External Hard Disk - Reliable

Tungsl

I recently bought a external hard disk

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

it die on me and cannot be read because it is now RAW

had to go to a data recovery centre

the questions are:

1. are there any reliable reports on the most reliable hard disk for consumers (not talking about hard disk to be used in NASA space craft)

2. if yes what brand - Lacie

3. backup sounded a bit ridiculous, used a backup drive to backup another backup drive

4. most company writes life span of 5years but warranty only 3years

5. backup with DVD - any issues, backward compatibility

thanks

nope the answers provided will be useful for others too

↡ Advertisement

Too much costs cutting, even flash drive also got problem. Nothing is safe.

Yup, sounds funny - use external drive as backup and still need more backups for backup should the external drive fails. [rolleyes]

(edited)

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

the questions are:

1. are there any reliable reports on the most reliable hard disk for consumers (not talking about hard disk to be used in NASA space craft)

3. backup sounded a bit ridiculous, used a backup drive to backup another backup drive

thanks

duno what you are talking about?

go try and get enterprise grade hdd

Edited by Fireball0088

Do you practise safe withdrawal removal before unplugging? If not, make it a habit...

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

the questions are:

thanks

(edited)

I have several backups for the most important documents ie dropbox / google drive / skydrive / 2 hard drives and thumb drives. Difficult to keep in mind which one is most updated though!

I was thinking about SSD but very expensive.

Edited by Mcscot

I have several backups for the most important documents ie dropbox / google drive / skydrive / 2 hard drives and thumb drives. Difficult to keep in mind which one is most updated though!

I was thinking about SSD but very expensive.

SSD crash very hard to recover data.

I prefer to store still on traditional HDD.

Hi need your adv can dropbox be add to online sales website so that customers can access all the product flyers and instruction manuals.

Hi need your adv can dropbox be add to online sales website so that customers can access all the product flyers and instruction manuals.

just upload to your personal dropbox account and click on the metal chain icon to get the link so you can copy and paste the link for people to download pronto.

Do not share because sharing in Dropbox terms mean that the user can upload to your folder and possibly modify your documents and push it to the folder.

Thanks for the adv. My biggest fear is "customers" start uploading modified info and others and I will be in deep s--t.

Thanks for the adv. My biggest fear is "customers" start uploading modified info and others and I will be in deep s--t.

your concern is valid. so just copy the link and paste on your website. don't share any folders in drop box. that feature is meant more for cloud collaboration.

i also wanna check...

which brand of Ext HDD has an ethernet port?

i have an NAS but it sucks. now i just want an ext HDD with eth port

Supersonic

Too much costs cutting, even flash drive also got problem. Nothing is safe.

Yup, sounds funny - use external drive as backup and still need more backups for backup should the external drive fails. [rolleyes]

Like this must backup how many copies? :blink:

Anyway, no matter external hard disk or thumbdrive, nothing is safe. I have one thumbdrive, some photos inside just suddenly disappeared! [confused]

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

the questions are:

thanks

Never use external HDD to back up your data. Use DVD instead. External HDD is not reliable at all cos many things can fail especially the USB cable. I don't use external HDD anymore. Only use DVD. Make 2 copies instead of 1 and you won't lose your data. Please bear in mind that you'll have to replace the DVD every 10 years to avoid DVD failure.

Hypersonic

Never use external HDD to back up your data. Use DVD instead. External HDD is not reliable at all cos many things can fail especially the USB cable. I don't use external HDD anymore. Only use DVD. Make 2 copies instead of 1 and you won't lose your data. Please bear in mind that you'll have to replace the DVD every 10 years to avoid DVD failure.

My experience with DVD-+R is that by two year, there are degradation in the readability. Some by 3rd or 4th year, some files can't be read. The dye in the DVD-+R are not durable.

For me I think I'll get a NAS and set up RAID 1, and + back up the NAS for very important photos.

tape drive leh?

My experience with DVD-+R is that by two year, there are degradation in the readability. Some by 3rd or 4th year, some files can't be read. The dye in the DVD-+R are not durable.

For me I think I'll get a NAS and set up RAID 1, and + back up the NAS for very important photos.

Yup. But hopefully cloud storage will have increased in size by then.

Save time. Nas with raid 1 plus cloud

↡ Advertisement