HDB working to unravel Boon Keng traffic woes

Darthrevan

14720730_0.JPG

There could finally be some relief for residents and shopkeepers near the Block 17 Upper Boon Keng Road Market and Food Centre who have been plagued by the traffic congestion in the area.

In response to TODAY's queries, a spokesperson from the Housing and Development Board (HDB), which manages the two car parks surrounding the market and food centre, said it would be exploring with the relevant agencies the possibility of creating another access point to ease the congestion.

It is also considering installing a display panel to show the number of vacant lots available at the various areas within the surface car park and the multi-storey car park, to help motorists better utilise parking lots and reduce unnecessary vehicular movement.

The display panel is not a standard feature and is currently installed at only four other HDB car parks.

"Meanwhile, as an interim measure, we are working with the (Electronic Parking System) service provider to deploy their staff to regulate the traffic condition during lunchtime," the HDB spokesperson said.

The estate, which is surrounded by offices and factories, experiences strong demand for parking and heavy traffic, particularly during lunchtime on weekdays.

It has only one lane each for motorists entering and exiting and a single access EPS gantry between Block 11 and Block 18.

Lorries and vans delivering goods during that period also contribute to the bottleneck.

Residents and patrons of the food centre TODAY spoke to said it can take up to 15 minutes to get out of the car park.

A resident of 16 years in the estate, who wished to be known as Richard, was also concerned about emergency services gaining access into the estate. He said: "What happens if someone is sick or if there is a fire? There are a lot of elderly people living here and an ambulance can't be stuck for more than 10 minutes just trying to get out of a car park."

The HDB spokesperson said it was aware of the situation and that it has also received various suggestions from residents to help ease traffic congestion.

"However, these suggestions need careful consideration and may not all be feasible for implementation. For instance, some residents have suggested widening the road leading to the EPS gantry to ease the traffic bottleneck. However, based on our assessment, there are technical and site constraints which prevent us from doing so."

Another suggestion was to implement a flat rate for parking or to raise the barrier and offer free parking during peak periods but such a move could cause "further congestion" as it encourages motorists to park their cars for longer periods, the spokesperson said.

"The EPS system, which charges motorists by per minute parking, is more effective in increasing the turnover of vehicles to minimise the congestion within the car parks."

In 2009, the EPS was implemented at the two car parks to "better regulate" short-term parking demand from visitors

↡ Advertisement

If I'm not wrong that entrance/exit serve several open carpark and one multi-storey carpark. Imagine the number of cars moving in & out using the only entrance/exit. It is not rocket science hence no need genius to figure out what's wrong.

You see ah. Market, hawkercentre and one 4D station, many ppl go there buy 4D. You say the place crowded or not?

Edited by Watwheels

If I'm not wrong that entrance/exit serve several open carpark and one multi-storey carpark. Imagine the number of cars moving in & out using the only entrance/exit. It is not rocket science hence no need genius to figure out what's wrong.

You see ah. Market, hawkercentre and one 4D station, many ppl go there buy 4D. You say the place crowded or not?

There is only 1 open car park and multi-storey carpark. The problem is 50 cars come in during lunch time. Of course, long q. Somemore, right after the gantry, it is a pedestrian zebra crossing.

Before electronic gantry, there is no problem.

There is only 1 open car park and multi-storey carpark. The problem is 50 cars come in during lunch time. Of course, long q. Somemore, right after the gantry, it is a pedestrian zebra crossing.

Before electronic gantry, there is no problem.

I know there are several open carparks. When you enter the carpark and turn right, there's one. Turn left and follow the service road will lead to MSCP, go further in there's another between 2 blocks. I used to go there quite often before they had the gantry setup. I usually park the open carpark furtherest in, between the 2 blocks. Short walking distance to the hawker center also.

Perhaps this is the reason. Many hungry ppl park where the hawker center is visible. All crowd around there which is also near the entrance/exit. Jam lor. A lot of ppl dunno there are a lot of parking lot further inwards.

Edited by Watwheels

I think I have tasted better ones.. esp at Adam Road.. :wub:

Ok, now we know, that place also needs to fix the jam liao

I know there are several open carparks. When you enter the carpark and turn right, there's one. Turn left and follow the service road will lead to MSCP, go further in there's another between 2 blocks. I used to go there quite often before they had the gantry setup. I usually park the open carpark furtherest in, between the 2 blocks. Short walking distance to the hawker center also.

Perhaps this is the reason. Many hungry ppl park where the hawker center is visible. All crowd around there which is also near the entrance/exit. Jam lor. A lot of ppl dunno there are a lot of parking lot further inwards.

The open car park are spread around the entire estate. The problem is caused by gantry. Imagine, it takes 5 sec to clear 1 car. How long does it take to clear 50 cars during lunch time?

The open car park are spread around the entire estate. The problem is caused by gantry. Imagine, it takes 5 sec to clear 1 car. How long does it take to clear 50 cars during lunch time?

The one and only entrance/exit is causing the bottleneck, serving so many cars. If small carpark got gantry or not it doesn't matter. Dan there are hungry ppl looking for parking lots which is also near the entrance/exit. Looking at the problem, they can't open another entrance/exit. If close off the section next to the hawkercentre, there will be less parking lots. Actually come to think of it, it's better to close off the section of the carpark.

Edited by Watwheels

each carpark that has been 'outsourced' with gantry also got this problem. Without that gantry,can just drive in or out.

With that stupid thing, hv to slow down & stop & with all those humps at the gantry, sure slow & jam lah.

each carpark that has been 'outsourced' with gantry also got this problem. Without that gantry,can just drive in or out.

With that stupid thing, hv to slow down & stop & with all those humps at the gantry, sure slow & jam lah.

Haha...Looking at the coupon tampering thread and this thread I LOL. That side ppl say carpark is better with gantry setup. Here say it's better without. :D

Just like holland v public car park. Years ago when they build the double story carpark, I wondered why they don't build another 2 or 3 more stories. Then lemon lim flooded the road with cheap coe so now that area forever traffic jam too. Maybe should apply lemon law to ministers as well hahaha

kambing soup bloody exp ..... but damm nice....

The different parts of a sheep like ribs, tongue, kaki, heart and brain can be ordered. Got once I wanted to buy only ribs for lunch, I actually told him pork rib soup and only realize when I walk back to my table. Lucky they never come and bash me up.

↡ Advertisement