Neighbourhood or Elite Primary School

Caldina

Peer pressure, why not you sponsor her trip? :D

beside i think the enrichment class can be too much if the daughter is not interested (but ok if she is enjoying the classes).

Fu Qian

hahahahahaahaaahahaa

jk jk

No lar not asking for the trip thing leh

bigger picture

she say she not happy in that family lar

hahahahahaah

i sponsor?

i drink beer also look for HH leh

hahahaahah

HE DE HE NENG

↡ Advertisement

The parents in ACS are [knife] thou not all.

Parents stepped into the classroom and scold the teacher.

I used to be a contractor with the school and I've seen teachers crying outside the classroom.

The kids are not as defiance as those neighborhood schs,it's the parents.

Usually I find neighborhood parents more understanding.

As for my parent,they will tell my teachers to whack me harder [knife]

In elite school, the teachers don't manage the student. They manage the parents.

I see.. i attended the other pri sch. So can;t speak for barker pri. hope that was an outlier..

there are certain parents who are unreasonable.. my wife was a teacher and she can attest to that

also saw a parent who came into army camp to scold the major for making his son stand in the hot sun [laugh]

My sis was a teacher in a north east sec sch 5-10yrs back

she was also the officer of a uniformed grp

she jus made her student do 10 push up as punishment

and was reported till MOE

She gave up

Resigned n now a happy house mother of my niece

hahhahhaa

this terribkle spoilt parent thing started 10yrs ago oreadi

scary n worrying

Thats because those parents that long queue at those supose to be good schools have the $$$ for tution for every subjects..... -_-

Last year top student not from any of those schools ... [;)]

Don't talk about top student in the nation. A neighbourhood school can produce a national top scholar but the average corhort may only score 230 range. On the other hand, elite school can produce average of 240s to 250s for the corhort although their top scholar may not be top nationwide.

It is the environment that matters, it is every parents' dream to put their kids in a good environment and hope they can be motivated by their peers.

the parents has over-provided for her and never teach her the correct value.

bigger picture

Fu Qian

hahahahahaahaaahahaa

jk jk

bigger picture

hahahahahaah

i sponsor?

i drink beer also look for HH leh

hahahaahah

HE DE HE NENG

Heart to heart talk between mother and daughter needed.

Mother should reveal all these talk made her realise she herself is also not happy in the family after all these years she is very tired.

Wants to take all her money and go india/bali for a few years to find herself (like in eat, pray love) ... and ask if daughter is really for this change.. some 14y old quite independent already.

This talk will definitely shut the daughter up. [laugh]

Weaker teachers

the parents managed them??

no?

hahahhhaa

Green horn teachers will get managed by parents. I pity them really. If parents don't respect teachers, how can they expect their kids to respect their teachers in school.

My sis was a teacher in a north east sec sch 5-10yrs back

she was also the officer of a uniformed grp

she jus made her student do 10 push up as punishment

and was reported till MOE

She gave up

Resigned n now a happy house mother of my niece

hahhahhaa

this terribkle spoilt parent thing started 10yrs ago oreadi

scary n worrying

That is why this profession is constantly facing high turnover and harder to retain talent teachers. The system is crap.

Since we are on this kids thing

like to OT abit

i met my sis church fren, a mother of a 13/14 yo girl

The mum was having a serious discusiion with my sis

with me n my wife n bil enjoying our weekly beer session

i sensed something not rite so i listened closely

The mum is a housewife after dau went into sec 1 supposely to look after n help in her studies

the dad is a delivery man

this couple is very thrify n send their dau to enrichment n swimming n extra classes for her good

Recently, the sch is having an OS trip

majority of her peers r going

her parents cant afford

She told her mum

"im very disappointed with you n she is not happy to be in this family"

WTF[/size]

Upon hearing this,

What will you guys advice the parents to do?

Whos fault?

Tell u what some schools do. (shall not reveal school name). They know some students have financial difficulty, instead of declining them from OS trip, they make the students go thru interview and selection process. Then, the outcome will be only those financial able ones will get to go. This way, you don't hurt the rejected ones that much. At least they will think they can't go is bcos they failed the interview and selection process, not bcos they cannot afford. I thought this strategy is quite good.

Perhaps u can help feedback this idea to her school.

Edited by Roh96

Neutral Newbie

Tell u what some schools do. (shall not reveal school name). They know some students have financial difficulty, instead of declining them from OS trip, they make the students go thru interview and selection process. Then, the outcome will be only those financial able ones will get to go. This way, you don't hurt the rejected ones that much. At least they will think they can't go is bcos they failed the interview and selection process, not bcos they cannot afford.

Perhaps u can help feedback this idea to her school.

not to offend, I think most principals/schools will not be bothered to do such stuff.

I send my son to an all boy's elite school, SInce its a boy's school, the principal adopt a very stern way of management. When talking to parents, she talks down, as if we parents are kids.. or her subordinates. I was pretty offended after every group parents meeting.

