A Short Delightful Story about Filial Piety

Scion

Very touching story, thought I'd try to give a rough translation. Didn't check for spelling or grammatical errors, just hope I captured the gist of it.

The daughter-in-law said, "When I make it less salty, you complain that it's not tasty enough. Now that I made it more salty, you won't eat it. Just what do you want?)

When the old lady saw her son come back, she started to eat the food without saying anything.

She stared at her husband angrily.

He tried one mouthful and spat it out. "Didn't I tell you Mother is ill? Her food mustn't be too salty!"

"Fine! She's your mother! You cook for her!"

The daughter-in-law stormed out and went to her room. The son could only sigh helplessly. "Mother, don't eat it. I'll cook some noodles for you."

The mother said, "Do you have something you want to tell me? Tell me. Don't keep it to yourself."

He replied, "Mother, I've been promoted. But I'm very busy. And my wife wants to find a job, so..."

The mother immediately understood what her son meant. "Son, don't send me to the old folk's home," she pleaded.

Her son was silent, thinking of a way to calm her down.

"Mother, an old folk's home isn't so bad. Once my wife starts working, she won't have time to wait on you. At the old folk's home, there'll be people to look after you. Won't that be better?"

After taking a shower and eating a bowl of instant noodles, the son went back to his study.

He stood in front of the window, feeling rather undecided.

His mother was widowed from young and never remarried. She worked hard to bring him up and send him abroad to further his studies.

But she never brought all her hardships up to make him be filial to her. INstead, his wife was the one who threatened him with their marriage!

Should he really put his mother in an old folks' home?

He asked himself this question. He couldn't bear the thought of it.

"Your wife is the one whom you'll spend the rest of your life with, not your mother." This is what Uncle Cai's son often told him.

"Your mother is so old. She might only live a few more years. Why don't you be more filial to her?" His relatives always told him this.

He didn't dare to think any further. He was afraid he'd change his mind.

The evening sun cast a golden glow over the field before disappearing behind the mountain.

A luxury old age home was located on a mountain in the countryside.

The son could only soothe his conscience by telling himself that he was paying lots of money for this.

When he led his mother into the main hall, he noticed the newest 42-inch LCD TV set. The program at that moment was a comedy, but he heard no laughter.

Several old ladies wearing the same clothes and with the same hairstyle sat lop-sidedly on a sofa, looking distant, lonely and depressed.

An old man talked to himself, while another bent over and tried to pick a biscuit which fell on the floor.

The son knew his mother liked bright light, so he chose a room which received plenty of sunlight for her. Looking out of the window, one could see plenty of trees and grassy fields.

Several nurses pushed senior citizens on wheelchairs out for an evening outing, but there was total silence.

The evening sunlight looked beautiful. He sighed to himself.

"Mother, I'm... I'm leaving."

She could only nod her head.

When he left, his mother repeatedly waved at him. She opened her toothless mouth, and spoke from her pale, dry lips. She wanted to say something, but couldn't bring herself to.

The son saw his mother's silver-gray hair, sunken eyes and pinched, wrinkled face.

His mother was really old!

He recalled tsomething from his childhood.

He was only 6. His mother went back to her hometown and couldn't bring him along, so she left him at Uncle Cai's place for a few days.

When his mother was about to leave, he hugged her in fear and wouldn't let go. He cried, "Mum, don't abandon me! Don't leave!" In the end, his mother didn't abandon him.

When he went home, he found his wife and his mother-in-law clearing out his mother's room.

His trophy - he won it with his composition titled "My mother" in primary school. His Chinese-English dictonary - his mother saved up for an entire month to buy it for him as a birthday present!

A bottle of medicated oil his mother used before sleeping. Without him to apply it for her, it was meaningless to bring it to the old folk's home.

"That's enough! Don't throw them away!" the son angrily shouted.

"If I don't throw all this rubbish away, where am I going to put my things?", his mother-in-law said in a harsh tone.

"THat's right. Throw your mother's lousy bed away. I'm going to buy a new one for my mother."

A stack of his childhood photos were right in front of him. They were taken when his mother brought him to the zoo and the amusement park.

"They're my mother's belongings! You mustn't discard them!"

"What kind of attitude is this? How dare you speak so rudely to my mother? I want you to apologize to my mother!"

"Why must I love your mother just because I married you? Why can't I love my own mother?

After the rain stopped, the night was cold and silent. There were few pedestrians or cars around.

A BMW sedan raced along the road, beating red lights and passing yellow boxes.

It raced up the mountain towards that old folk's home. The man went upstairs and opened the door to his mother's room.

