Number of new off-peak cars dives as COEs rise

Darthrevan

It's all good. I've known neighbours taking public transport to work daily but their car parked at MCP. What's the point?

↡ Advertisement

It's all good. I've known neighbours taking public transport to work daily but their car parked at MCP. What's the point?

When my wife was not working for some times, my park is parked at MSCP.

I cycled to work.

Car is my wkend toy.

When my wife was not working for some times, my park is parked at MSCP.

I cycled to work.

Car is my wkend toy.

So out of interest how many Km do you drive per year.

And how do you fit that in to the Service schedule???

I'm in similar position and want to know how to handle it.

So out of interest how many Km do you drive per year.

And how do you fit that in to the Service schedule???

I'm in similar position and want to know how to handle it.

About 10k km per annum.

I do oil change every 6 mths.

I had the same thoughts as you but for a ROPC, your mileage is high. My car's mileage is at 92.5k after owning it for 8 years 9 months and I thought that was high.

I did a spreadsheet and it is cost effective if one only pays eday license less than twice a week. If one utilises more then that, it would be more cost effective for a normal plate.

Back to answer some questions above.

1. Yes, insurance is definately much lower than a normal plate. I think 10 to 20%.

2. Qn: So your opc car would have lower value when you sell or scrap?

- Depends on where they deduct the $17k from. As mentioned, mine was deducted from my COE therefore if I drive till scrap, I will still get my full PARF back. For people whom bought the car at lower COE like 10k, the $17k will be deducted from their OMV/ARF, which in turn will reduce their PARF when scrap.

3. OPC seal inspection is $10.70 per annum. The only pain is you have to go for inspection every year which is your own personal time. $10.70 is a small expense to pay when you have already saved 10 to 20% on your insurance not including the $ you save on the road tax.

I am thinking aloud here. So if the coe is below 17k in order to avoid them deducting the ARF paid and thus the PARF.

What about 1st registering as a normal car and then convert immediately. You do get back 1.1k every 6mths. So in 10years it’s 22k. 5k more than 17k. Have not done any calculation if you can consistently get at least 5k in returns on investing the 17k over 10years.

Even if you do, this method maybe can prevent the PARF from being eroded? Someone want to chime in if this works?

But probably a moot point, since it’s still 11k to go before we hit 17k. Doubt there will be enough downward pressure since the coe supply will probably be going down in 1year or so.

Edited by Mkl22

I am thinking aloud here. So if the coe is below 17k in order to avoid them deducting the ARF paid and thus the PARF.

What about 1st registering as a normal car and then convert immediately. You do get back 1.1k every 6mths. So in 10years itâs 22k. 5k more than 17k. Have not done any calculation if you can consistently get at least 5k in returns on investing the 17k over 10years.

Even if you do, this method maybe can prevent the PARF from being eroded? Someone want to chime in if this works?

But probably a moot point, since itâs still 11k to go before we hit 17k. Doubt there will be enough downward pressure since the coe supply will probably be going down in 1year or so.

9-10 years ago, COE was well below 17k. Many OPC have their PARF deducted part of the 17k discount. Some don't even get the full 17k discount as the PARF wasn't even enuff after deducting.

Now imagine these batch of owners renewing their COE anytime this year or next. They have zero to little PARF to lose if they renew.

So to me, PARF is not something to value unless you confirm scrapping your car.

• Praise 2

About 10k km per annum.

I do oil change every 6 mths.

Yeah I do about 4km per anum.

But supposedly must service car every 6 months and info on dash keeps reminding 'service due' and sticker put inside car informing when next service due and need to follow service regime to ensure engine warranty in tact.

But supposedly must service car every 6 months and info on dash keeps reminding 'service due' and sticker put inside car informing when next service due and need to follow service regime to ensure engine warranty in tact.

Normal plate car usually service car about every 6 months, maybe opc should service car at least every 7-8 months?!

In btw oil change, I did it outside WS.

Go back to AD based on service prompt.

If you do only 4,000km per annum, seriously, you don’t even need a OPC.

Taking taxi is more cost efficient.

Much as I understand your eagerness to contribute towards nation building, the money could be put to better use, like contributing to charity.

If you do only 4,000km per annum, seriously, you don’t even need a OPC.

Taking taxi is more cost efficient.

Much as I understand your eagerness to contribute towards nation building, the money could be put to better use, like contributing to charity.

Most importantly if the person happy can liao, even he/she wants to spend his/her money on a car even it is under utilise. Even some people who stay near to workplace who drive to work also can consider under utilise the car lo. Cause parked whole day at the workplace, only drive to and back from home to office and office to home. Lol.

Edited by 13177

Most importantly if the person happy can liao, even he/she wants to spend his/her money on a car even it is under utilise. Even some people who stay near to workplace who drive to work also can consider under utilise the car lo. Cause parked whole day at the workplace, only drive to and back from home to office and office to home. Lol.

OPC cars weekends can use the whole day. 

↡ Advertisement