormvirus
    Banned

merc has start stop so aircon will off at traffic stop as with engine & is totally acceptable in sg hot sun, maybe 20years later when future bb car get free start stop then bb owners get to appreciate new tech

Edited by Wormvirus, 21 December 2012 - 01:41 AM.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Leafable
  • Leafable
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

merc has start stop so aircon will off at traffic stop as with engine & is totally acceptable in sg hot sun, maybe 20years later when future bb car get free start stop then bb owners get to appreciate new tech

Blimey! Really? Wow amazing. My 2006 Prius can do that as well and the aircon stay blowing even the engine stop.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

TMR11
  • TMR11
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I bought Hybrid for its sheer power & efficiency ! happy.gif

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Paddie
  • Paddie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I have to agree. Please park the car, switch off the engine and go wait under the shade somewhere.

And even if a plug-in hybrid can be driven for a certain distance without using fuel, isn't fuel used to produce the electricity needed to charge the car? It may be cleaner, but it's not a 100% saint.

Edited by Paddie, 21 December 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: Hybrid, cars, problems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users