On another note. Sending ur kids to Elite schools, you have to expect, the students in these schools to be richer.., go for more enrichment classes, are cocky.. cos they have more pocket $$.

This is a general statement, but it applies to most elite school students.

I was from a top elite school, but my parents werent rich, and did not send me for as many enrichment as I would like. So I did feel pretty left out. I too did not receive as much pocket $$ as my friends, most if not all my class mates stayed in landed/private houses.

Also, teachers will compare students, and generally prefer the richer kids. Sad but true, again this is a generalization, I do not want to pinpoint special cases where u see kind teachers who will commit their time and efforts on poorer students.

This is from my experience in a top elite pri school 30 yrs ago. I believe this is still true for most elite schools now.

so, back to sending your kids to an elite school. Its better to send your child to a school near your home, if its elite, then bonus. If not, choose a school above avg, would be good enough. Many neighbourhood schools have very good scores, checkout kiasuparents forums, where there are rankings of primary schools. They are well rounded, with special emphasize on culture, character upbringing. I like primary schools with a strong focus on chinese. Unfortunately my family did not agree so we are now stuck with the "elite" school my son is enrolled in. Lately, there are lots of focus on neighbourhood schools, and they are all doing very well.

There are parents who can afford to send kids for intensive enrichment classes and you will find that Elite schools tend to have more of such parents. "kiasu ones"

These households can also afford a single parent working environment, so typically the mother will be a stay at home coach for their child/ren

As such, its way more competitive in an elite school, so judge yourself, if you think your kid is smart, mingles well, good EQ, then he may do well in an elite school. Also, be prepared to send him / her to as many enrichment classes as you can.

Esle, he/she may excel in a neighbourhood school, with much less competition. happier childhood.

change school lor, pay money still have to see her face and feel offended?

Lun...Lun...Lun... Elite school hard to get in. He should be thankful that he don't have to face the P everyday. :D

Turbocharged

not to offend, I think most principals/schools will not be bothered to do such stuff.

I send my son to an all boy's elite school, SInce its a boy's school, the principal adopt a very stern way of management. When talking to parents, she talks down, as if we parents are kids.. or her subordinates. I was pretty offended after every group parents meeting.

Esle, he/she may excel in a neighbourhood school, with much less competition. happier childhood.

In these "elite" schools, generally the parents are more vocal and tend to try to "interfere" more with what the schools are doing. Father normally earns big bucks, letting mother be able to shake leg and be tai-tai at home, thus having more time to try to micro-manage junior's schooling.

In such situation, the teachers and principals got to be very firm in dealings with the parents, otherwise they'd be busy dealing with every little demand/complaint.

My kid transferred into such "elite" school through the gifted programme, and though the environment has its negatives - as mentioned in this thread, more "atas" classmates, expensive activities that she can't join - I am quite happy that in this new place she is no longer the focus as in her previous school. Now there are many other smart classmates with high academic abilities and skills, so she has better competition and realises that there are many, many other such students! This, I hope, can instill some humility and hard-work ethic - sorely needed by young people these days.

I know I am thinking the opposite from most parents... [laugh] ... that I actually want more competitive environment, ironically, so that the kid can have some rest from all the extra activities, school competitions, etc. - and thus more time to focus on studies, and learn to be humble and resilient.

Turbocharged

it should be best, bester...bestest.....so I should say...''All school are best in Singapore''... [laugh]

Yup, only hear the good stuff... [laugh]

But personally, I think we should take a realistic view of this: that a top school is just to provide a good, positive environment to aid in upbringing and also achieve excellent academic results. Good results then opens doors to better opportunities in life.

After the national exam... no one cares what school you come from. Only the results matter.

Edited by Sosaria

In these "elite" schools, generally the parents are more vocal and tend to try to "interfere" more with what the schools are doing. Father normally earns big bucks, letting mother be able to shake leg and be tai-tai at home, thus having more time to try to micro-manage junior's schooling.

In such situation, the teachers and principals got to be very firm in dealings with the parents, otherwise they'd be busy dealing with every little demand/complaint.

My kid transferred into such "elite" school through the gifted programme, and though the environment has its negatives - as mentioned in this thread, more "atas" classmates, expensive activities that she can't join - I am quite happy that in this new place she is no longer the focus as in her previous school. Now there are many other smart classmates with high academic abilities and skills, so she has better competition and realises that there are many, many other such students! This, I hope, can instill some humility and hard-work ethic - sorely needed by young people these days.

I know I am thinking the opposite from most parents... [laugh] ... that I actually want more competitive environment, ironically, so that the kid can have some rest from all the extra activities, school competitions, etc. - and thus more time to focus on studies, and learn to be humble and resilient.

yes, always pros and cons.

depends on what is best for the kid. (and sometimes what the parent want for the kid)

↡ Advertisement