Toyota Avanza's price benchmarked against VW Touran

Lethalstrike

Well, some of my insider sources suggest that the pricing of the Toyota Avanza 1.5 which they will be bringing in within this year is benchmarked against the VW Touran 1.4 TSI.

Considering that the likelihood of the Avanza's OMV to be less than $20k is very high, it is quite laughable that Borneo Motors' & Toyota's head are still up in the clouds to conceptualize such a pricing, especially in today's COE climate. Its seriously a no-brainer to choose the Touran over the Avanza.

The Avanza has the virtues for being a very simple vehicle, armed with a primitive 4-speeder auto-box with an equally anemic 1.5 litre engine. The Touran on the other hand is much more well-built with up-to-date drivetrain (7 DSG), engine (1.4 twincharged) and safety equipment. Even the curb weight difference is telling (1410 kg vs 1095kg)...

The question is will you buy a $100k+++ mini-MPV meant for developing markets such as Indonesia and Philippines? For sure i won't...

TOYOTA-NEW-AVANZA-VELOZ-2011-5.jpg
VW-Touran-Austria-December-2012.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Avanza assembled in Malaysia?

The Avanza is assembled in Malaysia as a form of CKD (Complete Knock-Down) vehicle, in which parts and components are delivered in kits and they just do the final assembly and QC. However, i am quite sure the CKD Avanzas are meant for domestic consumption only.

Thus, the Avanza in which BMS is bringing in is very likely to be from the Indonesian plant directly.

I rather get Proton Exora Turbo. More spacious, comes with CVT and is equipped with rear aircons.

Edited by Coolpica

VW Touran is a good M.P.V.,only problem is the D.S.G. gearbox...

You sum it up well. Touran is a much nicer MPV until the gearbox or other minor problem hit, u wld wished u had got a TOyota. Anyway, Avanza is coming because of the success of Touran in the local market. Otherwise BM more than happy to keep inventory simple and keep feeding COrolla to its customers. MUch like KAH dropped Freed to feed Civic to customers but in Q1 sales figures, honda has ran out of gas, dropped out of top 10.

Supercharged

The Avanza is assembled in Malaysia as a form of CKD (Complete Knock-Down) vehicle, in which parts and components are delivered in kits and they just do the final assembly and QC. However, i am quite sure the CKD Avanzas are meant for domestic consumption only.

I tot Avanza is assembled in Indonesia?

I tot Avanza is assembled in Indonesia?

i would think so too, but Perodua has an assembly contract of it.

strange it is being compared to Touran, not even close.

cmiiw this car is an evolution of a mini pickup with passenger shell mounted.

Pricing the Avanza against the Touran is crazy. A more appropriate pricing would be between the Suzuki APV and the Daihatsu Terios 7 seater, which are made in Indo and meant for their domestic market.

People may swing to the cheaper but better spec Proton Exora or the upcoming new Kia Caren. IMO, I think the Kia Caren would be a good contender for this compact MPV category.

If it comes down to Avanza or Touran, it's not such a clear choice for me. Ancient 4AT or advanced and extrememly problematic DSG. I would rather skip both and look elsewhere.

If it comes down to Avanza or Touran, it's not such a clear choice for me. Ancient 4AT or advanced and extrememly problematic DSG. I would rather skip both and look elsewhere.

Ancient but reliable.. [laugh]

i would think so too, but Perodua has an assembly contract of it.

strange it is being compared to Touran, not even close.

cmiiw this car is an evolution of a mini pickup with passenger shell mounted.

Yes, the Avanza in Malaysia is CKD, with assembly contract by Perodua. At least, it used to be that way, not sure about now.

The Indonesian plant for the Avanza is actually a Daihatsu plant, which isn't surprising since its owned by Toyota as well.

I think they are looking at sales volume to justify its pricing. The ttl volume of Suzuki APV and Terios 7 seater might be too insignificant to be used as a price gauge and profits assumptions. So, they benchmark against Touran loh.

Despite the ridiculous comparison and pricing it will still sell well, so long as the COE comes down.

Rental companies will also prefer a more reliable brand to base their fleet on.

Once VW solves its DSG problems then Toyota can kiss their sales records (at least locally) goodbye.

↡ Advertisement