Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

Oh yes! We are staying in Eltham. One of the shop here selling fish and chips has the best fries I've ever eaten. Crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside....

Today no plan, so just laze around. Just came back from Doncaster's Westfield and circled around Boxhill.... Damn lot of chinese. Finally dropped by Greensborough to buy some supplements from a chemist shop there.... Very cheap on that shop. Lots of people queuing inside the shop to pay.

We had 烧腊 at Little Bourke Street. Nice! The whole place have lots of Malaysian food also...

Eltham park every Sunday got mini train ride, if got kids they would love it.

↡ Advertisement

Video guide to "Hook Turns" on Aussies street. For the benefit for those who's driving in Melbourne for the 1st time and wanna enjoy the tripe with you and love ones safely...

Don't forget to give a thumbs up to this You-tuber.

Budget is very popular, cheaper than Avis and Hertz. If need a GPS, cheaper to bring your own Garmin GPS (if you have one) to Australia, because to rent one in Australia is around AUD$10-$20 per day.

http://www.budget.com.au/default.aspx?IATA...t%2Bhire%2Bcars

Watch out for the infamous Hook Turn.

hook-turn.jpg

post-190274-1246930638.jpg

Noticed no one mentioned the St Kilda's market: http://www.stkildaesplanademarket.com.au/index.htm

Happens every Sunday, and has a lot of very cool handicraft stalls you can get holiday gifts for your friends. I remember seeing a stall with jewelry made from forks and spoons :D also got things like wax seals, homemade soaps etc. Got cheap stuff and the expensive kind too, so need to compare prices, but quite worth a visit.

Last few nights was frantically finalising the car rental for my Melbourne trip starting tomorrow. And thought it good to share this lobang if you getting from Hertz.

I not familiar with other car rental companies, but for Hertz can book either through sg site or au site. I am expecting pricing to be same, so had been perplexed that for a 5 days rental period of same car and max insurance coverage, there is a AUD50 difference over the last few days. Eventually pinned it down to difference on web portal - sg or au! For sg site would come to about AUD470 while au site wld be AUD520.

Granted 50 bucks is nothing much, but still good money for that few minutes of effort. Would be more if renting for longer period haha.

what about vroomvroomvroom

always best price and no payment until you collect the car

the best part was ... i booked hertz thru vroomvroomvroom and then when i reached there super duper long Q ...

the waiting time is like no 1-2 hrs no talk

then i went to next counter and get a Europcar at cheaper price ... same model

1/2 hr settle and drive off ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

Anyone rented car from Melbourne airport recently?

Can share your experience or recommendation?

Saw Bargain car rental but not sure if it’s ok. Anyone rented from them before?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Rented a X-trail through Hertz, being upgraded to a turbo Forester at the counter. No complain as the car only clocked 400km and almost fresh from showroom.

Have used Hertz a few times the last 2 years, abit pricey but always getting good service and being upgraded to better cars, and very clean too. If you want to get the cheapest quote then look elsewhere lah.

Bear in mind car rental companies that have outlets in airport terminal will charge abit higher compare to those that need customers to take a shuttle service to further-out locations where their outlets are located. Personally i will gladly pay the slight premium to have the convenience and comfort. It will also be very messy to have to transfer your lugguages around if you need to take shuttle buses, especially for big group.

But i not atas, so generally i will also compare the rates from those aggregate portals like vroomvroom and rentalcars.com as well as sites such as europecars and hertz for comparison. Do take into considerations the flight times and itinerary planned and the group demography and size. Not difficult just need to know what you want.

Rented a X-trail through Hertz, being upgraded to a turbo Forester at the counter. No complain as the car only clocked 400km and almost fresh from showroom.

Have used Hertz a few times the last 2 years, abit pricey but always getting good service and being upgraded to better cars, and very clean too. If you want to get the cheapest quote then look elsewhere lah.

Bear in mind car rental companies that have outlets in airport terminal will charge abit higher compare to those that need customers to take a shuttle service to further-out locations where their outlets are located. Personally i will gladly pay the slight premium to have the convenience and comfort. It will also be very messy to have to transfer your lugguages around if you need to take shuttle buses, especially for big group.

But i not atas, so generally i will also compare the rates from those aggregate portals like vroomvroom and rentalcars.com as well as sites such as europecars and hertz for comparison. Do take into considerations the flight times and itinerary planned and the group demography and size. Not difficult just need to know what you want.

Thanks for the detailed info bro, appreciate it.

Noticed their excess is damn high, almost $4000AUD?!

Thanks for the detailed info bro, appreciate it.

Noticed their excess is damn high, almost $4000AUD?!

Common across all rental shops. Must pay for the additional coverage with zero excess. Driving no worry about mishaps, when return car also no need to check.

If not have to use credit card or cash for advance payment that will be refunded when returning car. Standard practice.

• Praise 1

Thanks.

I booked from Apex car rental.

Paid for their full insurance coverage. Dont want to go thru the hassel of being charge ding and dang.

Going Melbourne next month.

I booked from Apex car rental.

Paid for their full insurance coverage. Dont want to go thru the hassel of being charge ding and dang.

Going Melbourne next month.

Thanks bro.

From their website?

I going in March but for 3 days only.

Its better to pay more for better coverage

I saw on Expedia can buy the Rental car excess insurance. Is that good enough?
  • Praise 1

I saw on Expedia can buy the Rental car excess insurance. Is that good enough?

bro, check out --> 

https://www.rentalcover.com/

https://tripcover.com.au/index.php

They cover the exhorbitant excess charged by major OZ rental companies for a decent (acceptable) fee

iirc, Tripcover is underwritten by Allianz. I bought for my Perth trip in 2017. 

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 3

Thanks bro.

From their website?

I going in March but for 3 days only.

Generally there is more discount if you book more than 5 days. But for your case, can't do anything about it.

Saw Bargain car rental but not sure if itâs ok. Anyone rented from them before?

Thanks.

Honestly won’t recommend. Rent from them last Dec. Collection and drop off is not in airport and need shuttle bus about 8 to 10 min away. Cars has high mileage and staff not friendly and everything refer you to website for info which is not that informative.
  • Praise 2

Honestly wonât recommend. Rent from them last Dec. Collection and drop off is not in airport and need shuttle bus about 8 to 10 min away. Cars has high mileage and staff not friendly and everything refer you to website for info which is not that informative.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Will give them a miss.

Guess cheap come at a price.

bro, check out --> 

https://www.rentalcover.com/

https://tripcover.com.au/index.php

They cover the exhorbitant excess charged by major OZ rental companies for a decent (acceptable) fee

iirc, Tripcover is underwritten by Allianz. I bought for my Perth trip in 2017. 

Check out travel insurance like Income.  They do cover rental car excess.

↡ Advertisement