"Pay as you drive", a hint of what's coming???

WTF

piang, those who frequent up north will kena double whammy. will chalk up mileage in no time. don't use car here also have to pay through the nose ..... :wacko:

then we'll see more people "turning back the clock" on their cars......and ended with super low mileage... [laugh]

announced 10yrs ago liao

true....but now some sexpert said the same thing again, it might be implemented soon.....'cos every time before the garment wants to implement something big, there'll def be some 'wind sound' coming out first..... [laugh]

I would just park my car in the middle of the road if that this scheme take place.

still got those free carpark mah.......... [laugh]

but what if they remove these as well??? :ph34r:

still got those free carpark mah.......... [laugh]

but what if they remove these as well??? :ph34r:

Cannot, need to drive over there which will incur cost [laugh]

true....but now some sexpert said the same thing again, it might be implemented soon.....'cos every time before the garment wants to implement something big, there'll def be some 'wind sound' coming out first..... [laugh]

I don't mind.. my mileage very low.. lol

"Prof Paul Barter, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, said, "Singapore has a very high level of car use per car, each car is used around 20,000 kilometres per year, whereas for European or Japanese cities per year, it is more like 10,000 to 12,000 kilometres per car.

"So even though we have very low car ownership, we still have a lot of traffic because those car owners use the car more. Ideally cars would be cheaper in the future but perhaps more expensive to use, more expensive to park."

So one sustainable way could be to peg the costs with usage or distance travelled.

Prof Barter said, "At the moment you buy a COE which has 10 years, you pay ARF which last the whole time and those two amount to almost $100,000 typically for a car. What if instead of that, you bought 50,000 kilometres worth of car taxes when you bought your car, and 50,000 kilometres later you have to top up for another 50,000 kilometres of those taxes, COE and ARF, then you have the incentive not to use your car to make them last longer, so pay as you drive. This will be a way to make it more affordable, but still control traffic."

===

First of all, we are already paying a "pay as we drive tax" via the 44c per litre petrol tax. Then why not increase this petrol tax to $1.00 per litre sure alot stop driving LOL

also, is he suggesting lowering the prices of cars via this scheme? Kinda defeats d purpose of the new measures by making it initially easier to buy a car?? ALso how do they calculate 50K KM worth of car tax?

Edited by Duckduck

Why penalize those with high mileage but fast drivers?

Should tax those hoggers more as they spent their own sweet time on the roads causing jams for many others.

Talk only nah, haven't implement yet, subject to changes but main structure sure will not change. I hope they only charge during peak hours and super off peak like midnight no charges. If by mileage charges, what about taxi? Taxi will be the worst hit, thus hope will have Seperate scheme for taxi.

I don't mind.. my mileage very low.. lol

that means your car is parked when not use.......also kena charged...... [laugh]

Just another extra source of income! If got heart to implement, abolish all current ineffective taxes and rules and just use 'pay and you drive". KISS.

wah lan eh.. I have been talking about the idea for ages.

Need Professor from Lee Kuan Yew School of policy, a think tank to come up with it meh?

Puh lease.

More like put Professor xxx so that it sounds respectable.

↡ Advertisement