Do waiters/cooks receive a cut of the service charge?

Karoon

Turbocharged

I was at a restaurant waiting and watching the teenage waiters and waitresses work their butts off serving a very crowded dinner crowd.

I told my wife even though their salaries are low and they receive no tips, hopefully their cut of the 10% service charge makes up for the effort.

My wife, who knows the F&B industry quite well, laughed and said only in the ideal world. In the real world all revenues go to towkay's wallet.

That left me quite disturbed.

Any waiters, F&B fellas can clarify?

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator

I was at a restaurant waiting and watching the teenage waiters and waitresses work their butts off serving a very crowded dinner crowd.

I told my wife even though their salaries are low and they receive no tips, hopefully their cut of the 10% service charge makes up for the effort.

My wife, who knows the F&B industry quite well, laughed and said only in the ideal world. In the real world all revenues go to towkay's wallet.

yes true. for many f&b joints, service charge + tips don't go to the workers.

sometimes the tips will be pooled together and divided among the whole team. note: only SOME companies practice this. and tips are usually not much.

for runaway bills, the staff might even have to pay out of own pocket.

and runaway bills equals customers who EAT & DON'T PAY.

Cash register shortage will also be deducted from staff's pocket even if you didn't pocket it, even if you are sure you did not give the wrong change.

yes true. for many f&b joints, service charge + tips don't go to the workers.

sometimes the tips will be pooled together and divided among the whole team. note: only SOME companies practice this. and tips are usually not much.

for runaway bills, the staff might even have to pay out of own pocket.

and runaway bills equals customers who EAT & DON'T PAY.

Cash register shortage will also be deducted from staff's pocket even if you didn't pocket it, even if you are sure you did not give the wrong change.

boss gets the service charge typically.

Majority NOPE. I suspect some bosses even make employees declare and handover tips, maybe don't even distribute out.

That's why this industry always cannot get workers, high attrition rate, service standards never improve, but drop year by year.

Supersonic

If I wanna tip, after signing my credit card bill, I will hand cash directly to the waiter/waitress quietly.

Apart from the tips, towel and chinese tea charges are shared amongst the service staff. The 10% svc charge goes to the owners. They used to have fixed service points, over and above the basic wage (awarded based on seniority) where each point has a certain dollar value but was discontinued as the owners have to top-up if the business is not good as that is a component of staff wages.

when I was working as p/t waiter in my schooling days, the tip box takings will be shared among service staff. none for cooks.

The 10% - I have not heard any F&B establishments giving to staff. They always say it's already computed into their salary

when I was working as p/t waiter in my schooling days, the tip box takings will be shared among service staff. none for cooks.

The 10% - I have not heard any F&B establishments giving to staff. They always say it's already computed into their salary

there was once a restaurant gave away all the 10% service charge or extra tips from customer to the staff who directly serve the assigned tables. meaning if you serve 5 tables tonite total bill of $3000, you get the full $300 plus any tips given by the customer (some may give $50).

the service staff will have to share a small portion to the bar counter staff (end up he still keep 70-80% of the total). it was quite good money for the staff in this restaurant. unfortunately the restaurant didn't last too long [laugh]

Edited by Jman888

generally service charge is part of the establishment's charge to customer for it as a commodity. That usually is part of the restaurant's revenue.

As for tips, it depends. From chats with many service staffs i came across, there are 2 kinds of tips. Those that go into the tip box, it is consolidated and shared at the end of month. For those that is handed directly to the service staff, it is for him/her to keep.

But of cos, some farkup companies will demand ALL tips to be handed over to be divided. So what you get due to your personal exceptional service has to be shared by slackers who totally bochup.

Their salaries are low? What work pass does this foreigners holding if they are employed as waiters and waitresses? [:/]

Their salaries are low? What work pass does this foreigners holding if they are employed as waiters and waitresses? [:/]

FnB service staff holds work permit. I think for WP holders, there is no min wage unlike employment passes.

the levy cost the company $300-$400+ each [:)]

FnB service staff holds work permit. I think for WP holders, there is no min wage unlike employment passes.

Even for filipino also holding work permit? [:/] I though filipino only can apply S-pass for them? [:/]

the levy cost the company $300-$400+ each [:)]

Even the levy cost the company $300-$400+ each, the company cannot deduct the levy from the workers salary, right? [:/]

↡ Advertisement