He stood there silently and watched his mother massaging her arthritic legs and sobbing to herself.

When she saw her son holding the bottle of medicated oil, she felt consoled and said, "I forgot to bring this. Fortunately you brought it."

He went to his mother's side and knelt down. "It's very late. I can manage. You have to work tomorrow. Go home," she said.

He halted before sobbing out, "Mother, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Let's go home!"

How painful it is to see your parents change from healthy young adults to fragile old people.

Parents always leave the best things in life for their children. Like candles, they burn themselves out to light the way for their children.

How about me?

Should I always think of my parents, or should I only think of them when I need refuge and help?

In fact, parents don't ask for much. A simple "Father. Mother. How are you today" is all they ask for.

Buying supper on the way home or cooking a simple meal for them, putting on their blankets at night, helping them on with their clothes and gloves when it's cold. All these simple things will make them happy.

At times, I wonder how I want my children to treat me.

Right now, I ask myself if I'm treating my children in the same way.

I believe what goes around comes around. How you treat your parents now is how your children will treat you in future.

A parent's kindness is the hardest thing to repay in life. May we all be thankful, respect and be filial to our parents!

can never translate a beautifully written chinese essay.

The beauty of chinese language. [scholar]

Very true. It's best appreciated in the original language.

Even in Chinese movies and TV shows, for instance, the subtitles often fail to capture the essence of some of the best bits.

Very touching story, thought I'd try to give a rough translation. Didn't check for spelling or grammatical errors, just hope I captured the gist of it.

The daughter-in-law said, "When I make it less salty, you complain that it's not tasty enough. Now that I made it more salty, you won't eat it. Just what do you want?)

When the old lady saw her son come back, she started to eat the food without saying anything.

She stared at her husband angrily.

He tried one mouthful and spat it out. "Didn't I tell you Mother is ill? Her food mustn't be too salty!"

"Fine! She's your mother! You cook for her!"

The daughter-in-law stormed out and went to her room. The son could only sigh helplessly. "Mother, don't eat it. I'll cook some noodles for you."

The mother said, "Do you have something you want to tell me? Tell me. Don't keep it to yourself."

He replied, "Mother, I've been promoted. But I'm very busy. And my wife wants to find a job, so..."

The mother immediately understood what her son meant. "Son, don't send me to the old folk's home," she pleaded.

Her son was silent, thinking of a way to calm her down.

"Mother, an old folk's home isn't so bad. Once my wife starts working, she won't have time to wait on you. At the old folk's home, there'll be people to look after you. Won't that be better?"

After taking a shower and eating a bowl of instant noodles, the son went back to his study.

He stood in front of the window, feeling rather undecided.

His mother was widowed from young and never remarried. She worked hard to bring him up and send him abroad to further his studies.

But she never brought all her hardships up to make him be filial to her. INstead, his wife was the one who threatened him with their marriage!

Should he really put his mother in an old folks' home?

He asked himself this question. He couldn't bear the thought of it.

"Your wife is the one whom you'll spend the rest of your life with, not your mother." This is what Uncle Cai's son often told him.

"Your mother is so old. She might only live a few more years. Why don't you be more filial to her?" His relatives always told him this.

He didn't dare to think any further. He was afraid he'd change his mind.

The evening sun cast a golden glow over the field before disappearing behind the mountain.

A luxury old age home was located on a mountain in the countryside.

The son could only soothe his conscience by telling himself that he was paying lots of money for this.

When he led his mother into the main hall, he noticed the newest 42-inch LCD TV set. The program at that moment was a comedy, but he heard no laughter.

Several old ladies wearing the same clothes and with the same hairstyle sat lop-sidedly on a sofa, looking distant, lonely and depressed.

An old man talked to himself, while another bent over and tried to pick a biscuit which fell on the floor.

The son knew his mother liked bright light, so he chose a room which received plenty of sunlight for her. Looking out of the window, one could see plenty of trees and grassy fields.

Several nurses pushed senior citizens on wheelchairs out for an evening outing, but there was total silence.

The evening sunlight looked beautiful. He sighed to himself.

"Mother, I'm... I'm leaving."

She could only nod her head.

When he left, his mother repeatedly waved at him. She opened her toothless mouth, and spoke from her pale, dry lips. She wanted to say something, but couldn't bring herself to.

The son saw his mother's silver-gray hair, sunken eyes and pinched, wrinkled face.

His mother was really old!

He recalled tsomething from his childhood.

He was only 6. His mother went back to her hometown and couldn't bring him along, so she left him at Uncle Cai's place for a few days.

When his mother was about to leave, he hugged her in fear and wouldn't let go. He cried, "Mum, don't abandon me! Don't leave!" In the end, his mother didn't abandon him.

