KYB Shock absorber ride like boat

Camrytron

$100 labour quite a good deal. Which workshop? Did you do computerized alignment?

i just changed all 4 shocks to KYB. for my puny car, the cost for KYB Gas shock is:

Front: $128/pcs

back: $78/pcs

and buy 4 got further $20 off from Yuen Thong. Thanks brother Yuan for providing info on Yuen Thong.

original Mitsubishi oil shock cost:

Front: $228/pcs

Back: $88/pcs

Went to a workshop recommended by Yuen Thong and paid $100 for labour.. at workshop, diagnosed that front left wheel bearing got problem liao so change also (original Mitsubishi) that cost $165 for parts for labour, which is reasonable.

I saw my old 5.5year old 91,000km back shock, one cannot move back fast, super duper then recoil back.. another is stuck at fully compressed position. And best is both have no oil leakage. So moral of the story is cannot base on whether absorber got oil leakage to determine if it needs replacement.

Now going over hump very firm and car handling is better. noticeably much lesser road vibration.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

$100 labour quite a good deal. Which workshop? Did you do computerized alignment?

Went to a workshop at 20A Lorong ampas GSbldg off balestier road, shop call Tyre House. Did wheel alignment at Kenny after that. But apparently the alignment wasnt out by a lot after installation.

• Praise 1

QUOTE (Furrynadz @ Mar 26 2013, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm sure bo

my camry i fit kyb excel g at 4 yrs mark

now 8 yr liao

still ok le

not boat

i on michelin vivacy tyre somemore leh

soft soft

I think maybe is my rear shock also got liao. Tmr after confirm with ws than update here

Maybe ws give u defective shocks or wrong size. Hahaha.

If its KYB Gas it sud n better than normal factory KYB oil shocks. Was yr Camry Made in Thai?

Maybe from Aust. Those handling much better than the Thai models.

• Praise 1

Newbie asking question:

My vios is 7 years old now. I changed my absorbers to kyb for about a year now because the stock one had a leak.

At that time the workshop did not find any problems with my coils.

Generally the car is very smooth on roads and humps. Even when going over hump at faster speed I don't feel bouncing.

But I have noticed that when driving on roads with much patch work or in roads with ongoing heavy construction like mrt line works, the car is very "bouncy".

Have noticed similar problem in certain MSCP.

Have already gone for 2 servicing since change. Not told of any problems (do they even check?)

Anyone can advise if there is any problem? Do I need to go to workshop for checkup? What should i be looking out for?

Thanks

• Praise 1

Newbie asking question:

My vios is 7 years old now. I changed my absorbers to kyb for about a year now because the stock one had a leak.

Generally the car is very smooth on roads and humps. Even when going over hump at faster speed I don't feel bouncing.

But I have noticed that when driving on roads with much patch work or in roads with ongoing heavy construction like mrt line works, the car is very "bouncy".

Have already gone for 2 servicing since change. Not told of any problems (do they even check?)

Anyone can advise if there is any problem? Do I need to go to workshop for checkup? What should i be looking out for?

Thanks

Is your car lowered?

• Praise 1

Newbie asking question:

Thanks

yours is a jap and not a french car. If there is no leak and no noise, there is nothing wrong.

• Praise 1

Latest update. After driving Kyb boat for 15 mths, now did feel a bit better than just fix. But at some patching road, like our newbie mention it's still little bouncing.

After 15 mths I already getting used to it liao, like what Bro yuan say, u can't fight them than join them.

Supersonic
(edited)

So there should be no problems?

I just have to "learn to live with it?"

If "bouncy", it sounds like you have shock absorber problem again.

Servicing at a workshop may simply means they change engine oil, oil filter and other filters.

It doesn't necessary means they check your suspension or anything else.

They are many parts that can also fail, like bushings etc.

You need to go to a workshop and tell them specifically what's wrong, to check for those.

Recently, I just stripped out the old shocks and one of them was leaking badly.

I also replaced all the top strut mounts, bump stop and bearings.

But my shocks had probably done more than 300k km, so replacing them is no brainer.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Can i check for hyundai avante if want to use kyb shock absorber do i need to buy the mounting n stopper and bearing which i was advice by the stockist of hyundai to get these accessories for changing with stock shock absorber?

Can i check for hyundai avante if want to use kyb shock absorber do i need to buy the mounting n stopper and bearing which i was advice by the stockist of hyundai to get these accessories for changing with stock shock absorber?

recommended to. Because those things wear. Since you are already taking them out, why don't you replace them at the same time?

Since the labour cost is there, just swap out everything lah. These parts are relatively cheap compared to the shock absorber itself.

Neutral Newbie

thanks for the advice guy but wanted to clarify with you guys for 09 Hyundai avante is it necessary to change the bearing or is there any bearing when changing the shock absorber?

call song yi and they mentioned got this part for the shock absorber but they don't have stock then call min ghee they say don't have bearing for shock absorber. need bro here advice

thanks

thanks for the advice guy but wanted to clarify with you guys for 09 Hyundai avante is it necessary to change the bearing or is there any bearing when changing the shock absorber?

call song yi and they mentioned got this part for the shock absorber but they don't have stock then call min ghee they say don't have bearing for shock absorber. need bro here advice

thanks

Just changed mine recently.

I changed my shock absorber, rubber stopper, mounting and bearing all together. it's one whole set (can put it that way). Safer also. When my mechanic took out the shock absorber and dismantle the mounting, the bearing part broke into 2. The rubber stopper also tore into half. So thank god i bought all the parts when i bring for my mechanic to do labour.

Unless you 100% sure your other parts working fine, then just change the absorber can already. But change absorber or change all of those the labour is the same. so might as well change all of those.

bros, would like to get advice to whether changing to kyb absorber with lowering springs would be a good choice or just go straight with coil overs? tia and have a good weekend..=)

thanks

I bought from Min Ghee for full sets shock absorber but they never mentioned bearing for

Avanvte`09, Might it be wheel bearing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1