Australia: Car Rental in Melbourne

Tjkbeluga

Check out travel insurance like Income. They do cover rental car excess.

It’s not even enough bro.

Theirs highest for rental car excess is $2500.

In OZ, the average for excess is $40000 sia...

↡ Advertisement

It’s not even enough bro.

Theirs highest for rental car excess is $2500.

In OZ, the average for excess is $40000 sia...

4K? Can't be 40K......

And if anything more than 4K that's some serious damage.  I would take the risk of the balance 1.5K.

Once I was charged about 200 plus for a stone chip on the wind screen in NZ.  I blame myself for not checking thoroughly when taking over.

Recently kena speed trap though over in GC.  Exceeded by 9km/h only, AUD174!  Watch out!

• Praise 1

Honestly won’t recommend. Rent from them last Dec. Collection and drop off is not in airport and need shuttle bus about 8 to 10 min away. Cars has high mileage and staff not friendly and everything refer you to website for info which is not that informative.

Did you face any issue when returning the car (as in charge you for damages, etc)? You bought the $0 excess from them? 

4K? Can't be 40K......

And if anything more than 4K that's some serious damage.  I would take the risk of the balance 1.5K.

Once I was charged about 200 plus for a stone chip on the wind screen in NZ.  I blame myself for not checking thoroughly when taking over.

Recently kena speed trap though over in GC.  Exceeded by 9km/h only, AUD174!  Watch out!

Haha...yah...$4K.

typo error... 

Edited by Fcw75

I've rented vehicles before in Gold Coast, Perth, and last month, in NZ.

Unfortunately never rented in Melbourne, so can't give specific advice.

But generally, the branded ones like Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc. are likely to be more expensive, but more convenient.

And if you're renting from these, here's some tips:

- don't rent the biggest class. There's a chance they might upgrade you to one class higher FOC. I couldn't benefit as i rented the biggest class already (a MPV or people mover, as they call it)

- if you want a specific vehicle, best to email them to check for availability first. I rented a 'Kia Carnival or equivalent'. On arrival, they gave me a Previa, and we had to sacrifice one seat to put luggage as luggage space is MUCH smaller.

- do more homework and check out prices on more websites. I have no idea why, but the same car type on same date, can vary from $900 to $1600 on different sites. And like what @heartlander said, even Hertz SG and Hertz Aust sites also have different prices. In my case last month, Hertz NZ gave a lower price, but cannot accumulate the Hertz member point from SG...

- the big boys have tie-ups with many banks or AA or other companies, to offer discounts. Try to get these discount/promo codes to put in when booking, and price will be cheaper. I suspect they don't verify these. E.g. a certain credit card from a certain bank got promo code. You can use another credit card to book, but still put in that promo code, and still get the discount.

On travel insurance and rental car excess cover, i also took some risk, and went with NTUC Income's excess cover of $2k, and didn't take up Hertz's extended insurance.

In fact, i've not bought the rental firm's insurance before, and just drove carefully. So far has not been charged for anything else before. Guess i'm also lucky, cos heard of some bad experiences both online and from relatives directly too.

Other tips:

- Must bring good sunglasses

- if need to navigate, download offline maps first, if you're going outside town. In NZ, i think 90% of the time there's no signal when on the move... Got local SIM card also no use. Maybe Melbourne is better, but no harm downloading the maps first.

- Speed limit can change dramatically quickly, from 100 to 65 to 35, all within maybe 500 m. Be careful.

- Get enough rest before driving. I even take power naps after lunch before driving. It was necessary...

• Praise 5

Other tips:

- Must bring good sunglasses

this !!! Once I forgot, wah the glare sibeh jialat. 

I add another. Remember to bring HP mount & USB charger adaptor ! 

this !!! Once I forgot, wah the glare sibeh jialat. 

I add another. Remember to bring HP mount & USB charger adaptor ! 

Yup yup, can be really terok, the sun there.

@fcw75

Just thought of one more, which i only tot of when i was driving there, but too late already... And it's really useful.

If you have those external TPMS in your car here, you should bring it along and put it in the rental car. I did ~1600 km there. It would have been much more reassuring if i know for sure the tyres were fine and the pressure was as recommended. So a TPMS would have been useful.

