My engine after 150,000 kms

Ncp91

While changing engine oil recently, my workshop informed me that my valve cover was leaking oil and needed fixing. So a replacement part was duly procured and I took the opportunity to look at the insides of my 1NZ-FE engine:

post-23603-1361549182_thumb.jpg

The cause of the oil leak. A perished rubber seal was the culprit. All these were meant to be one single rubber part.

post-23603-1361549384_thumb.jpg

All shiny and slick. The oil is dark because its 10,000km old.

Continued in the next post......

↡ Advertisement

post-23603-1361549685_thumb.jpg

Timing chain and VVTi mechanism. Chain looks ok.

post-23603-1361549733_thumb.jpg

Looking down into the valves

post-23603-1361549769_thumb.jpg

The new rubber seal is back into the valve cover.

And all this is done on bargain-basement priced C@rlub3 engine oil, serviced every 10,000km, typically driven in stop-go traffic, occasional visits to redline.

Timing chain and VVTi mechanism. Chain looks ok.

Looking down into the valves

The new rubber seal is back into the valve cover.

And all this is done on bargain-basement priced C@rlub3 engine oil, serviced every 10,000km, typically driven in stop-go traffic, occasional visits to redline.

I too had the manifold gasked replaced twice on my 6yr old 130k km optra.

I was surprised why it leak so often n e mech said its a common problem wh c@rlube oil. I dunno how true this is though.

My previous corona also used c@rlube but never had this problem.

I think its more design n parts quality issue.

How much did it cost you to change the valve cover seal (parts + labor)?

$50 fitted. I don't know how much the part itself cost though.

I was surprised why it leak so often n e mech said its a common problem wh c@rlube oil. I dunno how true this is though.

Manifold gasket would never touch engine oil, right?

Mine is the valve cover rubber seal. I suppose some types of engines use metallic/paper gaskets for a good seal between valve cover and block instead. I assumed mine was a paper gasket until the valve cover came off. I'm surprised rubber lasted so long against the heat of the engine.....

Manifold gasket would never touch engine oil, right?

Mine is the valve cover rubber seal. I suppose some types of engines use metallic/paper gaskets for a good seal between valve cover and block instead. I assumed mine was a paper gasket until the valve cover came off. I'm surprised rubber lasted so long against the heat of the engine.....

That part of e engine is sprayed wh oil as e camshaft spins n oil is splashing around in there. U try to open e oil filler cap when engine is running then u know.

Early engines used cork gaskets but now i see all r rubber. Maybe its silicon rubber so oil dun affect it.

$50 fitted. I don't know how much the part itself cost though.

That's very inexpensive, I'd a fren who drives a jap ride changed at agent for 100plus last year.

Wc workshop is that? The mech knows the sequence of fastening n torquing right? U have the specs?

Edited by Fuelsaver

So the workshop just bad mouth the brand of oil you had been using. c-- ---e triple R is a good oil.

That's very inexpensive, I'd a fren who drives a jap ride changed at agent for 100plus last year.

Just e rubber gasket fr my optra already abt $50. Add labour abt $100 already.

My old corona e rubber only abt $15 only n it lasts much longer.

So the workshop just bad mouth the brand of oil you had been using. c-- ---e triple R is a good oil.

Ya maybe cos i know c@rlube triple r is a good oil. I using it fr maybe >10 yrs ever since it 1st started selling in SG.

Also cud b his ws dun hv this oil so he try to trick me into using some of e crappy oils he do have. Hahaha.

But seems funny other kaki here also use c@rlube n hv manifold gasket leak? Maybe it contains something that eats e rubber gasket?

Just e rubber gasket fr my optra already abt $50. Add labour abt $100 already.

My old corona e rubber only abt $15 only n it lasts much longer.

About there. Urs super affordable.

While changing engine oil recently, my workshop informed me that my valve cover was leaking oil and needed fixing. So a replacement part was duly procured and I took the opportunity to look at the insides of my 1NZ-FE engine:

The cause of the oil leak. A perished rubber seal was the culprit. All these were meant to be one single rubber part.

All shiny and slick. The oil is dark because its 10,000km old.

Continued in the next post......

Very gd condition. Can see virtually no wear.

Ya maybe cos i know c@rlube triple r is a good oil. I using it fr maybe >10 yrs ever since it 1st started selling in SG.

Also cud b his ws dun hv this oil so he try to trick me into using some of e crappy oils he do have. Hahaha.

But seems funny other kaki here also use c@rlube n hv manifold gasket leak? Maybe it contains something that eats e rubber gasket?

Unless the oil is aeroplane oil.

Simple gasket change cost so much [knife] In Singapore.

Unless the oil is aeroplane oil.

Simple gasket change cost so much [knife] In Singapore.

Rubber gasket 50bucks n labour abt 50bucks. By SG standard is quite cheap already.

I go jb do only abt rm 120.

Wc workshop is that? The mech knows the sequence of fastening n torquing right? U have the specs?

Valve cover only la. No need to what torque specs. It's the valve head that needs it when you change head gasket.

↡ Advertisement