Paid photographer cannot produce photos

Ysc3

Read my comme <snip> oto is probably a better photo on this forum...

I guess you're still too caught up on the basics to understand. To draw an analogy, you're just learning the basics of ABC, writing in blocky letters and you're saying a calligraphist is writing his alphabets wrong because he's using a cursive style.

Emotional bond is important to a client. He's paying the money. He wants shots that he wants to see, not shots that you want to take. Working photographers will learn that very quickly.

We can argue on and on, but if Vhtfhwlego likes the photographs, then there's no argument. Are you telling him that he should un-like his photographs now, or he has a problem appreciating photographs in "your" way?

↡ Advertisement

like that pay 4K? i think i can shoot better with my S3 leh.

In any case, there is a portable hdd device where you can upload your SD card photos to the hard drive for backup purposes. i have seen many professional AD photographer to it during their small break to prevent any corruption etc.

this, i called them professional!

thats true, some even bring along their laptops.

I'm not a pro photog. Just a noob who uses a pocket size point and shoot camera.

My qns is: When the photog takes a pic, he will usually switch to view mode to do a quick glance on the pic he has taken. Unless he didn't do that at all for the whole session, otherwise, he would have known something is wrong with the card right?

I'm not a computer engineer, but most of these errors are a corruption of the file archiving system rather than the failure to save the data of the individual photos.

Thus it's usually easier to "save" information from a corrupted disk if it's located in the root folder. The more folders there are, the more possibility of corruption.

So, better to store your photos in C:\Photos rather than under my pictures in windows.

memory card is the same like any storage devices. it has write re-writable lifespan.

it will age and eventually fail on you. i believed the memory card used has already aged and therefore failed on that important day.

I guess you're still too caught up on the basics to understand. To draw an analogy, you're just learning the basics of ABC, writing in blocky letters and you're saying a calligraphist is writing his alphabets wrong because he's using a cursive style.

Emotional bond is important to a client. He's paying the money. He wants shots that he wants to see, not shots that you want to take. Working photographers will learn that very quickly.

We can argue on and on, but if Vhtfhwlego likes the photographs, then there's no argument. Are you telling him that he should un-like his photographs now, or he has a problem appreciating photographs in "your" way?

Wow, you sound so pro, just like a small handful of some high charging pros that cannot even get their exposure right in an engagement wedding. Then coming out to suan those newbie charging less...only to be humilated when people really compare their portfolio.

I am not too caught up on the basics. If I was, I would have told you to never violate the rule of third. I would have asked you to take out a bloody grey card and get the w/b right. On the other hand, you seem to be ignoring all the basics. Taking your example of abc vs calligraphy. No matter how curvy his style maybe, the calligraphist would have involved some basic skills in there, although I would think that skill set and basics required for writing abc is very different from calligraphy. Taking a good photo is like writing nice caligraphy. Taking a photo without even getting the proper exposure or focus is like splashing ink directly on the paper, then calling it calligraphy of cursive writing. You get what I mean?

As a side note, when I was a kid, I once went to a calligraphy competiiton. One guy came late, in fact he came 10 mins before submission was due. Calmly, he laid his paper, took out his tools and started writing. People started gathering around him, but he was oblivious to the surrounding. Of course his work was fantastic and was selected for award. IMO, that is a good example of getting the basics right, then mastering your own style. Of course, I don't mean the style of coming 10 mins before submission...

It is ok to violate the norm and deviate from standard, but do it only when it was planned and intended. Just like it is ok to underexpose or overexpose. It is ok to have slanted vertical lines. It is ok to have the subject any where in the frame. It is ok to have the nose in focus, but not the eyes. However, only do it when it was planned and intended. Do it only when you think it will make the viewer a happier person. Do it only if you think you will not be wasting the viewers few seconds when he looks at that photo.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from with emotional bond. However, I also hope that you will understand that the emotional bond could be elevated to a higher level if the photograph was better taken.

I am not saying that he should un-like the photos, but just simply he may like the photos, but those are not so well taken photos. Period.

Edited by Zyklon

Can u all discuss per hour rate instead?

4k or 10k ?

If engaged 100 hrs, who knows right?

For those pictures,

$50/hr standard i say

Wow, you sound so pro, just like a small handful of some high charging pros that cannot even get their exposure right in an engagement wedding. Then coming out to suan those newbie charging less...only to be humilated when people really compare their portfolio.

I am not too caught up on the basics. If I was, I would have told you to never violate the rule of third. I would have asked you to take out a bloody grey card and get the w/b right. On the other hand, you seem to be ignoring all the basics. Taking your example of abc vs calligraphy. No matter how curvy his style maybe, the calligraphist would have involved some basic skills in there, although I would think that skill set and basics required for writing abc is very different from calligraphy. Taking a good photo is like writing nice caligraphy. Taking a photo without even getting the proper exposure or focus is like splashing ink directly on the paper, then calling it calligraphy of cursive writing. You get what I mean?

As a side note, when I was a kid, I once went to a calligraphy competiiton. One guy came late, in fact he came 10 mins before submission was due. Calmly, he laid his paper, took out his tools and started writing. People started gathering around him, but he was oblivious to the surrounding. Of course his work was fantastic and was selected for award. IMO, that is a good example of getting the basics right, then mastering your own style. Of course, I don't mean the style of coming 10 mins before submission...

