How to check shock absorber need 2 change ?

Meanmachine

Hi Guys,

My car has some ' cloak claok ' sounds on turning corner, how to know its time to change.

THx

Abnormal sound when going over uneven road or hump, hardness, mileage of the usage, any leak.

my last servicing i changed the front absorber... i see the technician press one side front of my car up and down then guage.

told me one of my side is jammed so need to replace.

Hi Guys,

My car has some ' cloak claok ' sounds on turning corner, how to know its time to change.

THx

Get 2 fat char bo sit behind n drive over hump. If got croak croak sound prob bushing or shocks going to die.

Just make sure e 2 fat gers dun make that croak croak sound when ty jiggle about.

A good guide is change every 70-80k km. About e same as when u change yr tires.

Get 2 fat char bo sit behind n drive over hump. If got croak croak sound prob bushing or shocks going to die.

Just make sure e 2 fat gers dun make that croak croak sound when ty jiggle about.

A good guide is change every 70-80k km. About e same as when u change yr tires.

mine 90+k km & 6.5years liao still good lei. checked before no leak, no jumping when press down n let go, no croak croak sound with going hump.

mine 90+k km & 6.5years liao still good lei. checked before no leak, no jumping when press down n let go, no croak croak sound with going hump.

Lifespan also depends on many things like how u drive or if car always fully loaded or always travel bumpy roads.

As i said 70-80k km is rough guide. Same as tires.

Some pple wil just change tires n shocks at same time.

If lets say you go over a hump and your car feels bouncy instead of a cushioning effect, its a sign you need to change tires..

Not only going over a hump, if you feel that the ride is bouncy even on straight road, then maybe the absorber kaput.

i m going to change mine jus today on 8/1/2013......the front suspension according to my regular shop the mechanic told me very stiff liao....driving toyota

sienta.......so i will resume to original instead of brands like KYB (a fzd change once after like 2 years only told me got funny sound in front)....total cost all

fours abt SGD650 (inclusive labour)......at the same time change also the EO/filter/air con filter/spark plugs.

Hi guys,

sorry to be a thread digger, dig up a 2012 thread.

I having some issues with my front right suspension.

When going over humps, will have "WENG WENG" sound.

However, if i go over slowly, there will be no sound.

and also, few weeks back, my tyre puncture, so backside itchy.

change to a 17" tyre. And now i have a problem.

If there is too much load at the back, the suspension will sink down until it touches the tyre.

Btw my car is a 09 Avante. Mileage about 113000+.

Should i change suspension or how can i resolve the problems?

Please advise.

TYVM.

Supercharged

Suspension lifespan is usually 5-7yrs, but also dependent on road conditions and driving style.

For mine, both cars are old, 13&7, still OK leh..

But I did changed my suspension for the 7yrs old car during 6th yr, Tyre hitting fender, Same problem as yours.

Despite changed, also not much of the use. The only solution is smaller tyre

Suspension lifespan is usually 5-7yrs, but also dependent on road conditions and driving style.

For mine, both cars are old, 13&7, still OK leh..

But I did changed my suspension for the 7yrs old car during 6th yr, Tyre hitting fender, Same problem as yours.

Despite changed, also not much of the use. The only solution is smaller tyre

AHHHHHH!!!!

How about a stiffer springs? or shock absorbers or coilovers?

Even after reading, i still don't get it.

In general, suspension life span ranges from 50,000km to 60,000km. Anything above this is a bonus.

It also depends a lot on how one drives - hard stopping, sharp cornering, etc. After this distance, its effectiveness on planting and ensuring the tyres to the road surface depends.

The suspension system job is to make the tyres have full contact with the ground surface so that it can have effective braking and stopping. Of course it does comes with the damping over uneven road surface. Usually, we only notice this difference in absorber effects when we feel the car is not so steady on the road like during cornering or when we hit some uneven terrain. Or we notice a leak, then we decide to change.

Shock effectiveness or deterioration could be compared to someone we see in the office who is getting heavier in weight but we could not notice because we see that person everyday. But had we see the person once a year, we would have notice the weight change immediately. Shocks are like this example, we sit on the car daily. As it deteriorate, we could not detect the difference as we conditioned ourselves to this setup. But if a friend who knows a bit about suspension or feel who sits in your car may notice the difference.

In general, suspension life span ranges from 50,000km to 60,000km. Anything above this is a bonus.

It also depends a lot on how one drives - hard stopping, sharp cornering, etc. After this distance, its effectiveness on planting and ensuring the tyres to the road surface depends.

The suspension system job is to make the tyres have full contact with the ground surface so that it can have effective braking and stopping. Of course it does comes with the damping over uneven road surface. Usually, we only notice this difference in absorber effects when we feel the car is not so steady on the road like during cornering or when we hit some uneven terrain. Or we notice a leak, then we decide to change.

Shock effectiveness or deterioration could be compared to someone we see in the office who is getting heavier in weight but we could not notice because we see that person everyday. But had we see the person once a year, we would have notice the weight change immediately. Shocks are like this example, we sit on the car daily. As it deteriorate, we could not detect the difference as we conditioned ourselves to this setup. But if a friend who knows a bit about suspension or feel who sits in your car may notice the difference.

Really?

Wah... my Honda must be very solid... 100k already and the suspension is still very good. [grin]

100000km, I am quite sure if you take it out you can press it down easily. if you have time, look at the shocks or touch your shocks (reach the front part by slipping your hands above the tyres space between the arches)and see if there are oil along the shaft. as for the rear you could just shine a light from your back underneath your car. [:)]