Between Hyundai Elantra and Toyota Altis.....

Dechachng

Supersonic

Hmm my old Altis Seats lower than the elantra.

5th gen is the previous generation?

5th gen elantra should be model from 2011? The car roof of this car is sloping down, so overall feel of the car looks lower?

sad to say that Singaporean are still very brand conscious.

looking for status: merc, bmw, audi

looking for lifestyle: mini

looking for safe buy: Honda, toyota

• Praise 1

Supersonic

sad to say that Singaporean are still very brand conscious.

looking for status: merc, bmw, audi

looking for lifestyle: mini

looking for safe buy: Honda, toyota

I still think if you dont intend to drive the car for long, might change car within 5 years, any make/model also can la.

(edited)

Yeah Yeah. Korean steel is so hard that its the world's most tok gong steel right.

Let's have some real objective assessment.

No, you wrong lah.

IIHS does crash tests on cars sold in North America.

Corollas there are made in TMMM - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi.

Their steel foundries are also in North America, using higher-tensile sheet steel gauges far stronger than the flimsy tomyam-made Altis that we get here.

FYI, there are no Hyundai plants in the USA assembling the Accent model. The US Accents are imported from their Ulsan, SK factory. Same manufacturing source as the Accents in SG.

Also, what the US-made Corollas are fitted with, re the number of all-round airbags - compared to the local tomyam-made Altis does not have ... the latter pales by comparison lah.

I would choose any Korean-made car, over a Thai-made one. But that would just be my personal preference :)

Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

I've owned both before. Both are reliable but Elantra has better features and better design. Toyota has higher resale due to reputation. I just bought a new Elantra as it is cheaper and I'm not concerned about resale as I intend to drive the car for life.

Edited by Coldguts
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Hyundai has improved significantly since the Pony and Stella days.

Hyundai is like the Korean version of Altis.

Altis is overpriced for a Thai assembled car

• Praise 1

At current price, Elantra is 20k plus diff from altis.

Most ppl will prefer the interior n exterior of elantra n so far this car the review of this car is quite good.

We can can see plenty of avante on the road till now.

Ya I know the thaiyota fans will use the "reliability" to justify this 20k

And also the cheap maintainance, hello since when korea car maintainance is ex?

So my pick is elantra

Korean cars these days are equally good if not better in many respects than their Japanese counterparts. And if you're looking at a 20k price difference for two cars in the same class, it's hard to logically justify going with the Altis. I believe in most other markets the two cars compete head on, with the price for both being about the same, perhaps fractionally more for the Altis. But I don't believe there are too many markets in the world( other than ours) where you'll find an Altis priced at 25% more than an Elantra. If you ask me, That alone makes the Elantra the smarter and better buy.

Lol get the Elantra. That Altis is just so outdated. Just look at the handbrake and gear knob... damn... like a 2008 car...

nowadays Toyota ain't that fantastic unlike 10 years ago

Some pros and cons of both the model, 

Hyundai Elantra:

Pros:

• Comfortable and quiet cabin
  • Great exterior looks
  • Better diesel engine

Cons:

• Average performance and handling
  • Not fuel efficient
  • High cost of ownership

Toyota Corolla Altis

Pros

• Good performance and handling
  • Sporty and stylish-looking sedan
  • Quiet and comfortable cabin

Cons

• Air conditioning is not up to the mark
  • Poor after-sale service by General Motors India
  • Somewhat weak engine in lower specs
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged

Hyundai has improved significantly since the Pony and Stella days.

Hyundai is like the Korean version of Altis.

Altis is overpriced for a Thai assembled car

in general, i agree with what you said. Toyota brand price tag is indeed too high but many other conti makes are even higher. while they maintain a min standard, toyota seems to drop a few notches below the min. 

whether it is made in Thailand or spain isnt a big issue. it goes back to Quality Control of that company branding. if they dont pride their brand, made in Japan or Germany make no difference. Top brands are good at maintaining such image. pay peanuts get monkey lor

Turbocharged

You just compare the Japan made G9 Corolla (2000 to 2013) with the Thai assembled Vios (2003 model till now still using the same 1NZFE engine as the G9 Corolla).

The sound insulation is worlds apart.

I've owned both before. Both are reliable but Elantra has better features and better design. Toyota has higher resale due to reputation. I just bought a new Elantra as it is cheaper and I'm not concerned about resale as I intend to drive the car for life.

you are one of the very rare few who choose carefully, spend wisely and balance the check book safely.

But I would like to point out. Resale value is becoming a myth. All cars when you sell to 2nd hand car delaer will tell you no value. If not, the response is market bad. The price that is given normally is base on OMV plus % . the delta is not nigh and day. So buy what you like. 

I like the fact that you living the life of what you want and not what other people perceive or external influence on you.

Buying an altis in current market makes no economical sense at 100k.

You have honda city at 90k, elantra/k3 at sub 90k. I will gladly forfeit the so called "reliability" with Toyota when other makes are catching up or are even on par.

Can use the 10k to 15k for better purposes.

The lack of traction control and airbags in altis are the biggest joke while Borneo are still happily milking their loyal supporters.

Ha.. Seems like im not the only one who have this opinion with altis.

Only those altis owner will say their car how reliable or good the services r.

Just look at the recent altis review at sgcarmart. BM really need these type of buyers to support them. One word reliability can earn extra 20k.what a good deal for them

Supersonic

Ha.. Seems like im not the only one who have this opinion with altis.

Only those altis owner will say their car how reliable or good the services r.

Just look at the recent altis review at sgcarmart. BM really need these type of buyers to support them. One word reliability can earn extra 20k.what a good deal for them

Altis is for people who are loyal to toyota, no matter how the car design looks like, what features the car has.

Buying an altis in current market makes no economical sense at 100k.

You have honda city at 90k, elantra/k3 at sub 90k. I will gladly forfeit the so called "reliability" with Toyota when other makes are catching up or are even on par.

Can use the 10k to 15k for better purposes.

The lack of traction control and airbags in altis are the biggest joke while Borneo are still happily milking their loyal supporters.

The coming facelift version of altis still dont have traction control and airbags? I think the facelift model comes with 6 air bags, right?

↡ Advertisement