It is ok to violate the norm and deviate from standard, but do it only when it was planned and intended. Just like it is ok to underexpose or overexpose. It is ok to have slanted vertical lines. It is ok to have the subject any where in the frame. It is ok to have the nose in focus, but not the eyes. However, only do it when it was planned and intended. Do it only when you think it will make the viewer a happier person. Do it only if you think you will not be wasting the viewers few seconds when he looks at that photo.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from with emotional bond. However, I also hope that you will understand that the emotional bond could be elevated to a higher level if the photograph was better taken.

I am not saying that he should un-like the photos, but just simply he may like the photos, but those are not so well taken photos. Period.

clap clap clap [thumbsup]

that's because light is the photographer's best friend. it's the fundamental of photography. And natural light is the best of the best friend. With sufficient natural light, any thing taken will turn out to be nice.

The challenge is when the place doesn;t have enough natural or artificial light. This is where you can seperate the real pros from the amatures and wanna-be

Time for the strobists to come out!!! :D

[laugh][laugh] . How many flash you have now?

3, all nissin bec I heard yongnuo is not reliable, simi zoom motor up lorlee, simi beh fire :blink::wacko:

But I use yongnuo trigger to remotely fire them off, so far so good

But moi far far from being strobist bec really not easy to get the correct amt of light on exactly where you want it and the exact amt of no light on places you don't want light to be [:p]

I am so glad I didn't pump marnie into getting better body, so glad I bought the flashes and triggers, now no flash, camera no come out :D

Nope. I paid very much lesser.

I like these random shots so just post to see comments.

The pictures are actually in focus but the DOF is very shallow and can see the photographer is trying to give "artistic" shots.

agree that composition can be improved and exposure can be improved too..

is this guy a full time wedding photographer?

In my opinion, most "professional" photographers use cheap lenses to take photos and use pro-sumer line up of cameras which have a crop factor of 1.5 to 1.6 instead of a full frame camera. The reason for this is cos they need the camera to earn money for them so they attempt to keep costs as low as possible. But this results in pictures which may be considered substandard by true professional standard. The most common problem with most "professional" photographers is that they do not use a good wide angle lens to capture a group shot, this can result in barrel distortion at the sides of the picture where people become "fatter". Most of these poseurs who claim that they're professional can't even afford a full frame DSLR.

you are contradicting yourself. if those people are using a body with a smaller crop factor, this means that no matter what, the pixel grains of the photo sensor will still be receiving light that passes through the centre and near the centre of the lenses. With crop factor, barrel distortion is actually less of a problem, thats my point. Of course, the lens itself is another variable because a good lens with better light refraction property will reduce barrel distortion and optical aberration in general.

Just want to correct the point on crop factor. Lens distortion and optical imperfection is minimal near the optical centre of the lens hence cheaper cameras e.g. point and shoots can do with substandard (relatively speaking) lens since they have a rather high crop factor.

<snip>

Maybe I'm a pro, and maybe I'm not. I too have my beef with photography "directors" who tell me what to do with my camera, or what I should or should not be doing. How well I do, I don't think I need to prove too much. In the past few years, with the advent of affordable DSLRs, the industry has seen a lot of "know a bit but think they know a lot" freelancers appear. One person practically insisted I should not be direct-flashing my subjects and asked where my bounce card was!

All I will say is, the actual business of aiming the camera, spinning the dials and pressing the shutter release is only a small percentage of the business. I find this photo quite accurate:

photo-graph-swiss-miss-seth-godin-chase-jarvis.jpeg

Just remember that how much time and work the photographer puts in is generally in proportion to how much he is being paid. In any case, I am glad you moderated your "very bad photos", which I find rather unpolite, to just saying "not so well taken".

you are contradicting yourself. if those people are using a body with a smaller crop factor, this means that no matter what, the pixel grains of the photo sensor will still be receiving light that passes through the centre and near the centre of the lenses. With crop factor, barrel distortion is actually less of a problem, thats my point. Of course, the lens itself is another variable because a good lens with better light refraction property will reduce barrel distortion and optical aberration in general.

Just want to correct the point on crop factor. Lens distortion and optical imperfection is minimal near the optical centre of the lens hence cheaper cameras e.g. point and shoots can do with substandard (relatively speaking) lens since they have a rather high crop factor.

[thumbsup]

alot of people dont understand what is crop factor between a full framed camera and a non full framed camera and how prime lens affects this as well.

Supercharged

3, all nissin bec I heard yongnuo is not reliable, simi zoom motor up lorlee, simi beh fire :blink::wacko:

But I use yongnuo trigger to remotely fire them off, so far so good

But moi far far from being strobist bec really not easy to get the correct amt of light on exactly where you want it and the exact amt of no light on places you don't want light to be [:p]

I am so glad I didn't pump marnie into getting better body, so glad I bought the flashes and triggers, now no flash, camera no come out :D

[laugh] . don't pin too much hope on 3rd party brands. Most have its own problems.

Body is big investment. take it easy.

Honestly, hope you don't feel offended, very bad photos...all not sharp(maybe from the compression?). 2,3,4, out of focus. 2,3,5 might have been better if fill in flash was used. Exposure can be improved. Composition also can be much improved. Then again, me is just noob in photography nia...

I dont say very bad photos as I didnt pay anything for it.

:D