Booked by LTA 3 times in 3 months

AlanZ

Neutral Newbie

Just to share my experience and alert all drivers.

Pardon me for the lengthy post.

And to those who like to comment only blame me cause of my mistake, or being stupid to waste $ on mods, save your breadth. It's not meant to debate on allowing illegal mods but simply to share with other drivers whose car are not stock to take note on.

Hope it can be viewed constructively as LTA seem to be having less leeway and flexibility in the system. And with the high COE pricing, car owners are even being clapmed down more tightly. I wonder whats the revenue of LTA annually. A non-profit driven authority can be earning so much, I wonder wonder wonder...

Just a brief of my incidents,

In November,

I was stopped in Lavender St and booked for my aftermarket number plate.

Officer in-charge claim the material is not acceptable (laser cut) thus he booked me. I explained that onemotoring website guidelines only specify regarding font size and not material of number plate used and since its is clearly visible comapred to those faded off lorry number plates. He told me to write in to appeal instead as it is his job. I did not want to argue.

I wrote in to appeal to LTA after receiving the summon on the guidelines for an aftermarket number plate as the details in website is vague and only measurement of fonts is mentioned. LTA only replied with a standard template informing me details available in website though I clearly asked for clearer specifications guidelines so I can re-order a "complaint" number plate. Not surprisingly, they did not bother to entertain my appeal for waiver. Neither did they provide more information to answer my queries.

In December,

I was stopped in CTE and guided to road chevrons with heavy traffic during that time.

Officer in-charge told me my number plate did not comply to their standards. He took out a ruler and measured the fonts and its a little smaller than required. He took effort to explain to me that the smaller font size is the reason my number plate did not meet the standards. He also inform me that my DRL is not allowed even though its not switched on. I notify him that I was just book earlier the previous month and only made payment for the offence last week via AXS and will be changing soon as I wrote in to LTA for advise on the type of number plates they allow to be fitted, pleading for leniency.

He replied that he will be giving me a verbal warning but also input into the system so the next officer who spotted me with this will issue me a summon. I thanked him for his graciousness.

Moving on, I happily forgotten or rather did not bother to change my number plate as I was awaiting LTA reply on the guidelines (yes, I did not want to spend $ doing up another number plate that is non-complaint) which never came back...

On 1 Feb,

I received a registered mail from LTA. I picked up the letter and realised that I have been issued a summon for the offence committed in early December in CTE. Then I realised that I was "played out" by the LTA officer. But what I was curious is what took so long for the letter to come as the issue date is 30 Jan, not the usual 1-2weeks. Is it because of quota or target that the LTA officer decided to only submit my case in Jan?

Today,

I was stopped by another LTA for the same thing, my number plate. I showed him my summon received few days back and told him I already receive it and will duly change 1 as I was initially waiting for LTA email reply.

He told me that now that he see it again, he will need to summon me again too. He referred to the summon (for number plate and DRL) and proceeded to tell me he will summon likewise. He carried on to ask if my sunshade is too big and wanted to summon me for it. I was surprised as it came as a default from the dealer, KAH motor. Hearing that he then claim that he will give me a chance but the shades on my windows are also not allowed while driving and to be only to be used during parking. I explained that the design of the shades only covers the rear half of front windows, thus 1st half is not blocked. This is designed for use when driving so it does not cause obstruction or danger to driver's view. He also passed me on that.

He then elaborated that I can appeal to LTA if I want. I was rushing for time and took my license and IC back from him and left.

Though some may be telling me to shut up and just pay for fines, I am more interested to find out if the LTA officers has a standard procedure or passed proper training to know about LTA guidelines. They always reply with an open-ended answer refusing to provide clear boundary as to what is legal and what is not. Many areas seem greyed; intentionally or unitentionally.

A summon can reach my place only 2 months later though officer previously informed that its only a verbal warning.

I mean that they can simply summon instead of playing dirty tricks like this.. Zzz

Can anyone also firmly knows if laser cut number plates are allowed by LTA if the font type and size are within their specifications?

Many thanks for reading. Your views and comments is appreciated.

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

You have either tried to 'play the system' with delaying tactics, ... or you simply bochup.

Either way, you deserve your summons.

And it's spelt as "compliant" - which you can easily ascertain with Kah Motors.

For some, it's 'reasons', .. for you, IMHO, it falls under 'excuses'.

For LTA to summon you 3 times in 2 months over the same item, I would really suggest for you to change to a legal number plate. I too have my problems with number plates, only encountered twice during my yearly inspection. Just recently went for my 3rd inspection for my 5 yr car , no problems. [:p]

Turbocharged

Apologies...

Should not be in 2 months as in topic.. Lol

if i were u, i will hoot to the MOT leow.

sometimes these buggers no see coffin no tears one.

if the law is vague, fight all the way. dun accept template replies, make sure that even if u have to pay the fine, u drag it into a big public issue.

I am quite sure if the laser cut numbers are sized 10mm thick and spacing according to the LTA guideline, it will pass.

However, I believe LTA state white numbering or black numbering only. Other colors or silver may not pass.

So in theory there can and will never be a legal lazer cut plate, simply because of the silver color!

Quote from LTA "Vehicle licence plates normally have white letters and figures on black background for both front and rear of a vehicle. However, if the vehicle licence plate is made of reflex reflecting material, the front licence plate will consist of black letters and figures on a white background, and the rear licence plate will consist of black letters and figures on a yellow background."

Edited by Givechance

You have either tried to 'play the system' with delaying tactics, ... or you simply bochup.

+1

I've also complained against a driver who always sukat-sukat anyhow park in the carpark, instead of parking in available lots.

His car is also heavily tinted, and with non-compliant number plates (reflective type).

Wrote in to LTA quite a few times to bug them to look into the matter.

Since my complaints, that car has been fined three times. ;)

Of course, whether he pays or not, and whether LTA waived his appeal, I can't comment that lar.

Edited by Kingkong

Curious, does a special number plate makes the car look nicer?

If that the car is nice, any plate the car would be nice.

If that the number is nice, the car would too be nice.

In all 3 occasions, the common factor is your licence plate. Just change it la, don't give them a chance to stop you then catch you for other things.

Neutral Newbie

In all 3 occasions, the common factor is your licence plate. Just change it la, don't give them a chance to stop you then catch you for other things.

I intend to change it but wanted to confirm changing to the type I want is compliant... Its no doubt my own fault but I just thought tat waiting for a clear reply before deciding which type to change to.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for pointing out my spelling error.

I did not do any check and simply posted after I typed.

It may be excuses and thus I am paying the fines... But I don't thing your reply helped me. Thanks anyway.

No offence man, I think you are simply trying your luck by delaying it. Can see your luck not so good, hope year of the snake will be better for you.

Just go to any car accessories shop and tell them you want LTA approved plates. Simple as that. If you want to get it from the source, go to Eng Bee Signcraft.

Neutral Newbie

No offence man, I think you are simply trying your luck by delaying it. Can see your luck not so good, hope year of the snake will be better for you.

Just go to any car accessories shop and tell them you want LTA approved plates. Simple as that. If you want to get it from the source, go to Eng Bee Signcraft.

Appreciate your suggestion.

Not offended in anyway. I know its my mistake by taking chances.

But the main thing I wana find out has no answers. I knew that most ppl will only be shooting me instead of looking at the other areas where I posted my queries.

↡ Advertisement