When he went home, he found his wife and his mother-in-law clearing out his mother's room.

His trophy - he won it with his composition titled "My mother" in primary school. His Chinese-English dictonary - his mother saved up for an entire month to buy it for him as a birthday present!

A bottle of medicated oil his mother used before sleeping. Without him to apply it for her, it was meaningless to bring it to the old folk's home.

"That's enough! Don't throw them away!" the son angrily shouted.

"If I don't throw all this rubbish away, where am I going to put my things?", his mother-in-law said in a harsh tone.

"THat's right. Throw your mother's lousy bed away. I'm going to buy a new one for my mother."

A stack of his childhood photos were right in front of him. They were taken when his mother brought him to the zoo and the amusement park.

"They're my mother's belongings! You mustn't discard them!"

"What kind of attitude is this? How dare you speak so rudely to my mother? I want you to apologize to my mother!"

"Why must I love your mother just because I married you? Why can't I love my own mother?

After the rain stopped, the night was cold and silent. There were few pedestrians or cars around.

A BMW sedan raced along the road, beating red lights and passing yellow boxes.

It raced up the mountain towards that old folk's home. The man went upstairs and opened the door to his mother's room.

He stood there silently and watched his mother massaging her arthritic legs and sobbing to herself.

When she saw her son holding the bottle of medicated oil, she felt consoled and said, "I forgot to bring this. Fortunately you brought it."

He went to his mother's side and knelt down. "It's very late. I can manage. You have to work tomorrow. Go home," she said.

He halted before sobbing out, "Mother, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Let's go home!"

How painful it is to see your parents change from healthy young adults to fragile old people.

Parents always leave the best things in life for their children. Like candles, they burn themselves out to light the way for their children.

How about me?

Should I always think of my parents, or should I only think of them when I need refuge and help?

In fact, parents don't ask for much. A simple "Father. Mother. How are you today" is all they ask for.

Buying supper on the way home or cooking a simple meal for them, putting on their blankets at night, helping them on with their clothes and gloves when it's cold. All these simple things will make them happy.

At times, I wonder how I want my children to treat me.

Right now, I ask myself if I'm treating my children in the same way.

I believe what goes around comes around. How you treat your parents now is how your children will treat you in future.

A parent's kindness is the hardest thing to repay in life. May we all be thankful, respect and be filial to our parents!

Good [laugh]

Turbocharged

Very true. It's best appreciated in the original language.

Even in Chinese movies and TV shows, for instance, the subtitles often fail to capture the essence of some of the best bits.

same goes to English novels and classic

even for movies, I feel it very weird watching it dubbed in mandarin (eg the Rush hour last week [dizzy] )

glad that I'm bilingual (plus Hokkien and Teochew)

Turbocharged

always treat your aging parents well while they are still around

there are always some moments of regret after they passed away

very often, I've heard people saying (even myself):"i could spare more time with my mom", "i should have brought my father to his favourite bak kut teh on the sunday morning", "i shouldn't quarrel with them over money", etc etc

thus the saying: 子欲养而亲不在

Translated! [:p]

Daughter in law to mom: I cooked a bit bland, you complained there is not much flavor and taste, now I cooked it slightly salty, you said you can't swallow it, what do you want?

Mom swallowed the food down without a second word, after seeing her son back home.

The wife give a stare at the husband.

Husband spitted out the food immediately after a mouthful and said, ' I thought I mentioned before that mom is sick and can't have her food too salty!'

Wife: Fine! Mom is yours, you shall cook for her in the future!

Wife stomped out of the room.

Husband sighed and told mom, ' Mom, don't eat that. I will cooked noodles for you.

Mom: Do you have something to tell me? Just tell me, don't keep it inside.

Son: Mom, I am getting promoted next month and will be busy. Wife also mentioned that she is thinking of getting a job outside, so......

Mom sensed her son's thoughts and said with a pleading voice ,' Son, please don't send me to the old folks home.'

Son paused for a moment, seeking for a better reason / excuse.

Son to Mom: Mom, the old folks home is not so bad. You know that once wifey start working, there will be no time left to take care of you. There will be food and people taking care of you at the old folks home. Isn't it better than staying at home?

Son stepped back to the study room after bathing and finishing up a bowl of instant noodles.

He looked out of the window, a bit hesitant.

Mom was widowed at a young age, had gone through so much tough times to raise him up and send him overseas for study.

Yet, she never use her sacrifice of youth to threaten him to be filial, but in turn, it is his wife that uses marriage as a threat.

Shall I really send mom to old folks home?

