Maintaining my car battery

Kreampuff

I sometimes leave my car idling, with headlights on, a/c on and radio on for maybe 15 mins at a time. I am pretty sure that this is bad for my battery, but I am curious to know exactly how bad this is. Will it half my car battery lifespan if I do this frequently? I don't need my battery to last forever, but if I am only getting 1 year out of my 2 year lifespan battery, I might avoid doing this.

I know some taxi drivers do it, and some people do it for sexy time at some deserted car park, so I'm guessing its not absolutely fatal. However, there are times where I am seriously sleepy at work and it would be nice to get some shut eye in my car in the carpark during lunch time. What if I take a nap in my car for an hour with a/c on?

Pls share if you have practical experience with leaving your car idling for extended periods of time, and whether you have noticed this affecting your battery life.

↡ Advertisement

From what I know, it's bad to turn on your electrics when the engine is off.

Reason being, the alternator is not running hence it is unable to charge your depleting battery.

If you use your electrics with the engine running, shouldn't be a problem since the alternator will be charging your battery. Unless your alternator is not working. Only drawback is that you are burning fuel.

If you want to sleep with engine running and A/C on, suggest you open your windows a little bit for fresh air to circulate.

Edited by Beehive3783

I would say you have nothing to worry. Once you start the engine the alternator takes over. What it does is convert the mechanical energy to electrical energy. You will just be wasting fuel with everything running. Aircon does not run on batteries. Your small battery is too weak.

Taxis have a lot of communication and device like $meters in the car. They use those big lorry battery. A mechanic told me one when I pointed out the big battery in the taxi at the car workshop.

The best way is not to overload the car's electrical system to put strain on the battery especially during cold start, make sure everything is switched off. Whatever sound systems, gps, charger you want to install in your car make sure the system can take it. Leaving things on that came with your car is already designed and put into consideration how much electrical load it can run. Like I said you will be only wasting fuel. The battery will be charged by the alternator so no issue as long as engine is running.

Edited by Watwheels

I sometimes leave my car idling, with headlights on, a/c on and radio on for maybe 15 mins at a time. I am pretty sure that this is bad for my battery, but I am curious to know exactly how bad this is. Will it half my car battery lifespan if I do this frequently? I don't need my battery to last forever, but if I am only getting 1 year out of my 2 year lifespan battery, I might avoid doing this.

I know some taxi drivers do it, and some people do it for sexy time at some deserted car park, so I'm guessing its not absolutely fatal. However, there are times where I am seriously sleepy at work and it would be nice to get some shut eye in my car in the carpark during lunch time. What if I take a nap in my car for an hour with a/c on?

Pls share if you have practical experience with leaving your car idling for extended periods of time, and whether you have noticed this affecting your battery life.

Don't think that excessive idling will affect much on your battery as once the engine is on, the alternator will supply all the vehicle electrical needs and charge it when necessary. I would think that a good heat shield around your battery would be more beneficial as heat(lack of air flow during idling) is a major killer of battery life in Spore hot climate.

But one thing for sure, you will have excessive fuel dilution into your engine thus causing your engine oil to break down much much faster, if you are doing 10k oil change, you should consider changing it earlier at maybe 7-8k instead.

Quote from MEWR:

Under the Environmental Protection and Management (Vehicular Emissions) Regulations, it is an offence to leave the engine of a vehicle idling when the vehicle is stationary, other than due to traffic conditions. Leaving the engine running when the vehicle is stationary results in fuel wastage and unnecessary emission of exhaust gases. Offenders are liable for a maximum fine of $2,000 for the first offence and $5,000 for the second and subsequent offences if convicted in court. An average of 320 advisory notices a year has been issued in the last three years and to date 12 drivers have been offered notices of composition fine of $70.

Link: http://app.mewr.gov.sg/web/contents/conten...spx?contid=1719

Quote from MEWR:

Under the Environmental Protection and Management (Vehicular Emissions) Regulations, it is an offence to leave the engine of a vehicle idling when the vehicle is stationary, other than due to traffic conditions. Leaving the engine running when the vehicle is stationary results in fuel wastage and unnecessary emission of exhaust gases. Offenders are liable for a maximum fine of $2,000 for the first offence and $5,000 for the second and subsequent offences if convicted in court. An average of 320 advisory notices a year has been issued in the last three years and to date 12 drivers have been offered notices of composition fine of $70.

Link: http://app.mewr.gov.sg/web/contents/conten...spx?contid=1719

Wah, I din know about this. Fine $70 some more. I wonder how did the enforcement works? Summon anyone stationary who have their engine idling?

Wah, I din know about this. Fine $70 some more. I wonder how did the enforcement works? Summon anyone stationary who have their engine idling?

If someone complains with proof, they can catch. I feel like complaining my ang-moh colleagues for sleeping in the cars during lunch. I gave them enough warning already. You know what, in our closed basement car, it suffocates when 2-3 cars idling for 45 minutes [bigcry]

My friend and I went to Chinatown to buy one of those battery pack for his handphone and the guy told him not to use the car to charge the battery pack as it will slowly damage the car batt.

We were surprised 'cos many of our devices like car cam, handphones and GPS have internal batt and use the car batt to charge thru' the car charger as well.

Anyone comes across this theory? [confused]

Supercharged

can try installing desulphator for longer life.

when idling, alternator wun be charging batt very much, if at all...

when i was younger, i had a lot of practical experience with sexy time at some deserted car park.

didn't seem to affect the battery much but be careful for old cars as CO leaks into the cabin

and can kill anyone inside.

:D

when i was younger, i had a lot of practical experience with sexy time at some deserted car park.

didn't seem to affect the battery much but be careful for old cars as CO leaks into the cabin

and can kill anyone inside.

:D

sir dont get angry

pre-mature ejeculation no count