Does Singaporean lacks Civic-consciousness ?

Meanmachine

True but if their habits are not acceptable to their peers, they will be pressured to tow the line. For example, if they generally don't clear their plates at home because they have maid. in school they are required to do so and ensure table is wiped, over time, this will be an habit.

that is why even at home, parents should make it a point that the kids do clear their plates, wipe the tables and even wash their own plates if need be, whether maid or not (just to use your example)... 

in fact, my wife and i are discussing on not hiring a maid after our current helper's contract is up... more work for us but will be better for the kids... 

↡ Advertisement

True but if their habits are not acceptable to their peers, they will be pressured to tow the line. For example, if they generally don't clear their plates at home because they have maid. in school they are required to do so and ensure table is wiped, over time, this will be an habit.

Halo, you think our school is like Japanese school meh?

that is why even at home, parents should make it a point that the kids do clear their plates, wipe the tables and even wash their own plates if need be, whether maid or not (just to use your example)... 

in fact, my wife and i are discussing on not hiring a maid after our current helper's contract is up... more work for us but will be better for the kids... 

we did....guess who does all the cleaning up after meals every day?  [sweatdrop]  :wacko:

good luck!  :D

we did....guess who does all the cleaning up after meals every day? [sweatdrop]:wacko:

good luck! :D

haha i can imagine... will give it a shot...

Lack of civic consciousness is just a consequence.

The root cause is lack of consideration for others. Sporeans, somehow has this mentality that as long they don't lose and they are not being inconvenient, they don't quite care what happen to others. It is not that Sporeans are impolite, they often do, but most do not strive for fairness and consideration for others. 

We have grown a lot as a country and I wish we had grown more in terms of consideration for others.

agreed.

THE PARADOX OF OUR TIME

We live in strange times

We live in times when we see many humans, but not enough humanity;

We live in times when the rich has more rooms than children and the poor has more children than rooms.

We live in times when smart phones bring you closer to those who are far, but distance you from those who are close;

We live in times when we open Facebook, more than read books

We live in times when a single mother can look after 10 children, but 10 children can't look after a single mother;

We live in times when the rich walk miles to digest food, while the poor walk miles to obtain food;

We live in times when our contact lists are huge, but our relationships are poor;

We live in times when our possessions are more, but our appreciation is less;

We live in times when we know how to earn a good living, but somehow forget how to live good;

We live in times when many know the price of everything, but the value of nothing;

• Praise 7

I been to sea/beaches in australia and maldives. They have no bins around and their beaches are clean.

Ours with bins everywhere and yet you see litter in the sea. Hence we are not civic-minded.sharing

Because our tiny island is surrounded by those trigger happy litters from other countries.

And of course from the ships around too.

I doubt we litter at the beach.

Then why we cannot be or better than Japanese schools leh?

If like Japanese schools, it means that primary 1 to 3 will focus on etiquette.

No homework after school.

Can or not?

• Praise 1

If like Japanese schools, it means that primary 1 to 3 will focus on etiquette.

No homework after school.

Can or not?

I think we can go one better, Focus on etiquette and still homework after school.

I think we can go one better, Focus on etiquette and still homework after school.

I can bet you.  We will not be able to do that.

Nowadays, kids are expected to have tuition & know the subject before lesson.

Teachers don't teach anymore.

I can bet you.  We will not be able to do that.

Nowadays, kids are expected to have tuition & know the subject before lesson.

Teachers don't teach anymore.

To me, focusing on etiquette and consideration for others is part of upbringing.

Whether got homework or not, we still need to ensure proper upbringing anyway.

Homework is academic, up-bringing is behavior and morals.

I do not see why they can't go together, infact, I think they must go together!

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

To me, focusing on etiquette and consideration for others is part of upbringing.

But in Singapore,

academic achievement is No.1.

Etiquette may be rank last.

Unless you are planning for your child's migration...

Somebody just dig up 2013 thread, which I had almost forgotten i had the nerve to start one, the mentality and mindset never changes one bit, ppl still lacks civic-consciousness. No less !

The parents would complain to MOE and sue the schools for asking their children to do chores in school.

Thats what the Japanese schools do.

Then why we cannot be or better than Japanese schools leh?

Somebody just dig up 2013 thread, which I had almost forgotten i had the nerve to start one, the mentality and mindset never changes one bit, ppl still lacks civic-consciousness. No less !

Yes, still at least a generation away.
↡ Advertisement