Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

The usual 3G hols were the resorts or cruises. Road trip of this size (potentially up to 15 pax) is a record itself should it materialise.

A 2 MPV convoy should be easier than a 4 car convoy, I guess. Hiring a bus with driver is another option but should be more expensive.

Right now those working trying to block their leave to pin down a common date.

Wah piang... 15 pax is either play basketball 3 teams round robin, or form football team with 4 substitutes already [sweatdrop]

you the man to even contemplate this [thumbsup]

If all big-size, then 2 MPVs will likely not be enough. Long distance drives, better to seat more comfortably, as in 2/2/2 in MPV. Besides, you'll likely need quite a bit of luggage space too.

If got some kids, and everyone is prepared to squeeze a bit to fit into 2 MPVs, then your best bet is the Hyundai iMax there, can seat 2/3/3 without anyone needing to 'intrude' into another's space. Got ample luggage space too.

Kia Carnival might be ok too. It drives much better but space-wise loses out, and luggage space might be a stretch.

Toyota Previa is a no-no. Confirm not enough luggage space, cos half of the sunken boot is occupied by a spare tyre.

Good luck on the plan.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

15 pax, you need at least 3x 7 seater.. 5 in each car and rest for luggage space.

Good luck in finding accommodation as well..

Wah piang... 15 pax is either play basketball 3 teams round robin, or form football team with 4 substitutes already [sweatdrop]

you the man to even contemplate this [thumbsup]

If all big-size, then 2 MPVs will likely not be enough. Long distance drives, better to seat more comfortably, as in 2/2/2 in MPV. Besides, you'll likely need quite a bit of luggage space too.

If got some kids, and everyone is prepared to squeeze a bit to fit into 2 MPVs, then your best bet is the Hyundai iMax there, can seat 2/3/3 without anyone needing to 'intrude' into another's space. Got ample luggage space too.

Kia Carnival might be ok too. It drives much better but space-wise loses out, and luggage space might be a stretch.

Toyota Previa is a no-no. Confirm not enough luggage space, cos half of the sunken boot is occupied by a spare tyre.

Good luck on the plan.

Thanks bro, it's definitely a challenge.

Those looking for decent cafe food on the way to PI can consider this place.

https://goo.gl/maps/PrJ11U4cDEdkKGFd8

It's nested within the residential area, with views of the bay and area for kids to play around.

I chanced upon it while driving to PI last weekend..

For those with kids. There's feeding of pelicans at San Remo's Fisherman co-op every noon time supposedly.

At least this is from a blog i read.

15 pax, you need at least 3x 7 seater.. 5 in each car and rest for luggage space.

Good luck in finding accommodation as well..

Thanks. Any idea about hiring a bus with driver?

Turbocharged

I see. Many thanks.

Depends on location, i think accommodation shouldn't be an issue, use booking.com and select how many pax, it'll tell you how many rooms you need..

Places along GOR shouldn't be any issue..

(edited)

Ok 16 pax with flights booked for a road trip in Melbourne.  below is a prelim itintenary. Stretched a 7 day road trip found online to 10. Are there alternative stops (overnight ones) along GOR since we are travelling a a large group (ages below 10 to 70s)?  Aim for no rush and comfort. Current plan is to hire 4 x 7 seater MPVs or 4 combi for better handling?

Any thots? Many thanks!

Staying at airport hotel after touch down on day 0.

Day 1: Melbourne – Phillip Island (1 night)

Day 2 -3: Phillip Island – Mornington Peninsula (2 nights)

Day 4-5: Mornington Penisula - Apollo Bay (2 nights)

Day 6: Apollo Bay – Twelve Apostles – Warrnambool (1 night)

Day 7: Warrnambool – Farmstay (1 night)

Day 8-10: Farmstay – Melbourne (3 nights)

Edited by TangoCharlie
  • Praise 2

Ok 16 pax with flights booked for a road trip in Melbourne.  below is a prelim itintenary. Stretched a 7 day road trip found online to 10. Are there alternative stops (overnight ones) along GOR since we are travelling a a large group (ages below 10 to 70s)?  Aim for no rush and comfort. Current plan is to hire 4 x 7 seater MPVs or 4 combi for better handling?

Any thots? Many thanks!

I'm not doing any farmstay.

But going either bundoora or Collingwood while in melbourne.

(edited)

Day 1 - arrival at night, airbnb near airport

Day 2 - drive to GOR, stay at Apollo Bay

Day 3 - GOR, stay overnight at Geelong

Day 4 - Fairy Park then go to Melbourne

Day 5-6 melbourne

Day 7 - phillip island

Day 8 - return to melbourne

Day 9 - melbourne F&E
Day 10 - return to SG

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Day 1 - arrival at night, airbnb near airport

Day 2 - drive to GOR, stay at Apollo Bay

Day 3 - GOR, stay overnight at Geelong

Day 4 - Fairy Park then go to Melbourne

Day 5-6 melbourne

Day 7 - phillip island

Day 8 - return to melbourne

Day 9 - melbourne F&E

Day 10 - return to SG

Suggest u drive down to Philip Island via Mornington Peninsula and then from Sorento take the car ferry to Queensclift then GOR. More scenic. The drive from Geelong to GOR is quite unmemorable

Suggest u drive down to Philip Island via Mornington Peninsula and then from Sorento take the car ferry to Queensclift then GOR. More scenic. The drive from Geelong to GOR is quite unmemorable

Yeah, originally that was my plan, then just end in melbourne.

But due to the price of the tickets and availability, opted for a start on tues, end on thurs trip.

So wanted to be in melbourne CBD over the wkend. Since victoria market is closed on mon, wed.

Next trip, then do mornington peninsula, car ferry then drive up to Grampians.

Our first trip there, so giving some spots a miss, next time then go.

Supersonic
(edited)

Yeah, originally that was my plan, then just end in melbourne.

But due to the price of the tickets and availability, opted for a start on tues, end on thurs trip.

So wanted to be in melbourne CBD over the wkend. Since victoria market is closed on mon, wed.

Next trip, then do mornington peninsula, car ferry then drive up to Grampians.

Our first trip there, so giving some spots a miss, next time then go.

Queen Victoria Mkt not worth the trouble to do a special detour. It's just a covered pasar malam

U missed out St.Kilda. Definitely gotta do a weekend thingy there

Edited by Soya

Queen Victoria Mkt not worth the trouble to do a special detour. It's just a covered pasar malam

U missed out St.Kilda. Definitely gotta do a weekend thingy there

only worth going on wkends? 

I'm quite chill, cos looks like i'll be going again some time in the near future again after this year's trip. 

Any thots? Many thanks!

I would suggest you to include Grampians as it offers something very contrast from the sea views along GOR. The place is mountainous, very ulu and tranquil, with reasonable walking paths that are accessible by cars. For me, from Apollo Bay to Warrnambol is only about 2.5hrs, will pass by Twelve Apostles, no need to spend a night there. 

Day 6: Apollo Bay – Twelve Apostles – Warrnambool – Farmstay (1 night)

Day 7: Grampians National Park (2 night)

Day 8-10: Farmstay – Melbourne (2 nights)

• Praise 1

Supersonic

only worth going on wkends?

I'm quite chill, cos looks like i'll be going again some time in the near future again after this year's trip.

St.Kilda is a seaside town so it's quite festive on weekends. I popped by QV Market early in the morning and then took a direct tram nearby down to St.Kilda. Easy peasy

Oso rented a bike at St.Kilda to cycle along the coast to the famous Brighton Bathing Boxes. Good fun

post-1105-0-34509300-1563178494_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-59710600-1563178504_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-24049700-1563178516_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1