Don't forget about your spare tyre

Donut

Today i got an itching feeling to pump my spare Tyre. The car was bought new 5 years, and i never touch the spare Tyre. Who does anyway?

Took out everything from the boot, lift up the cover and took a look at the spare. Press the rubber, it's damm soft. haul out the entire Tyre and start pumping. The machine read just 40 kpa when i inserted the nozzle into the valve! Imagine i got a Tyre puncture and i had to use the spare Tyre. No way i can drive with a 40 kpa Tyre......

So don't forget your spare, especially you go into msia frequently........

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Today i got an itching feeling to pump my spare Tyre. The car was bought new 5 years, and i never touch the spare Tyre. Who does anyway?

Took out everything from the boot, lift up the cover and took a look at the spare. Press the rubber, it's damm soft. haul out the entire Tyre and start pumping. The machine read just 40 kpa when i inserted the nozzle into the valve! Imagine i got a Tyre puncture and i had to use the spare Tyre. No way i can drive with a 40 kpa Tyre......

Yep. Always make it a point to pump the spare tire whenever I pump the other tires. Only when I rushing then don't pump the spare.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Same here, a few months back while changing new tyres time, I asked the tyre shop boss to check my spare. His worker took it out and found there was totally no air inside! :o

I guess the spare tyre is often neglected because it is not easy to access to it, especially those in the boot.

From now onwards I will make it a point to pump the spare whenever I am doing servicing or doing tyre rotation...

• Praise 1

My car came with full size matching spare wheel and I include the spare wheel in tire rotation.

The spare tire always properly inflated.

5TireRotation.jpg

• Praise 1

sorry to hijack TS thread, no power to post new topic.

Anyone got recommendations to those tyres workshop that comply to your request and swap the pair of rear tyres to the front, vice versa?

Of coz i know i have to pay for a bit of labor fee, but can share how much it is?

• Praise 1

Anyone got recommendations to those tyres workshop that comply to your request and swap the pair of rear tyres to the front, vice versa?

Of coz i know i have to pay for a bit of labor fee, but can share how much it is?

3 yrs ago, I did it at a petrol kiosk, the guys asked for $20, luckily b4 tat my friend told me he did it for $10, so I neg down to $10. tat was 3 yrs ago and only rotation..

last yr, I did rotation + balancing, cos $18, this one no escape, cos balancing really more work.

Now, I go back to the tyre shop that I bought the tyre from, and it is free rotation till tyre botak, but balancing must pay.. extra...

If you do rotation only, u can try asking your service mechanic to do it also, maybe little charge or even free.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Can I ask what pressure to set when pumping air into the spare tyre in the boot? Is it same as the other tyres at 220 psi? Thanks in advance!

• Praise 1

Most shop should be able to do it, alternatively, you can do it yourself. You just need a car jack, which you should really have. Practice for in case you need to use spare tires.

Don't let others say we Singaporeans are totally hopeless in many basic tasks.

Edited by Kiadaw

Can I ask what pressure to set when pumping air into the spare tyre in the boot? Is it same as the other tyres at 220 psi? Thanks in advance!

Use common sense lah.

A tyre not in use looses air faster than fours that been used daily.

A spare tyre of course needs to pump higher pressure for "buffer" unless you enjoy removing and pumping every week. If pong jack pong jack still many many air inside, can just release some. But, if too little, you need big strong lung to blow it up. [laugh]

A space saver tyre requires much higher pressure than a full size spare.

Read instructions.

• Praise 1

Yup, spare tyre looses air faster. Mine was last pumped 1/2 year ago. From 40 psi, it dropped to 20 psi when I pumped 2 days ago.

Thanks buddy, you remind me the most important thing about my car,it's been 2 months i didn't check my spare tyre!! I will definitely check it today!

Edited by HaroldSync
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1