Farrer Road Flyover Death trap

Mockngbrd

Just a heads up to all drivers. I use that road every weekend and have to agree, whoever designed lane 1 is a blockhead.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-singapore...death-trap.html

33ngrph.jpg

For those lazy to click thru:

Heads up to all - I have seen accidents there an average of about once a week.

From minor ones to major car pile ups with injuries.

And its always at the same section and lane in the same direction.

I had a look at the flyover at that spot and I found a series of metal grills

to evacuate water. I have at one time almost suffered the same fate but my

CSC5P held it together. And I was travelling at 70kmh.

I have gone to the LTA and my MP. 2 years and hundreds of accidents later -

NO ACTION.

The best I could do is to warn all the guys here ..... be careful when you use

this flyover in the direction of Holland Road (Downwards).

The red line marks the area where it has occured for the last 2 years.

The sound of the accidents wakes the whole area up ....... ususally the vehicle would screech for 3 secs then ram into the wall ... bounce off followed by a skid or spin. Then another vehicle or 2 would finish it off by ramming into the first vehicle.

Those gahmen agencies ...... did nothing. Quite sickening sometimes when I see the TP come to clean up the mess. Shouted at the driver. Scold him why speeding. Driver said he did not speed. TP said cannot be ...... no reason why he can lose control if below speed limit there. Arguments between TP and driver quite loud. And those living near that area can hear clearly.

You sure the accident was caused by the grilles-drain covers?

Both accidents had the USUAL tyre screeching then silence (sometimes if I happen to be at my window and I hear the screech - I can catch glimpse of the car like its doing ballet on stage) followed by the bang (metal on wall - deeper tone).

Sometimes you get a few more bangs (metal to metal as in cars crashing into that car - higher tone). Normally you would see the car facing the opposit direction in the end. I experienced it personally as well ....... But I managed to control my car.

To answer your question - yes. The metal grills because the screeching alludes to a lost of traction. And being that rubber has bad traction on metal and in this case strips of metal (contact patch of tire is not full) arranged in the same direction as the vehicle's travel route on .... Next to the divider - And that the cars always seems to end up hitting the divider ..... It points to those grills.

End of the day ...... Look at the number of accidents at that spot since I started the post ....... And it just keeps happening.

Yesterday i drove past, just saw the entire flyover closed off because of another accident.

2nv5ls9.jpg

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement

Ya, to locate the drain grills there are dumb. But on the flip side, lane 1 is pretty wide and a large SUV can safely drive on lane 1 without going over the grills as long as you stick to the speed limit.

I have to agree on that...whenever I pass that area...I will drive outward abit just to avoid the grilles...I'm not surprise it caused accidents there as it is a bent and the grilles cause the tyre to lost grip easily...(I kana a couple of times but at lower speed so I can still control my car...).....a simple solution now is to paint those ''3D'' line that vibrate the car......along that area to warn drivers to avoid driving too close to the grilles...it is possible as that lane is rather wide....

Edited by LoverofCar

I share your concern about the design there too. However, I feel that it is not the grilles themselves that are actual problem itself. If you travel sedately over the metal grilles, you will notice your tires going ceaselessly up and down.

Apparently the bitumen surfacing of the road bordering the grilles tapers up and down. The troubling thing is that only the right wheels experience this so couple this effect with the stretch being an actual bend, I think it is a risky design. At the pedestrian speed of 60km/h, some cars may already experience skipping as some suspensions deflect imperfections on the road rather than absorb them.

Edited by Happily1986

Supercharged

Ya, to locate the drain grills there are dumb. But on the flip side, lane 1 is pretty wide and a large SUV can safely drive on lane 1 without going over the grills as long as you stick to the speed limit.

Agree, stick to 50 or 60 you will be fine

Turbocharged

I also drive past this area quite regularly, as well as many of the new flyovers.

Keeping to 70km/h limit or even slightly above should be no problem. Only problem happens is when drivers speed excessively.

My theory is that vehicles have less grip on the road because of combination of factors, i.e. overspeed, going round bend and also the road elevation changes (drop?).

Simple solution for drivers is just to keep away from those railings... I often wonder why people like to drive so close to the concrete barrier and railings - maybe because our driving seat is on the right?? I know they have some kind of "magnetic" effect on careless drivers [laugh] Also have caught myself several times drifting too near when attention is not 100%.

Thank for the info though, and best solution is to be aware of such danger spots. Another place that commonly have accidents, if you notice, is on the PIE heading to the west, between the whitley road entrance and the exit to stevens road. Particularly dangerous is the right-most lane. Road bends to the right, and view ahead is obscured by bushes on the central divider. Vehicles also tend to speed around the bend then encounter vehicle in front sudden stop... Sure recipe for chain collision.

I also drive past this area quite regularly, as well as many of the new flyovers.

Keeping to 70km/h limit or even slightly above should be no problem. Only problem happens is when drivers speed excessively.

My theory is that vehicles have less grip on the road because of combination of factors, i.e. overspeed, going round bend and also the road elevation changes (drop?).

Simple solution for drivers is just to keep away from those railings... I often wonder why people like to drive so close to the concrete barrier and railings - maybe because our driving seat is on the right?? I know they have some kind of "magnetic" effect on careless drivers [laugh] Also have caught myself several times drifting too near when attention is not 100%.

Thank for the info though, and best solution is to be aware of such danger spots. Another place that commonly have accidents, if you notice, is on the PIE heading to the west, between the whitley road entrance and the exit to stevens road. Particularly dangerous is the right-most lane. Road bends to the right, and view ahead is obscured by bushes on the central divider. Vehicles also tend to speed around the bend then encounter vehicle in front sudden stop... Sure recipe for chain collision.

that whole stretch.. I just keep to 70-80..

Thats y must follow speed limit...if want to chiong at least know the road well....got lots of surprises on the highway like this or huge humps bends that bend more than usual.....lucky not many pots holes like JB.

Turbocharged

lose traction over this is a joke shows how pathetic some drivers are

that's a little uncalled for ...

Turbocharged

Metal grilles esp on wet weather is a recipes for disaster. i learn this the hard way during my cycling days.

Metal grilles esp on wet weather is a recipes for disaster. i learn this the hard way during my cycling days.

its not just metal grilles, like another forumer mentioned, whenever there is a grille, the road around it has a depression so your entire right side will be going up/down/up/down throughout.

been using this road for more than 20 years. No problems at all as I use the grille edge as a guide for my tyres.

And so far, I dont see accidents there. Likely my timings are different from some here who have observed.

• Praise 1

I use that road every week. D only way u can lose control there is if speeding. Stick to the 70kmh I dunno how anyone will crash. Ive seen so many cars going above speed limit there. Maybe just put a road hump there lor hahaha confirm nobody want to speed liao

mai haolian lah....is good to be confident.. but not over confident..below picture for you.. [laugh]

snap-74.png

snap1-11.png

Edited by LoverofCar

I use that road every week. D only way u can lose control there is if speeding. Stick to the 70kmh I dunno how anyone will crash. Ive seen so many cars going above speed limit there. Maybe just put a road hump there lor hahaha confirm nobody want to speed liao

why do u think luxury cars come with multilink front :D

no la, some maybe don't know the road well and cannot react in time. anyway there was a study about reaction time and they realise it's not reaction time, but anticipating what will happen.

↡ Advertisement