Fridge not cold

Donut

hey guys, need some expert advice on fridges.

My MIL's home fridge, 12 years old liao. Suddenly not cold already. I ask one of fridge salesman and his advise is to switch off the fridge for 2 hours and switch on again. See if it is back to normal. If it is still no good, then the fridge up lorry liao.

MIL followed instructions and still find the fridge not cold anymore.

So my question is: what else can we do? Is it due to no more compressor gas? Can ask the repair guy to come and see? or just throw and buy new one?

Clear all the stuff in the fridge.... off it.... clean it.... on it back.... should be okay after that... if not.... time to visit the store....

↡ Advertisement

adjusting the 2 front feet,means till the fridge tilt one end???

The tilt need not be very much and would not be obvious visually. Open the door halfway, and gradually adjust the 2 front feet until the door started to move.

alrite man....will try,anyway.............the top freezer is back to life...............guess if the motor is new...........is new...........tks for the advice

Fridge repair guy came.......changed the motor for my Sharp........now top n bottom compartment very cold............no issue.........BUT.....got water on the floor leh.......is it usual??? other than that nothing else.........any advice????

(edited)

Fridge repair guy came.......changed the motor for my Sharp........now top n bottom compartment very cold............no issue.........BUT.....got water on the floor leh.......is it usual??? other than that nothing else.........any advice????

I think the water is due to the "defrost cycle".

Is there a drain tray at the bottom of your fridge ? Usually, you can reach the trap by pulling out a removable grille/panel at the front bottom of the fridge. Usually, the condensate would evaporate on it own, and no need to pour it away. Clear away the condensate and monitor further.

If you had adjusted the front feet of the fridge [to help door close], then you may need to put back to previous setting. Perhap, the drain tray is tilted too much and cause overflow.

Edited by Opel17

I think the water is due to the "defrost cycle" - oh,so nothing is wrong with my fridge (in fact, I dun suspect anything wrong as it is functioning properly)

Is there a drain tray at the bottom of your fridge? - Yes, there is.

Usually, you can reach the trap by pulling out a removable grille/panel at the front bottom of the fridge. Usually, the condensate would evaporate on it own, and no need to pour it away. Clear away the condensate and monitor further. - alrite, will try tmr

If you had adjusted the front feet of the fridge [to help door close], then you may need to put back to previous setting. Perhaps, the drain tray is tilted too much and cause overflow. - tks so much for the advice

I took some pics at the back of the fridge....show some condensation on one of the pipe....but the "water on the floor"

syndrome not so bad already.......but motor bit hot though.

Any cause for concern????

post-31726-1362882053_thumb.jpg

post-31726-1362882115_thumb.jpg

I took some pics at the back of the fridge....show some condensation on one of the pipe....but the "water on the floor"

syndrome not so bad already.......but motor bit hot though.

Any cause for concern????

The tubing with the frost/ice buildup is the suction line. When the compressor operate in on-off cycle. When the compressor is off, the frost/ice will melt into water on the floor.

This water is different from the defrost water, which is frost melted from the freezer cooling coil.

The motor is actually the refrigerant compressor (black color) with built-in motor. It is normal for it to be hot.

so as conclusion.....there is no cause for concern.....cause calling the fridge man to come check it out and he not yet got back to me.

I have a fridge not cold but Freezer cold.

Any clue what to check for a fisher and payker two door fridge. Freezer at the bottom type.

Have clear the rear condensor tray already

Looking to see if there is a Damper Control Assembly but google nothing came out

Edited by Sdf4786k

Any clue what to check for a fisher and payker two door fridge. Freezer at the bottom type.

Looking to see if there is a Damper Control Assembly but google nothing came out

Typically the cold air goes to the freezer first, and some fan is used to suck the cold air to distribute to the fridge compartment. Most fridge designs have a hole somewhere that allows the condensation to flow down to the bottom, as well as to let the cold air down into the fridge compartment. If this drainage is choked (i.e. ice buildup), the fridge may also not be cold.

Try turning off the fridge for 12 hours and see if it helps. I used to do quick defrost on my freezer by pouring boiling water down the drainage hole. Because the defrost sensor was not working.

• Praise 2

Looking to see if there is a Damper Control Assembly but google nothing came out

try switching off for 2-4 hrs....can clean the fridge while at it. Usually the older well-known brands is due to motor auto switched off due to over-running. Maybe caused by the door not shut fully. Or just that you need to clean the area around the fan as dust may accumulate and covers the coil and the fan.

But those new korean ones doesnt have the auto-switch off function (told by the repairmen when my lg had the same problem......hope this help.

Edited by Eviilusion

Looking to see if there is a Damper Control Assembly but google nothing came out

Just recently my LG fridge has the same symptoms. Freezer still can freeze, but the fridge temp is 14 c.

What I did is pull the fridge out, and clean the coil and fan and observe. Notice that the fan doesn't spin even when the compressir kicked in. Measured that there is AC voltage to the fan, so means the power to fan is ok. Try hand spinning the fan, and it can spin for a while. Next I just oil it while manually turning the fan. Repeat oiling it, until it can spin by itself. Now the fridge is cold liao, can go to 2 degree.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 4

turn the mechanical timer or check where is the fan mounted as seemed to be stuck that caused

no circulation. Make sure power is switch off first.

• Praise 2

turn the mechanical timer or check where is the fan mounted as seemed to be stuck that caused

no circulation. Make sure power is switch off first.

I pull the fan out and seems like the fan a little resistance to spin for both the freezer and the Fridge.

I pull the fan out and seems like the fan a little resistance to spin for both the freezer and the Fridge.

something new to learn everyday.....
↡ Advertisement