Daihatsu Materia/Toyota bB

Daredarr

Hi all, I've done a search in this forum to find out more abt Materia or bB and realised the postings were dated way back to 2007/2008. Can't seem to find any recent postings of this 2 models. Have to apologise if this is deem a repeated post/thread.

Am looking to buy a used 2008 Materia and would seriously appreciate if any folks driving such models to share more abt their ride. Things like FC, maintenance, pro & cons abt this model etc.

Tried to google also for any car club or forum, but to no avail......

Thanks in advance

↡ Advertisement

Hi all, I've done a search in this forum to find out more abt Materia or bB and realised the postings were dated way back to 2007/2008. Can't seem to find any recent postings of this 2 models. Have to apologise if this is deem a repeated post/thread.

Am looking to buy a used 2008 Materia and would seriously appreciate if any folks driving such models to share more abt their ride. Things like FC, maintenance, pro & cons abt this model etc.

Thanks in advance

One unique looking car..

Have sat in one before. Big and spacious i must say. The speedo is in the centre, something that you might want to get used to. Ride quality is good however i notice the sound insulation is not so good, especially once you hit the expressway.

One unique looking car..

Have sat in one before. Big and spacious i must say. The speedo is in the centre, something that you might want to get used to. Ride quality is good however i notice the sound insulation is not so good, especially once you hit the expressway.

Yup, the 'uniqueness' is one of the reasons why I like this car.

I've test driven the car before on minor road for a short distance thus can't really tell how the insulation is.

Indeed I'm not too used to the speedo console....but jus love how it looks.

Yup, the 'uniqueness' is one of the reasons why I like this car.

I've test driven the car before on minor road for a short distance thus can't really tell how the insulation is.

Indeed I'm not too used to the speedo console....but jus love how it looks.

Just curious.. Why not consider Soul?

One unique looking car..

What a nice way to term it.. unique!!. Yup, this type of design is either you like it or hate it.. no in between. . [:p]

Just curious.. Why not consider Soul?

Not too into kimchi ride, bro.

Tho Soul carries a touch of uniqueness but IMO its still more 'safe' to buy a Jap car. I might be too skeptical on this opinion and no offence to the Soul owners out there. It's just based on my experience of owning a kimchi car previously.

Tho Soul carries a touch of uniqueness but IMO its still more 'safe' to buy a Jap car. I might be too skeptical on this opinion and no offence to the Soul owners out there. It's just based on my experience of owning a kimchi car previously.

Haha.. true that.. well.. from what I see.. looks spacious.. quite heighty also.. can zhng nicely one.. [rolleyes][rolleyes]

What a nice way to term it.. unique!!. Yup, this type of design is either you like it or hate it.. no in between. . [:p]

Think it very much boils down to individual acceptance level of such 'not so norm' looking car.

A lot of pple say it looks like a hearse while some say it is very stylo. I fall under the latter category. lol

true true.. lol.. either you criticise it to the max or you really sayang it.. [laugh]

As you can tell, the bB and Materia are twins. They both run on a Toyota engine and should be reliable. The Materia is probably a better buy than the bB as it is agent supported and we also get the Euro-spec Materias here. Love the MOMO steering wheel in the high spec version.

I nearly bought this car some years ago for my wife.

The showroom in the West is such a dump though... makes me feel like the agent will fold up. But perhaps they are spending their money on more impt things like workshop support... hopefully anyway.

What kimchi car did you previously own? Just curious.

Thanks in advance

Pros:

- very stable for such a tall car

- very unique (if Singapore snows one day, you can still find yours)

- very spacious

Cons:

- very noisy (forget it if you are going for lowering, upsizing rims. It will make your interior very boomy. I sat in one with upsized rims + eibach lowering springs, the car rides like kena hailstorm attack). [laugh]

- lousy fuel economy (if you think Toyota has very fuel efficient engine, you will be very disappointed. It does not help that the boxy shape requires the engine to work overtime to cut through the winds).

Edited by Kangadrool

Thanks in advance

Hi Bro,

I used to own an 08 Materia or 'Mattie' as it was fondly called. Back then, there was a forum that was called the BB Materia Club but I'm not sure if it's still active as a lot of bros/sis have moved on.

FC was quite ok on the materia if you're not heavy footed but it's definitely (IMO) not meant for spirited driving even if you upgrade your rims (stock was 14" if I recall & I changed mine to 16"). With moderate driving (50/50 city, highway), I could hit around 500km on a tank of Ron98.

Maintenance wise, I used to send it to STS Kallang (but the service standard wasn't up to my expectations so I went elsewhere after 2 incidents).

The only pro I can safely say is that it's huge inside & if you opt for the Bb which is available in 1.3 or 1.5, there are more options available for after market parts. Lots of bros that I knew did a lot of ICE with their rides & it looked really nice ...

Cons:

small boot.

look/design is definitely not for everyone.

Thanks in advance

There used to be a club BMC (BB Materia Club) not sure if its still active.

Owned it for five years, its been a reliable ride, only changed one engine mount in the fourth year.

Thank you all for the inputs.

Have eventually bought the car liao.

Its a 08 registered car. Previous owner upgraded the rim to 17' with low profile tires...hope that wouldn't affect my FC too much. The car will be driven mostly by my wifey, I'll usually drive only during weekends :)

She's more light footed than me....so am keeping my fingers crossed regarding FC. lol

So far the feel of the drive is ok. Second row seat not that broad but good enuff for my 2 rascals. Leg room aplenty. Boot space not too big but shld be just nice for me cos I dun have too much things to carry.

As for the car club, I think it's not active anymore cos couldn't go in anymore.

Hope there are still enuff owners ard to exchange pointers abt this car. Lots to learn still.....

Hyundai Accent.....many many years back tho

I see.. Hyundai Getz was the last "bad" Hyundai IMO.. all models from Avante onwards are much better now. Go to the showroom and have a look.

↡ Advertisement