He asked himself, there is a part of him that can't bear it.

Mr. Cai's son always reminded him, ' The one that can spend your life with is your wife, it can't be your mom right?'

His relatives always advise him, ' Your mom is already so old, if she has a good life, she can probably live for another few years. Why don't you take this opportunity to take care of her? You might not have the chance to be filial to her even if you want to in the future!'

He dared not think further, as he is afraid that he will change his mind.

The evening sun is setting, resting behind the mountain.

A prestige old folks home nestled on the hills at the outskirts.

Yes, with more money spend, then he can find his peace.

Son walked mom to the lobby, there is a 42 inch brand new tv, which is airing a comedy but there are no laughters from the audience.

A few old folks with the same clothing and hair style sat on the sofa, with sadness and emptiness in their eyes.

Some of the old folks are talking to themselves, and one of them slowly bending down, trying to pick up and eat a biscuit that has dropped on the floor.

Son knows that Mom loves brightness, so he specially picked a room with sufficient sunlight, and from the window, the view are tree shades and greenery.

There are a couple of nurses pushing some old folks on the wheelchairs for a stroll. The surroundings is quiet but yet filled with sadness.

It is evening time, he sighed, ' Mom, I have to go.'

Mom can only nod her head.

Mom waved at him repeatly as she opened her mouth (toothless, and dried chapped lips) and was mumbling as if she wanted to say something

At this point, son finally noticed her greying hair, her wrinkled face.

Mom really has aged.

He began to remember in the past, when he was just 6 years old. Mom has to return to her village and is unable to bring him along, so he has to stay with Mr. Cai for a few days.

He remembered how he held on to Mom's leg with fear as mom was about to leave, crying out loud, ' Mom, please don't leave me, please don't leave me.' and how mom eventually did not left him there.

He hurried out of the room, closed the door and dare not look back. He fears the memory will haunt him.

Wife and his mother in law was diligently cleaning up mom's room, throwing everything away when he reached home

The trophy was a first prize that he won when he wrote a composition "My Mom" when he was just in primary school.

The chinese dictionary that mom had to scrimp and saved for an entire month just to buy it for him as a first birthday gift.

And the medicated oil that mom needs to apply before she sleeps. What meaning is there, if he was to bring the medicated oil to the home but he will not physically be there to apply it for mom?

'Enough, stop throwing the stuffs away!' he shouted

Mother in law with a displeased tone: ' there are so many rubbish here. If we don't throw away, how can I put my things?'

Wife: Exactly! Hurry and get your mom's useless lousy bed out. I am going to buy one new bed for my mom tomorrow!

A few photos appeared within sight in front of him. Photos of the times that mom brought him out to the zoo and carnival.

Son: They are all my mom's property! You can't throw any one of them away!

Wife: What kind of attitude is this? How can you raise your voice at my mom! I want you to apologize to her now!

Son: I married you and you want me to love your mom. Why is it that you marry me and you can't love my mom?

The road is quiet after nightfall and rain and there are little pedestrians and cars.

A beemer was speeding on the road, dashing the red lights.

It headed straight to the old folks home on the hills. He stopped the car, dashed upstairs, and pushed open the door of his mom's room.

He stood there like a ghost, mom was sobbing quietly and rubbing both her legs as the rheumatism pained her.

She saw her son holding the medicated oil in his hands and heaved a sigh of relief, ' Mom forgot to bring, fortunately you did!'

He walked to her side and kneel down.

Mom: It is late, I can apply it on my own. You still need to work tomorrow, go home!

Not abled to hold his tears back, he cried: Mom, I am sorry. Please forgive me! Lets go home!

**********************Afterthoughts of Author

As ! grow up, ! watched my parents aged from youth to old, fragile, slow and greying. How it pains my heart!

My parents always giving me the best, the most precious. They are like a candle, forever burning themselves so that they can shine on me and be a light for me.

How about myself?

Did I free up some time for them? Or only when I stopped and paused from the bustling of life then I will think of them...

Actually parents don't want anything much, just a simple "Mom, Dad, How are you all today?"

A simple supper, or a simple home cooked dinner, cover them with blankets while they sleep, when the weather is cold, get them new clothes and gloves....all these will make them happy and warm for a long time.

Sometimes, I think: I hope my sons and daughters will treat me this manner in the future

And now, have i done the same to my parents?

I believe that humans are connected. How you treat your parents now; in the future, your kids will treat you the same

In this life, the hardest person to pay back is parents. Lets hope that we will all treat parents well and be filial.

1 more good story for you.

A 3 minute reading may change your children life.