Oh yes, a second one:

If you're a AA member, there is reciprocal roadside assistance in Aust. If it ever happens, this could come in useful. I printed it out 2 yr ago when i went Perth and brought along. Like insurance, good thing i didn't need it.

take up full coverage with rental company

pay more for peace of mind. very worth it since you are on holiday

about aud40 per day covers zero excess, personal accident, roadside assist including lost key, tyre change and empty fuel tank (must pay for fuel though), theft including personal belongings and all damages to car

return car just park and throw key to them can le

in most of my car rental i take $0 excess

there was 1 time i kay kiang did not select $0 excess

when i return the car

the guy spot check the car from front to back to front to side and use finger to clean the car to see there are scratches

nabei ... check tougher than selecting gfs

piece of advice ... $0 excess ... some money has to spend

normally ... park car ... throw key ... sign ... can leave liao

that 1 time ... took me almost 20mins+ standing next to the car like i owe him a lot of $$

return car just park and throw key to them can le

Edited by Wt_know

in most of my car rental i take $0 excess

there was 1 time i kay kiang did not select $0 excess

when i return the car

the guy spot check the car from front to back to front to side and use finger to clean the car to see there are scratches

nabei ... check tougher than selecting gfs

piece of advice ... $0 excess ... some money has to spend

normally ... park car ... throw key ... sign ... can leave liao

that 1 time ... took me almost 20mins+ standing next to the car like i owe him a lot of $$

Worse if you are running a tight schedule to catch a connecting flight that has been planned swee swee without factoring the meticulous check.

Worse is if you then have to catch a shuttle bus from the rental outlet to airport with many lagguages with wife nagging you haha. 

My humble suggestion. Don’t stinge:

(1) get full coverage locally. Zero excess and not those ntuc income type hoh.. coz when u got to pay first and then claim hoh

(2) get a stand-alone gps. Either rent or get one 2nd hand from SG but make sure got Oz maps

(3) go for hertz.. their cars are new and v Low mileage. Those cheaper ones buy their cars From hertz..after high mileage..

You r going for holiday.. enjoy..

• Praise 1

My humble suggestion. Don’t stinge:

(1) get full coverage locally. Zero excess and not those ntuc income type hoh.. coz when u got to pay first and then claim hoh

(2) get a stand-alone gps. Either rent or get one 2nd hand from SG but make sure got Oz maps

(3) go for hertz.. their cars are new and v Low mileage. Those cheaper ones buy their cars From hertz..after high mileage..

You r going for holiday.. enjoy..

I booked from Apex car rental.

Paid for their full insurance coverage. Dont want to go thru the hassel of being charge ding and dang.

Going Melbourne next month.

Apex provide shuttle van to their premises. A good thing.

Prices cheaper and they offer zero excesd at 20plus per day.

Alternatively can use tripcover insurance to cover.

Like all bros here say. Get full excess better.

I did book with avis b4 but that was for perth trips.

A bit "shady" i feel. Maybe its just me.

I rem 1st time i booked online. Was to be billed say $400.00 but at counter when collecting the car. End up bill becomes like $500.00

2nd time i bookrd also got a bit of price diff.

But the pro is avis boh chap the condition of the car u return though.

• Praise 1

Saw this from Hertz Singapore...damn gian.

attachicon.gifD6D94392-D594-4A18-B44B-3B019DF3DE8F.png

My experience with Hertz was mixed.

negative: Gave me a smaller car

positive: did give me the car i wanted - when i complained - at the next convenient location

negative: cleaniness of replacement car not so good (maybe too rushed...)

positive: hassle-free return. Just drove there and parked, dropped off the keys at the booth. I looked at the person, and she said 'that's all'...

positive: no additional charges whatsoever; and the rate was i think quite good (NZ$820 for 9 days, for a MPV).

If you need promo code, can go banks or airlines to see if they have.

YOLO !!!

or you can get their Holden SV6

rented the sv6 wagon before but they don’t have the more powerful hsv v8 version

3.6l v6 drive at 90 km/h on highway... scared tio summon

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1