Does Singaporean lacks Civic-consciousness ?

Meanmachine

Recently, my neighbor disposed a wooden cupboard beside lift lobby at my level. [rolleyes]

In the past few weeks, they have disposed mattresses and bicycles as well... haiz.

Supersonic

Recently, my neighbor disposed a wooden cupboard beside lift lobby at my level. [rolleyes]

In the past few weeks, they have disposed mattresses and bicycles as well... haiz.

CNY spring cleaning still very far le, how come your neighbour throw so many things out? [:/]

CNY spring cleaning still very far le, how come your neighbour throw so many things out? [:/]

i think his neighbour going to throw himself out of the window next. [laugh]

Don't even know which neighbor did it. Also always got plastic bags beside chutes don't bother to throw in.

Supersonic

Don't even know which neighbor did it. Also always got plastic bags beside chutes don't bother to throw in.

Plastic bags beside chutes still not so bad. I always find plastic bags on the chute lid halfway hanging, as a result i cannot throw my rubbish! <_<

Plastic bags beside chutes still not so bad. I always find plastic bags on the chute lid halfway hanging, as a result i cannot throw my rubbish! <_<

Haa, I keep telling myself: going to move house soon, be more patient. My new house in Punggol, 4 residents share 1 chute should be not so bad compared to current 8 to 1.

I been to sea/beaches in australia and maldives. They have no bins around and their beaches are clean.

Ours with bins everywhere and yet you see litter in the sea. Hence we are not civic-minded.sharing

I been to sea/beaches in australia and maldives. They have no bins around and their beaches are clean.

Ours with bins everywhere and yet you see litter in the sea. Hence we are not civic-minded.sharing

I'm sure sizeable share comes from the ships ...

I'm sure sizeable share comes from the ships ...

not only ships but neighbouring countries... our beaches and coastlines need to be constantly cleaned and maintained.

Of late, I have seen many HDB 's owner dumping unwanted stuff along lift-lobby.

We can understand during peak season like CNY, HRP, Deepavali or X'mas season.

2day, I saw a 70% used tyre dumped along side the lift lobby, if the owner can be bothered to bring it downstair, at least have the courtesy to carry to the rubbish chute behind, should we start a thread to shame this dumper or educate them proper, cast your vote. Kam xia lu !

what have fellow MCF seen of late/ recently duped items

a) Sofa set, old furnitures

b)

Lack of civic consciousness is just a consequence.

The root cause is lack of consideration for others. Sporeans, somehow has this mentality that as long they don't lose and they are not being inconvenient, they don't quite care what happen to others. It is not that Sporeans are impolite, they often do, but most do not strive for fairness and consideration for others. 

We have grown a lot as a country and I wish we had grown more in terms of consideration for others.

• Praise 4

Haa, I keep telling myself: going to move house soon, be more patient. My new house in Punggol, 4 residents share 1 chute should be not so bad compared to current 8 to 1.

How's the chute usage for your new house?  [laugh]

We do have problems identifying if these people are Singaporeans or not. I am hoping majorities or not. But they how can we influence them to be us?

Of course the best place to cultivate is home but schools play a very important part because they spend many hours there. Once the habits are inculcated they will be burnt in for a long time. Instead of just focusing on academic results, schools must set aside time in their curriculum to instill in them when young.

We do have problems identifying if these people are Singaporeans or not. I am hoping majorities or not. But they how can we influence them to be us?

Of course the best place to cultivate is home but schools play a very important part because they spend many hours there. Once the habits are inculcated they will be burnt in for a long time. Instead of just focusing on academic results, schools must set aside time in their curriculum to instill in them when young.

there have always been civics and moral education in school, but i think such behaviour cannot be taught in a classroom setting. parents play a very big role in inculcating the right thinking and behaviour, cannot just leave everything to the school... also, kids learn best from following parents' examples. so parents themselves have to consciously be aware of their words and actions, and how this will impact their kids' thinking and behaviour... 

• Praise 3

there have always been civics and moral education in school, but i think such behaviour cannot be taught in a classroom setting. parents play a very big role in inculcating the right thinking and behaviour, cannot just leave everything to the school... also, kids learn best from following parents' examples. so parents themselves have to consciously be aware of their words and actions, and how this will impact their kids' thinking and behaviour...

True but if their habits are not acceptable to their peers, they will be pressured to tow the line. For example, if they generally don't clear their plates at home because they have maid. in school they are required to do so and ensure table is wiped, over time, this will be an habit.

True but if their habits are not acceptable to their peers, they will be pressured to tow the line. For example, if they generally don't clear their plates at home because they have maid. in school they are required to do so and ensure table is wiped, over time, this will be an habit.

you can assume a civil minded parents will produce an understanding kids for them to practice that in school.

If the parents are not civil minded, whatever they practice in school will be overwrite by how the parents behave or even tell them upfront no need to be considerate. What happen at home is the real behavior, what they do in school can be for show only.

↡ Advertisement