One young academically excellent person went to apply for a managerial position in a big company. He passed the first interview, the director did the last interview, made the last decision.

The director discovered from the CV that the youth's academic achievements were excellent all the way, from the secondary school until the postgraduate research, Never had a year when he did not score.

The director asked: "Did you obtain any scholarships in school?"

The youth answered "none".

The director asked: "Is it your father who paid for your school fees?"

The youth answered: "My father passed away when I was one year old, it was my mother who paid for my school fees."

The director asked: "Where did your mother work?"

The youth answered: "My mother worked as clothes cleaner."

The director requested the youth to show his hands.

The youth showed a pair of hands that were smooth and perfect.

The director asked: " Have you ever helped your mother wash the clothes before?"

The youth answered: "Never, my mother always wanted me to study and read more books. Furthermore, my mother can wash clothes faster than me."

The director said: "I have a request. When you go back today, go and clean your mother's hands, and then see me tomorrow morning."

The youth felt that his chance of landing the job was high. When he went back, he happily requested his mother to let him clean her hands. His mother felt strange, happy but with mixed feelings, she showed her hands to the kid.

The youth cleaned his mother's hands slowly. His tear fell as he did that. It was the first time he noticed that his mother's hands were so wrinkled, and there were so many bruises in her hands. Some bruises were so painful that his mother shivered when they were cleaned with water.

This was the first time the youth realized that it was this pair of hands that washed the clothes everyday to enable him to pay the school fee. The bruises in the mother's hands were the price that the mother had to pay for his graduation, academic excellence and his future.

After finishing the cleaning of his mother's hands, the youth quietly washed all the remaining clothes for his mother. That night, mother and son talked for a very long time.

Next morning, the youth went to the director's office.

The Director noticed the tears in the youth's eyes, asked: " Can you tell me what have you done and learned yesterday in your house?"

The youth answered: "I cleaned my mother's hand, and also finished cleaning all the remaining clothes"

The Director asked: " please tell me your feelings."

The youth said"

Number 1,

I know now what is appreciation. Without my mother, there would not the successful me today.

Number 2,

By working together and helping my mother, only I now realize how difficult and tough it is to get something done.

Number 3,

I have come to appreciate the importance and value of family relationship.

The director said: "This is what I am looking for to be my manager. I want to recruit a person who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the sufferings of others to get things done, and a person who would not put money as his only goal in life. You are hired."

Later on, this young person worked very hard, and received the respect of his subordinates. Every employee worked diligently and as a team. The company's performance improved tremendously.

A child, who has been protected and habitually given whatever he wanted, would develop "entitlement mentality "and would always put himself first. He would be ignorant of his parent's efforts.

When he starts work, he assumes that every person must listen to him, and when he becomes a manager, he would never know the sufferings of his employees and would always blame others.

For this kind of people, who may be good academically, may be successful for a while, but eventually would not feel sense of achievement.

He will grumble and be full of hatred and fight for more. If we are this kind of protective parents, are we really showing love or are we destroying the kid instead?*

You can let your kid live in a big house, give him a Driver & Car for going around, Eat a Good Meal, learn Piano, Watch a Big Screen TV.

But when you are Cutting Grass, please let them experience it. After a Meal, let them Wash their Plates and Bowls together with their Brothers and Sisters. Tell them to Travel in Public Bus, It is not because you do not have Money for Car or to Hire a Maid, but it is because you want to Love them in a right way.

You want them to understand, no matter how rich their parents are, one day their hair will Grow Grey, same as the Mother of that young person. The most important thing is your kid learns how to appreciate the effort and experience the difficulty and learns the ability to work with others to get things done

now my dad and mum stay with me to help take care of my kids! [grouphug] my kids say my mum very naggy [laugh] they dont know how blessed they are that my parents are still around to take care of them and teach them to study! [grouphug]

家有一老,如有一寶 = home got one old, like got one treasure!!! hey! i got two!!! [grouphug]

Turbocharged

same goes to English novels and classic

even for movies, I feel it very weird watching it dubbed in mandarin (eg the Rush hour last week [dizzy] )

glad that I'm bilingual (plus Hokkien and Teochew)

[thumbsup] I wish I spoke two languages.

Kiddy now going to learn three....the school is also doing conversational Malay for two hours a week.

Good translation...

So after the son brought his mom home, did he plan who to take care for her? He's quitting his job and take care of mom full time?

Good translation...

So after the son brought his mom home, did he plan who to take care for her? He's quitting his job and take care of mom full time?

get the mother in law to help lor [grouphug]

:D:D:D

Turbocharged

Nowadays, some people treat their prized pet dogs better than their parents

↡ Advertisement