• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic | 5 praises

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Tungsl
  • Tungsl
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I recently bought a external hard disk
backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks
it die on me and cannot be read because it is now RAW
had to go to a data recovery centre

the questions are:

1. are there any reliable reports on the most reliable hard disk for consumers (not talking about hard disk to be used in NASA space craft)
2. if yes what brand - Lacie
3. backup sounded a bit ridiculous, used a backup drive to backup another backup drive
4. most company writes life span of 5years but warranty only 3years
5. backup with DVD - any issues, backward compatibility

thanks

nope the answers provided will be useful for others too

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Too much costs cutting, even flash drive also got problem. Nothing is safe.

Yup, sounds funny - use external drive as backup and still need more backups for backup should the external drive fails. rolleyes.gif

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Fireball0088
  • Premium member
    Fireball0088
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

the questions are:

1. are there any reliable reports on the most reliable hard disk for consumers (not talking about hard disk to be used in NASA space craft)
3. backup sounded a bit ridiculous, used a backup drive to backup another backup drive

thanks

duno what you are talking about?

go try and get enterprise grade hdd

Edited by Fireball0088, 08 March 2013 - 12:29 PM.

PSN ID = hsb0088

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Tjkbeluga
  • Premium member
    Tjkbeluga
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Do you practise safe withdrawal removal before unplugging? If not, make it a habit...

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

the questions are:

thanks

Latio Premium Sedan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Mcscot
  • Premium member
    Mcscot
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I have several backups for the most important documents ie dropbox / google drive / skydrive / 2 hard drives and thumb drives. Difficult to keep in mind which one is most updated though!

I was thinking about SSD but very expensive.

Edited by Mcscot, 08 March 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I have several backups for the most important documents ie dropbox / google drive / skydrive / 2 hard drives and thumb drives. Difficult to keep in mind which one is most updated though!

I was thinking about SSD but very expensive.

SSD crash very hard to recover data.
I prefer to store still on traditional HDD.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Hi need your adv can dropbox be add to online sales website so that customers can access all the product flyers and instruction manuals.
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi need your adv can dropbox be add to online sales website so that customers can access all the product flyers and instruction manuals.

just upload to your personal dropbox account and click on the metal chain icon to get the link so you can copy and paste the link for people to download pronto.

Do not share because sharing in Dropbox terms mean that the user can upload to your folder and possibly modify your documents and push it to the folder.

1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Thanks for the adv. My biggest fear is "customers" start uploading modified info and others and I will be in deep s--t.
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Thanks for the adv. My biggest fear is "customers" start uploading modified info and others and I will be in deep s--t.

your concern is valid. so just copy the link and paste on your website. don't share any folders in drop box. that feature is meant more for cloud collaboration.
1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i also wanna check...

which brand of Ext HDD has an ethernet port?

i have an NAS but it sucks. now i just want an ext HDD with eth port

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Subutai
  • Premium member
    Subutai
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Dropbox cloud storage...
Keeping quiet doesn't mean that I agree with you, it means I am evaluating you.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Too much costs cutting, even flash drive also got problem. Nothing is safe.

Yup, sounds funny - use external drive as backup and still need more backups for backup should the external drive fails. rolleyes.gif

Like this must backup how many copies? blink.gif

Anyway, no matter external hard disk or thumbdrive, nothing is safe. I have one thumbdrive, some photos inside just suddenly disappeared! confused.gif
Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

try GTECH drives. Expensive wor.

can get from Convergent booth at IT show

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Manmaster

backup plus seagate 3T

after 2 weeks

the questions are:

thanks

Never use external HDD to back up your data. Use DVD instead. External HDD is not reliable at all cos many things can fail especially the USB cable. I don't use external HDD anymore. Only use DVD. Make 2 copies instead of 1 and you won't lose your data. Please bear in mind that you'll have to replace the DVD every 10 years to avoid DVD failure.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Never use external HDD to back up your data. Use DVD instead. External HDD is not reliable at all cos many things can fail especially the USB cable. I don't use external HDD anymore. Only use DVD. Make 2 copies instead of 1 and you won't lose your data. Please bear in mind that you'll have to replace the DVD every 10 years to avoid DVD failure.

My experience with DVD-+R is that by two year, there are degradation in the readability. Some by 3rd or 4th year, some files can't be read. The dye in the DVD-+R are not durable.

For me I think I'll get a NAS and set up RAID 1, and + back up the NAS for very important photos.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

tape drive leh?

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My experience with DVD-+R is that by two year, there are degradation in the readability. Some by 3rd or 4th year, some files can't be read. The dye in the DVD-+R are not durable.

For me I think I'll get a NAS and set up RAID 1, and + back up the NAS for very important photos.

Yup. But hopefully cloud storage will have increased in size by then.
Save time. Nas with raid 1 plus cloud

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Nicholas
  • Premium member
    Nicholas
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Why not blu-ray? It's highly scratch resistant compared to dvd.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Manmaster

Why not blu-ray? It's highly scratch resistant compared to dvd.

I also consider cost when i do back up. I read that those gold coated disc would be able to last 30 years but not sure true or not. Ordinary DVD should be able to last 10 years but will depend on the climatic condition. If you live near the sea, I can only say bad luck...hee hee hee.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users