How to monitor ATF temp?

Kazuo

Do people really install gauge for ATF?

dont think many will do it. is it very useful to monitor? i would rather people spend it on voltage gauges which is more useful.

Neutral Newbie

Save that money and invest in ATF cooler, much better investment!

That's my plan.

But without the before and after data, how do you know how good is the investment?

That's my plan.

But without the before and after data, how do you know how good is the investment?

Personally, i havent installed any gauges to monitor the temperature of the ATF.

My mech just did a simple test after installing the ATF cooler for me, he started the engine and rev the engine which then made the ATF flowed into the cooler. He told me to put my hand onto the cooler and it felt really hot meaning the ATF flowing through it is at a high temperature.

After which, he rev the engine till the radiator fan kicked in and started to suck in cool air, the ATF cooler instantly cooled and temperature dropped significantly which also means the ATF in the cooler must have cooled and flowed back into the gearbox.

Assuming we drive our car and the ATF cooler is cooled by the air that we are driving against the direction, it would have cooled the ATF compared cooling the ATF via the radiator.

It was a simple test, but the least my mech made me understood how ATF cooler works.

Hence i am convinced that the ATF in the gearbox is surely operating at a lower temperature after the installation of an ATF cooler.

Most AT cars have the ATF from the gearbox flowed into the radiator but only a couple of rows of fins at the bottom of the radiator but just feel that it is not enough hence gotten an ATF cooler sometime ago.

Been up and down NSHW and no issue yet, there isn't any significant performance improvement but for the peace of mind, why not? Overhaul of gearbox surely will cost at least 10 times more expensive than to install ATF cooler.

Just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me if you don't believe.

i have an upgraded atf cooler and senor to monitor the atf temp. this is useful on nshw if i push the car hard on slopes as the gauge shows if the atf temp climb to 120degC or higher which means i'd better ease off to give the gear box / atf a rest. Its part of my effort to look after the gearbox as i intend to keep my car for many more years

for those who track their cars, a atf temp gauge is also useful as usually after 5-6 laps, it shoots up to 120degC or there about.

That's my plan.

do both ie cooler+temp gauge coz the gauge will tell us if the cooler is coping well or not while on the road especially upcounrty drive on hill climbs or high speed runs (flat ground, normal speeds are ok), overheated atf can be harmful in the long run [:)]

i have an upgraded atf cooler and senor to monitor the atf temp. this is useful on nshw if i push the car hard on slopes as the gauge shows if the atf temp climb to 120degC or higher which means i'd better ease off to give the gear box / atf a rest. Its part of my effort to look after the gearbox as i intend to keep my car for many more years

for those who track their cars, a atf temp gauge is also useful as usually after 5-6 laps, it shoots up to 120degC or there about.

Nice set up bro! I agree with an upgraded ATF cooler of cos if there's an additional temp gauge will be best but if pocket not deep enough plus i dont want any gauges on my dashboard la :)

Small car, too many gauges makes people think i am some kinda ricer then how?

Also cannot out run anyone..

Anyways my first intention was to get an oil cooler and ATF cooler at the same time.

Just that the labour fee and effort to install the oil cooler is really too much la..

↡ Advertisement