Career switch interest vs Boss which one you choose

Giordanogavin

My director told me the #1 reason people quit a job is due to their immediate boss.

The most commonly pointed reason in any management textbook.

↡ Advertisement

This one is quite straightforward. Go for the good boss.

Jobs are easy to find, good understanding boss however, is hard to come by.

Even a good fitting job will be hell if your boss is bad. Even a great paying job will be sad for 29 days except for that one day during payday.

So no brainer....go for the good boss.

I treat my employees so well and they are almost taking my kindness as weakness.

So how?

Bottom line is when the boss treats one well, with integrity, mutual respect, one must reciprocate and know at the end of the day who is the Boss.

So when the Boss say jump , dont ask why, ask how high.

[laugh]

Maybe i like challengers so I will take on a bad boss.

However, if that the bad boss doesn't comes from the same background (sales/ops/account) as my role, it's hard to work along together.

I worked with a boss with the same sales/ops background and can feel the career progression in the company.

Until when I was made to report to another boss with accounting background, I only managed to put in 25% of my abilities.

I treat my employees so well and they are almost taking my kindness as weakness.

So how?

Bottom line is when the boss treats one well, with integrity, mutual respect, one must reciprocate and know at the end of the day who is the Boss.

So when the Boss say jump , dont ask why, ask how high.

[laugh]

I will say "You jump, I jump"

Good boss I would define as someone who treat everyone with respect, listen to feedback, give u room to do your job, create condusive learning and working environment.

Yours is a dream job. Don't leave. Which industry?

I work for a major Automotive supplier. I have been involved in car dashboard area, climatic control & Infortainment system for about 5 years.

a boss who micromanages is better than a boss who doesnt do anything (including fighting for staff n rewarding financially in a fair manner)....tat's my experience....the WORST boss i've had is this angmo who didnt do anything....then when he kenna the heat, he didnt fight for us....when it came to appraisal time, he gave us lousy grades n didnt care if our bonus was affected....

no surprise to all: i'm no longer working for this boss [;)]

Most bosses think they are good.

But perception is not reality.

There is no such thing as I am so good to my staff they take advantage.

Thats not gaining their respect but being taken advantage of.

If there is mutual respect then there is no need for them to remember who is boss.

If they need to remember then that is not nutual respect.

:D

Edited by Jamesc

Good boss I would define as someone who treat everyone with respect, listen to feedback, give u room to do your job, create condusive learning and working environment.

Very difficult to find a boss with all the quality that you mentioned. Usually you will find a boss with some of these quality only.

Many times even when boss listen to feedback, doesnt mean he/she will improve or look into the matter. Sometimes just listen only without any action taken. Or listen but ultimately the boss didnt 'accept' the feedback and use his/her own decision.

My boss likes to micro-manage though he often said he doesn't. He went as far as telling which route to take to the customers' sites, what kind of transport on business trips and which shops to patronize.

And every time he boasted that he lets his employees to manage their own work etc..... [laugh]

Most bosses really cannot see their own management style

but think they are really good.

Maybe instead of thinking how bad our managers are,

we should think how can I be a better manager to my staff

Edited by Jamesc

Very difficult to find a boss with all the quality that you mentioned. Usually you will find a boss with some of these quality only.

Many times even when boss listen to feedback, doesnt mean he/she will improve or look into the matter. Sometimes just listen only without any action taken. Or listen but ultimately the boss didnt 'accept' the feedback and use his/her own decision.

Yes there are very few good managers

So if you get promoted please practice all the above.

Many in MCF are also managers so please have a look objectively

at your management style and be the best manager you can.

Please also remember many people think they are great managers

but their staff will not agree.

↡ Advertisement