Neighbourhood or Elite Primary School

Caldina

i putting my kids into Pei Chun Primary not bcos of elite or neighbourhood. [laugh]

But rather the school population consist practically 99% all chinese race. [grin]

And only a small small handfull of Foreign PRs and other races. Less than 1%.

My ah boy gona register for next year P1 under Phase 1 via her sister currently in P4.

Her sister got in via Phase 2A2 bcos her daddy was ex-pupil.

The best is, the school is just opposite our block. Our kid can have sufficient sleep until 6.30am, ready for school by 7am. ^_^

Edited by Hiphiphoray
↡ Advertisement

i putting my kids into Pei Chun Primary not bcos of elite or neighbourhood. [laugh]

But rather the school population consist practically 99% all chinese race. [grin]

My ah boy gona register for next year P1 under Phase 1 via her sister currently in P4.

The best is, the school is just opposite our block. Our kid can have sufficient sleep until 6.30am, ready for school by 7am. ^_^

Damn haolian, later people complain against you... [laugh]

Some people do parent volunteer + donate money, still have to ballot to get their kids into that school.

yalor, i also never haolian that the sap school my kids go to also opposite our block, some more i am not the alumni nor volunteer, just pure lucky kena ballot in [laugh] [laugh]

Some people do parent volunteer + donate money, still have to ballot to get their kids into that school.

Turbocharged

To my mind this is a reason NOT to put kid in that school.

Mine attends the closest school - Mee Toh.

this one also majority chinese right?

Which is better?

no matter which school you send your child to.. no matter which best tuition centre you send your child to.. it all depends on your child whether he want to study or not..

My $0.02 :D

Is it really that important to get good results? Good results might not equate to good performance in their future career.

Turbocharged

this one also majority chinese right?

Is Buddhist school, but no, also has malay students, not sure of exact proportion though

Yah i know.

But the thing is........in my previous home in Sembawang,

The nearest school is majority Malay & indians & PRs of all races u can imagine. Chinese is at best 50/50. [:|]

And lucky i had an alternative choice. Natually i go for it. ^_^

No offence, but you sound like a racist. Why is racial homogeneity so important to you? Minimise FTs, OK that I can sort of understand, but you don't want contact with other race Singaporeans also? [rolleyes]

30 years from now, my kids will get their turn to hao lian here. hahaha. [laugh][laugh] [laugh]

Now that my boy is in P2, I thought I have something more useful to share:

1) I wasnt aware before as I already zero'ed in on the school, but the two nearest primary schools in my neighbourhood, are also the two most popular in the whole island. Thanks to the ageing population in my area, a lot of primary schools in the area were shut down. So dont assume primary schools with ordinary sounding names near your home are automatically easy to get in.

2) You are not just choosing a school building and teachers; you are also choosing the classmates of your kid, and their parents.

My son didnt have a good reputation in preschool, but he was nowhere near the "Big Bully" tag he has now. If you have a trouble-prone/assertive/hulk-smash-type kid, you may want to steer clear of elite schools, so you/he/she wouldnt have to deal with softie/pushover kids and their kiasu/kiasee parents.

That said, I can see the effects of competitive education. I think my son's command of English is pushing my standard in P6, and I have trouble with his Chinese homework even though I was from an SAP school, and read Chinese papers everyday. It is awfully exhausting just to keep up. Oh, my kid has the reputation of being the laziest in class... probably because I dont push him hard everyday...some days I am just too tired after work. Is this what you want, for yourself and your child?

3) Extending on 2), yes race matters. It's inconvenient to talk about, but it matters. Eg. it will be quite inconvenient to speak mandarin outside of Chinese class if the school has substantial non-Chinese.... my kid's school also have almost no non-Chinese.

Anyway, yes, my kid is in a pretty reputable school, but mostly because my wife is working there and it's more convenient for us, although the frustrations almost made us decide to transfer school, including political problems due to my son that may have damaged my wife's career.

Hope that helped.

• Praise 1

Is it really that important to get good results? Good results might not equate to good performance in their future career.

your questions has nothing to do with whether the school is an elite school or not.

Good result is good, regardless which school, some say good result in elite school can be 30% better than the good result in a neighbourhood school. There is some truth in that but good mean they are at the level playing field when they go to secondary school.

good result will gives the student confident for sure. However, how to balance the result and personal value come from the family, or sometime the school culture also play a part.

All school is the same. It's the parents that need to guide their kids along with their education and not to leave it to the school teachers. Parents needs to find times and sit with their kids everynight to go through with them.

Look at it this way, 2 parents (husband & wife) taking full attention on 1 child is better or 1 teacher taking attention after 30 childs better. :ph34r:

30 years from now, my kids will get their turn to hao lian here. hahaha. [laugh][laugh] [laugh]

if they do make it in life late...then come back to haolian lah.....elite school doesn't mean can make it.....btw...many neighbourhood school produce top PSLE student nowaday...

Edited by LoverofCar

Is Buddhist school, but no, also has malay students, not sure of exact proportion though

i like that school, i believe it has a very good moral teaching.

I bump into a P1 girl from meetoh (recognised from her t shirt) in a tuition centre (CDAC to be precise), she saw me from far and not knowing who i was (just using their toilet in the building [laugh] [laugh] jk), she bow to me with respect, i almost cry on the spot!! i dun think i would ever met a kid like her in singapore.

↡ Advertisement