When to change battery

Dumb

My amaron is only lasting about 2 years. I need to change my style of starting the car. Often i just ignite and go without touching anything on the console...

Yes, change your way of using the battery and you will extend its life.

I've seen a few Amaron's passing 3 yrs and reaching 4 yrs.

The only other batteries, I've seen doing that are Mercedes Varta (made in Germany) and BMW, but those batteries are also protected from heat and located out of the engine compartment.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

First, take care of your battery.

1. Reduce its load during cranking - Switch off aircon/lights before cranking. If you have manual gear, clutched in before cranking.

Bro, what's the benefit of clutched in before cranking ?? [confused]

Bro, what's the benefit of clutched in before cranking ?? [confused]

Clutch in, separates the transmission from the engine.

So when you crank, you only make the battery turn the engine and not turn engine + transmission.

Less stress on the battery and the battery will last longer.

However, this does not work for auto gear.

Supercharged

Clutch in, separates the transmission from the engine.

So when you crank, you only make the battery turn the engine and not turn engine + transmission.

Less stress on the battery and the battery will last longer.

However, this does not work for auto gear.

Thanks. [cool]

if you have the discipline,

- turn on aircon only after driving for 5 mins;

- turn off radio, aircon 5 mins before reaching destination;

- switched off auto this auto that, i.e. interior lights when door is opened, auto headlight, auto wiper....

- do not use aircon and radio for short commute of less than 15 mins

As for me and my Getz, I used Amaron Hi-Life BH85D23R for almost 3 years. After reading positive review of Yuasa Eco-R battery, I decided to switch it to Yuasa Eco-R on last Monday at Kim and Hoe at Ubi Road One. Luckily the boss there said my old Amaron Hi-Life was about to go finish after running battery test diagnostic (for free and the test took less than 2 minutes). He also said Amaron good and I asked him about Yuasa Eco-R and he said that brand is made in Japan and could be better than Amaron. After considering for Amaron ($120) and Yuasa Eco-R($135), I decided to choose latter.

After two day of using Yuasa Eco-R battery, it was bit noisy and "shaky" while driving. But after third day onwards, it suddenly went quiet and smooth. It surely made me feel relieved as I was skeptical about Yuasa Eco-R at first.

But I hope it can last up to three years. Let's see how it goes by.

- switched off auto this auto that, i.e. interior lights when door is opened, auto headlight, auto wiper....

Wah lau bro, I rather change battery every 2 years.

Jit tong cheng!

• Praise 1

Like that might as well change to deep cycle battery. No need to change battery for 10 yrs

Like that might as well change to deep cycle battery. No need to change battery for 10 yrs

Deep cycle battery is built differently. It can't produce enough burst of energy to start engine.

It's built with thicker lead plates meant for deep discharge, like those use on golf carts and forklifts.

Starting battery has thinner but bigger and more plates meant for starting engine.

It's a question of cost and needs, you like you can get a hybrid deep cycle battery that is designed for high rate discharge - for starting the vehicle and at the same time has the characteristic of a traction battery.

My current Amaron Battery - HI-LIFE 55B24LS 45Ah@C20, has been running fine for more than 3 years since 18 Nov 2011. Previous few batteries also last more than 3 years.

Good practice does help to prolong the life span and till now, has been a habit for me of doing it when starting and cut off the engine.

1) Gadget such as radio, air-con, and fan are off when starting the car. Likewise, when cutting off the engine.

2) Clutch in when start to crank the car.

Generally, short distance travel everyday may not charge the battery completely and reduce the life span over the time.

Deep cycle battery is built differently. It can't produce enough burst of energy to start engine.

It's built with thicker lead plates meant for deep discharge, like those use on golf carts and forklifts.

Starting battery has thinner but bigger and more plates meant for starting engine.

How about AGM battery?

How about AGM battery?

AGM batteries are more like starter battery.

However they have "starved" electrolyte, not wet. Some people would call them dry cell.

But the charging voltage is slightly lower than normal car, about 13.5V.

It's sensitive to overcharge.

If your car is not built to charge AGM battery properly, it can go bad quickly.

• Praise 2

I've changed out a AGM battery on a Sonata. It lasted barely one year.

The problem is Sonata is not built to handle AGM battery.

It's charging voltage at 14.4v is detrimental to AGM.

Mercedes and BMW on the other hand can handle AGM battery.

Bcuz our weather is hot, it's not advisable to use starved electrolyte like AGM, gell-type.

Always use flooded or wet-cell where possible.

I believe it's bcuz the water absorbed the heat and buffer it. Without the water buffering, the heat goes straight to the lead plate. And the battery don't last long.

AGM batteries are more like starter battery.

However they have "starved" electrolyte, not wet. Some people would call them dry cell.

But the charging voltage is slightly lower than normal car, about 13.5V.

It's sensitive to overcharge.

If your car is not built to charge AGM battery properly, it can go bad quickly.

Hi KB

My battery is more than 2 yrs, let say bought spare battery and keep

inside boots packaging unopened can damage the battery due to weather

condition.

↡ Advertisement