Auto car: Free gear when down slope.

Rogersk8ter

Anyone here drives an auto car and shift to free gear when going down slope or cruise to a stop before reaching a traffic light?

I tried doing that for one full tank and realised it actually save a fair bit of fuel.

But that will also increase in ware n tear of the gears?

Do u agree to such driving habit?

I didn't try before on an auto car, but hey if it works for you - great! with petrol prices so high, a little go a long way [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

I gave up this saving fuel thing long ago. It doesn't make much difference every month and won't save you much.

I prefer engine brake. In fact, I sometimes I will use my manual over-ride to downshift.

I know taxi drivers like to do this neutral gear thingy though.

I didn't try before on an auto car, but hey if it works for you - great! with petrol prices so high, a little go a long way [thumbsup]

ya dan when ur gearbox up lorry, u will end up spending more dan u save on ur fuel... y ppl like to shift here and there on auto? doesnt make sense to me since u chose to drive auto car dan drive it like auto... if not, go get urself a manual...

somemore downslope, y make urself so difficult? tapping on brake works very well when going downslope...

I gave up this saving fuel thing long ago. It doesn't make much difference every month and won't save you much.

I prefer engine brake. In fact, I sometimes I will use my manual over-ride to downshift.

I know taxi drivers like to do this neutral gear thingy though.

Cab drivers dun care about parts maintenance. Any thing spoilt, the cab company will repair FOC. That's why cab drivers will

whack the car on the road.

We private car owners are different. We pay everything ourselves

If putting to N is dangerous while coasting to a stop, I wonder why newer cars like Golf has this system that decouples the transmission input once the accelerator is off the foot? While coasting to a stop in neutral, I believe those who do it is wise enough to judge the situation before doing this. For auto I heard doing so will do more harm to the gearbox while letting it coasts to a stop in N. For manual there is no problem at all...

I once read that newer cars have this fuel cut off supply once the accelerator is off the foot but still in gear and that is to save fuel. On real life scenario, I have tried both coasting in neutral at safe conditions and lifting off the accelerator while leaving in gear, I got to say coasting in neutral still saves more fuel... And I drive a manual, just declutch and clutch in should I need engine brake.

And so now you know why VW is famous for gear box failures?

Dumb, don't do that.

Most Japanese cars already freewheel even when in D. The TC lockup only occurs on higher gears for older cars, so most of the time it is "free" from the torque converter. How to tell? When you lift off, your RPM falls very drastically. That means no TC lockup.

If you drive one of those newer Japanese cars you may get TC lockup at earlier gears giving you proper engine brake but why you want to save that few drops (literally) of fuel? Some cars even cut of fuel injection when you lift off in gear, and when you put it to N it will get back on fuel to keep it idling. ANd when you slam the gearbox back into D you are putting undue stress on it.

Don't do that. Your gearbox costs more to repair.

Edited by Detach8

The proper way is to switch off the engine while driving down slope.

Confirm save petrol.

I know you are joking but I hope nobody go and try that.

It is EXTERMELY dangerous. You will lose your brakes when the engines are off.

I know you are joking but I hope nobody go and try that.

It is EXTERMELY dangerous. You will lose your brakes when the engines are off.

our fren being cynical lah....cos TS asking such a silly Qn....sheesh.... [:p] [:p]

for manual car(unless when going down slope), I feel its ok to engage neutral gear and allow it to roll to a stop when reaching a traffic light junction. of cos not when you are 100m away from the junction la...This will base on experience and drivers' judgement..I don't know about the rest.. but when I drive manual car, even if I don't roll the car, I will still shift to neutral when waiting at traffic light..my knees gone liao..

Edited by Baphomet

Quite a silly thing to do actually. Dangerous and u r wearing out your brake pads.

The correct way is to engage low gear "L" or equivalent and let the engine control your down slope

TS has been posting some silly stuff here. Prob school holidays r here again.

Hahaha. [laugh]

Wah u veli notti. Teach pple how to crash car. :ph34r:

i rather he crash then get off road than take a few lives w him....

U also veli notti. Modulator summore. Tsk tsk.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

you see, 'power comes with a very high responsibility' (uncle parker)

we need to rid of those who threaten the envt, and system...dunch u agree??

↡ Advertisement